PDA

View Full Version : stock rear shock question

on z throttle
09-03-2002, 06:01 PM
I've misplaced my owners manual, and like to know what is the stock "sag" should be? I was trying to make not as mushy when I sit on it. But after reading some old threads I see what I did really work the way I wanted:(

airheadedduner
09-04-2002, 10:50 AM
:huh
What bike??

on z throttle
09-04-2002, 06:30 PM
Opps....... It's a 2002 400 EX. I was playing around with it today, and it feel pretty good. :o

airheadedduner
09-04-2002, 10:26 PM
BY sag I am assuming you mean preload. I played a lot with shock settings. You want to run the least amount of preload possible. This is how I set my shock.

Set bike on stand so the tires to NOT touch the ground.I then backed the preload nut off till it just touches the spring and then gave it a couple turns, then locked it with the jam nut.
Now use your compression to dial in your rear shock. You will have to firm it up quite a bit but it will ride much better. You may also need to firm up the rebound being you are not useing as much spring tension. If the shock is still too soft crank up the preload till you are happy with how it works. I have had good luck setting up my shock and others this way.

on z throttle
09-05-2002, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Yesterday I was playing with my bike. I sat it on my stand, and adjusted it pretty much like you said. Turned peload nut about 2-3 turns, I left my compression alone. It's set about midway or better. It soaked the bumps up really nice, the area were I'm riding is very ruff with pretty large rocks. So I think I got my tinkering as close as I'm going to get to perfect.:)
THANKS AGAIN........