PDA

View Full Version : had a car battery explode in my face today

polcat1p
10-04-2006, 07:20 PM
This is what it looked like after. I was trying to get my tractor running(dead battery) and was jumping it with my truck. My wife was turning the key, and i was under the hood moving the cables on the posts to see if i was getting a good connection. BOOM!!! thats all i heard plus a little acid spray on my face and arms. My ears are still ringing. Thank god me or my wife didnt get hurt.

10-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by polcat1p
This is what it looked like after. I was trying to get my tractor running(dead battery) and was jumping it with my truck. My wife was turning the key, and i was under the hood moving the cables on the posts to see if i was getting a good connection. BOOM!!! thats all i heard plus a little acid spray on my face and arms. My ears are still ringing. Thank god me or my wife didnt get hurt.

Did you die!??!?!?! :eek:

250ex13
10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
Did you die!??!?!?! :eek: Yepp.. He's gone:eek2:

10-04-2006, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
Yepp.. He's gone:eek2:

Poor guy... I only knew him for 2 seconds. :(

firefighterjosh
10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
What kind of burns you get? Anythign severe? You are lucky you didn't loose your site or anything

Pappy
10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
memories:(

insaneracin2003
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
memories:(
oh soo sweet memories:chinese:

bulkdriverlp
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
some people dont realize that batteries are explosive. i was in high school and it happend to a fellow student of mine. thats a common thing for people to do,wiggle the cables while looking down on the battery. your lucky

DieselBoy
10-04-2006, 07:33 PM
jesus christ. i'm worried thats going to happen whenever I'm hooking a battery up / boosting something. Did the battery acid do anything to your skin??????

polcat1p
10-04-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by firefighterjosh
What kind of burns you get? Anythign severe? You are lucky you didn't loose your site or anything
I tought some acid went into my eyes, so i ran to the out side faucet and flushed them for a while. My arms have little spatter marks, that were itchy. For awhile all i could think about was losing my vision:( I heard stories about batterys blowing up, but i tought it was from connecting the wrong leads

Pappy
10-04-2006, 07:40 PM
When a battery is charging or discharging, it produces Hydrogen gas. All it needs is a spark and kaboom.

From the looks of the battery, you had a bad cell, #4 cell from what i can tell. When a battery has a bad cell (basically a short where the plate material has warped or broken and makes contact with another) it will boil the cell. Back in teh day, I would test 200+ batteries a day with a set of prongs. Remove the caps, apply the prongs and look for a boiling cell:p Now i use a conductance tester that will show me a bad cell and save me from a blow up.

Might as well throw your shirt away, if you wash it with other clothes, in a few weeks any thing that was washed with it will start developing holes.

wvspeedfreak
10-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I had one blow up while load testing it one day.It was the same as a 12 guage going off beside my ear.I couldn't hear for about 20 minutes,it just roared in my ears :p If it never happens again it will be fine with me.

250ex13
10-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
Poor guy... I only knew him for 2 seconds. :( Sorry to hear :ermm:

1fst400
10-04-2006, 08:08 PM
I heard you can prevent a batery blowing up by conecting the positive first, then the negitive to a ground on the machine other than the negitive batery terminal. ( motor block, accesory bracket, or somthing).

But from what pappy said about boiling cells and stuff, it sounds like it is just an unavoidible thing.

Pappy
10-04-2006, 08:20 PM
your correct on the proper way to hook jumper cables or a charger up...it lessens the risk of a spark.

ive seen them blow and dent hoods, i even saw one of our guys reach over a charging bank (40 batteries) to adjust a charger and one went. the post creased his hat. if it had hit him in the forehead i think he would have needed some help:p

in the old days, we could count on 3 or 4 week blowing when charging and testing warranties. jason is dead on the money, it sounds just like a shotgun.

ugottabayou
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
That really sucks that happened to you...:eek2:

A few years back my dad had a battery out of a grain truck blow on him. He also thought some got in his eyes, and luckily my uncle was there at the shop too and led him over to the hydrent across the yard, he flushed his skin and eyes real good and found that he luckily didn't have any in his eyes. Just some skin burns, but he was ok.

polcat1p
10-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Now, im afraid to to the new battery in.:(

red2004 TRX450R
10-05-2006, 01:44 PM
that sucks
poor baking soda on every thing that got acid on it.
the baking soda will neutralize the acid!!
that will stop the burning on your arms too!