PDA

View Full Version : rev box vs. advance timing key

Reggie44
10-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know which is better (power for the buck kinda thing) for a 400 ex. A rev box or advance ignition???

wilkin250r
10-05-2006, 01:19 AM
It's really a question of "where are you going in the future?" It also depends on the specific rev box you are looking at.

Some rev boxes have the same ignition curve as stock, but they have a higher rev limit. On a stock engine, this won't give you any gains at all, so the timing key would obviously be better.

Some rev boxes have advanced curves. This gives similar gains on a stock engine as the timing key, but the key is cheaper. So I'd still give this scenario to the key.

However, the timing key isn't compatible with all modifications, but the rev box would be. And the key really only helps the low-rpm range, while a rev box will help the low end AND top end. On a stock engine it doesn't matter, because the engine can't get there anyways, even if rev box is capable. But on a modified engine, a rev box can give you significant gains in the upper RPMs. So if you plan on heavy motor mods in the future, I'd suggest the rev box.

81 clark racing
10-05-2006, 04:14 AM
ive had both. im runing the timeing key now and i like it more then the rev box. i took my rev box off and put stock on so when i modded it i can just take the key out and put the rev box back on.