PDA

View Full Version : crf 450 timeing chain?

hondajoe05
10-04-2006, 07:52 PM
alright so i've already streched one timing chain like no other.. i think my new timing chain is going out.. cuz like sometimes it makes a funny grinding noise and lose's power climbing hills which i don't do very often today although i rode without the spark arresttor on and oil burnt ... so don't think that helped too good haha

i usually jus ride wheelies and once the wheeles are off the ground i don't rev high or anything no over reving their and i don't trail ride too much or even ride the track so i have no idea what could be causing this continues problem...

my clutch is slipping a tad bit too but i odn't think that has any effect on it but my real question is how much hevaier dutty is the crf450 timing chain ... oh ya i basically have no engine mods bored ,010 over and never ran right since .. and im wantin to get stage one cams but i probably need this fixed first

F-16Guy
10-04-2006, 11:01 PM
If you're having to replace timing chains, you have other problems. I'd suggest looking at the tensioner and sliders for proper function and installation.

cals400ex
10-04-2006, 11:54 PM
ok, it looks like you have more problems than a timing chain. the crf chain is one link thicker than the stock chain. i would make sure the cam sprocket and the sprocket the chain rides on in the bottome end is good. you may need to replace the chain slides and the tensioner as well. if you are burning oil then you are in need of rings or valve seals as well. slipping clutch....well that may need changed too. if it was bored .010 over and it never ran right i would consider getting a whole new piston (406 or 416) and getting the cylinder bored out to match the piston. plus, you can make sure your valve clearances are correct and inspect the rest of the top end.

hondajoe05
10-05-2006, 04:13 PM
i had the tensioner replaced last time too...