PDA

View Full Version : Kids here need a little humility

sandmanblue
10-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Yes, I'm old enough to post this. At 42, I think I'm qualified. If you are one of the kids here - no offense and I hope you follow the advice. Otherwise, save your typing and insults. Doing that over the internet is pretty pathetic.

First off - nobody knows everything, myself included. But some people know more and I think that when people help others to become wiser - it is a good thing. Age isn't everything either, but lets face it, you don't see a lot of people at 18 or less that have proven themselves to be the top in their field.

My issue is that there seems to be a lot of kids running around that think they know everything, yet they don't know how much they don't know. Quick to insult people they don't know. Easy to make judgements and comments about things that don't know jack about. Arguing about stuff all the time as if they had THE answer and nobody else knows anything.

I used to be like that. But I grew up. In a nutshell, I used to think I was the fastest rider in town when I was 13. I entered my first race at 16 and got waxed good. That taught me a lot, including something called humility. Being humbled by people that are better than you is tough to deal with, but it made me grow up. Now I respect people that have raced - they know what fast is and they know what posers are. They learn to respect others for the talents they have. Instead of cutting somebody down, they applaud the achievements of racers and engine builders alike. They can also spot pretenders from a mile away.

So why post this? I just wish a lot of the kids on this site would go race - in an actual organized event, you know, with trophies and everything... Not in your backyard against your friends.

Maybe it would help them grow up and stop acting like they are the ones that know it all. It would give them a sorely needed dose of humility.

10-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Well said.

Those who aspire to act like adults will receive it well.

The kids.....will act like kids.

Ghost-Rider
10-04-2006, 02:58 PM
OMGZORGZZZ I BETZ MY TRX99876R COULD PWNT YOUR 2234R lol this a random thread but i get it i know bits and peices of this and that...i wouldnt even try to act like a know it all here lol to many people that know whats their doin no needs for 12 year olds

F-16Guy
10-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by sandmanblue
Yes, I'm old enough to post this. At 42, I think I'm qualified. If you are one of the kids here - no offense and I hope you follow the advice. Otherwise, save your typing and insults. Doing that over the internet is pretty pathetic.

First off - nobody knows everything, myself included. But some people know more and I think that when people help others to become wiser - it is a good thing. Age isn't everything either, but lets face it, you don't see a lot of people at 18 or less that have proven themselves to be the top in their field.

My issue is that there seems to be a lot of kids running around that think they know everything, yet they don't know how much they don't know. Quick to insult people they don't know. Easy to make judgements and comments about things that don't know jack about. Arguing about stuff all the time as if they had THE answer and nobody else knows anything.

I used to be like that. But I grew up. In a nutshell, I used to think I was the fastest rider in town when I was 13. I entered my first race at 16 and got waxed good. That taught me a lot, including something called humility. Being humbled by people that are better than you is tough to deal with, but it made me grow up. Now I respect people that have raced - they know what fast is and they know what posers are. They learn to respect others for the talents they have. Instead of cutting somebody down, they applaud the achievements of racers and engine builders alike. They can also spot pretenders from a mile away.

So why post this? I just wish a lot of the kids on this site would go race - in an actual organized event, you know, with trophies and everything... Not in your backyard against your friends.

Maybe it would help them grow up and stop acting like they are the ones that know it all. It would give them a sorely needed dose of humility.

Why? You lookin' for a race buddy? I'm in El Mirage; come get some!! :macho :blah:

yellowzo3
10-04-2006, 03:12 PM
i agree...people i know always say "im going to enter the next race coming up and i know ill win because i know i can do it...all the kids out there have no balls"...i cant wait for the day they actually enter and get their *****es handed to them. ive only been on an mx track a few times and knew it was hard before i went. but after riding on the track i have even more repsect for the mx riders and strive to be as good as them someday. it was amazing to see them fly past me like i was standing still and soar over the jumps like its nothing. the kids i know bragging about how good they are have never even been on an mx track. shows how much they know.

sandmanblue
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
i agree...people i know always say "im going to enter the next race coming up and i know ill win because i know i can do it...all the kids out there have no balls"...i cant wait for the day they actually enter and get their *****es handed to them. ive only been on an mx track a few times and knew it was hard before i went. but after riding on the track i have even more repsect for the mx riders and strive to be as good as them someday. it was amazing to see them fly past me like i was standing still and soar over the jumps like its nothing. the kids i know bragging about how good they are have never even been on an mx track. shows how much they know.

Yes, there is intelligent life out there. Good reply :cool:

440racer66
10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
i was the lil arrogant kid that thought he wold walk out and kill every one first race i got third so i didnt race fro 3 moths busted my but and heres the product of my last two races

Shift_450R
10-04-2006, 06:35 PM
its one of the hansons!!!:eek2:

440racer66
10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
haha you found me

not haha i do get that a lot and axle rose and kurt cobain laugh it up haha the guys i beat laughed till they saw me pass them haha lol

Shift_450R
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
And you look like Jay off of Jay and Silent bob strike back haha. all kidding aside, congrats on the wins!

440racer66
10-04-2006, 06:38 PM
haha i dont have black hair and thanx

AtvMxRider
10-04-2006, 06:54 PM

Well said:macho

x.system
10-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Great thread. Fact is most racers won't brag about being the best, they will prove it on the track. I think the majority of todays younger generation have lost or were never taught to respect their elders or do unto others like most of the older members were taught.

I'm older than most of the racers around here and it feels good to show them a thing or two on the track :D

I went down to deals gap a couple years ago with my new streetbike and did a few timed runs on the dragon. I thought I had a pretty good time compared to my buddies then this older guy, had to be in his 50's on an old beat up bike rolls up and asks if he can join in. Lets just say I was humbled that day and it reminded me to respect my elders.

Theres almost always going to be someone faster than you, if you think your the fastest your going to be the first place looser.

Aceman
10-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by x.system
I went down to deals gap a couple years ago with my new streetbike and did a few timed runs on the dragon. I thought I had a pretty good time compared to my buddies then this older guy, had to be in his 50's on an old beat up bike rolls up and asks if he can join in. Lets just say I was humbled that day and it reminded me to respect my elders.

You must of mistakenly driven onto the set of "The Worlds Fastest Indian.":D

But I agree, this is a great thread. I suppose it's just a stage kids go through as a part of life.

LilQJ
10-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I love to race and I am 12. I want more competition. the more the better riders we will be!:cool:

SGA
10-04-2006, 09:59 PM
Good thread!
I read your entire post and you just described, to a tee,

a younger teenager!:D

LTZ400rider
10-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by 440racer66
i was the lil arrogant kid that thought he wold walk out and kill every one first race i got third so i didnt race fro 3 moths busted my but and heres the product of my last two races

ur hair looks like this dogs ears! :eek2:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/99/EnglishCockerSpaniel_wb.jpg/250px-EnglishCockerSpaniel_wb.jpg

firefighterjosh
10-04-2006, 10:09 PM
Great thread!!!

Rootar
10-04-2006, 10:27 PM
yup coming off a 6 race win streak (my first 6 races that is) then getting beat the last 4 times on a row by the same guy hurts its hard to accept it really is considering everytime i improve my lap times and yet he improves his by the same amount and i still get beat by 2 seconds. you do have to grow up and understand that some people have been riding alot longer and have much more experience racing ive only ran 10 races spencer on the other hand races the GNCC has 2 brand new sponser bikes plus 2 of his own and has been racing for i dunno how long but has atleast 20x the races ive run. everyone has to learn how to give credit to those who have earned it, thats the turnign point i think the transition from butt munch lil poser to an upcoming and respectable racer.

well said and alot of us have learn this i the past couple years

but it seems for every one that has learned it 20 more join the site that havent, good job pointing this out and maybe some of them will come to terms with what your talking about

Toadz400
10-05-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 440racer66
not haha i do get that a lot and axle rose and kurt cobain laugh it up haha the guys i beat laughed till they saw me pass them haha lol

You look nothing like Kurt Cobain.

Anyway, I agree with what this thread is all about. I usually actually talk down about my riding, that way I never set myself up for disappointment or humiliation.

My first race on the YFZ I "knew" I was going to get my butt handed to me because I was racing on a basically stock YFZ against all highly modified MX machines. I of course went into the Beginner's class but after talking to the riders found out that none of them were beginners at all, one had been racing 4 years and had a KFX with the same engine kit that Doug Gust ran. I actually did awesome for my first race and was in first and second place for awhile but had troubles after hurting my wrist from bottoming out on every jump (was clearing every jump on stock suspension). Ended up with a DNF on the second heat because I thought I broke my wrist. It was definately an experience and I now have more respect for aftermarket suspension:D .

wilkin250r
10-05-2006, 01:31 AM
running around that think they know everything,

But what if I actually DO know everything?!?

sandmanblue
10-05-2006, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

There's always one in the crowd... :rolleyes:

I guess you knew I would say that though, huh?

10-05-2006, 09:37 AM

You obviously DON'T know everything, cuz you don't even know how much you DON'T know.

Toadz400
10-05-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by garandman
You obviously DON'T know everything, cuz you don't even know how much you DON'T know.

That's a triple negative isn't it? :p

<DRS>GPF
10-05-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by garandman

ya know... he now knows that you know that he knows that he doesnt know what he doesnt know..

so how would he know if he doesnt know what he now knows?

:confused: :confused:

knelson
10-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Prove it! Chicken or Egg, Which came first?:blah:

ghost450
10-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Toadz400
That's a triple negative isn't it? :p

yep!

Which 450?
10-05-2006, 01:41 PM
This is why I dont visit here often, too many kids saying, "my bike is the best, there are no bikes better, mines the best. And o yea, I know everything"

sandmanblue
10-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
This is why I dont visit here often, too many kids saying, "my bike is the best, there are no bikes better, mines the best. And o yea, I know everything"

Amen brotha.

10-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by knelson

The egg came first. The ancestor of the chicken that had the modern day chicken...layed an egg with the modern day chicken. Any others?

440racer66
10-05-2006, 08:16 PM
haha im not saying im the best im provin it on the track the past few races and haha i look like a dog your funny not but what ever not worht gettin into a internet war haha

wilkin250r
10-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by MrMan
The egg came first. The ancestor of the chicken that had the modern day chicken...layed an egg with the modern day chicken. Any others?

Only from an evolutionary point of view. There are other points of view.

Mxjunkie
10-06-2006, 01:00 AM
Only from an evolutionary point of view. There are other points of view.

God wanted scrambled egg's so he made chickens and egg's?

:blah:

trick250r
10-06-2006, 08:28 AM

you are the man for saying that BTW...

a while back (maybe a year or two ago) i went to one of the tracks in my district to practice. well, when i was coming up the hill to get to the track, i saw tim farr standing outside of this black van. of course you had your "i know everything and i have the fastest bike and the best equipment" types out on the track. well, they couldnt tell tim farr from the guy that dick chaney shot. so they walk past my truck and i hear them talking **** on how they're gonna beat this guy that came to practice in a van. obviously he handed them thier asses on a silver platter. i laughed for weeks. ever since then ive never thought that i was better or worse than anybody else. i dont care if you're pro or just starting, you shouldnt think you're better than anyone else... go out and PROVE that you are.

Hornbreaker
10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Quick go out and hire a teenager while he still knows eery thing.

m_townsgreatest
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM
now looky here all you old men nd women! I do know everything and yes my stock1998 Honda 300EX IS THE BEST! I know and you should know it to. No one will ever beat me on the track! Tim Farr who? John Natalie jr., who? In fact I am soo good that they wont let me race anywhere because of the fact no one can beat me. So all you old hags can zip the lip or meet me on the track!

lol j/p

extremeblastr
10-06-2006, 03:47 PM
i was never like that as far as the i'm faster then you even though i've never raced i grew up around racing and know how hard it is to jump into something new so when my first race rolled around and all the regulars were laughin at me cuz i didn't have the best equipment i rolled up wit my quad in the back of a 88 ford ranger and my gear was all scratched up i just kept my mouth shut and layed it all out on the track. Lets just say they found out that my gear wasn't all scratched up from bein moved around in my room. I hate posers and always will although i can say that the there are only 4 pros that i recognize right away and they are jeremiah jones,doug gust,jason dunkelberger,and josh creamer. and for those of you who run the beginner class and thing your the **** cuz you win it i happen to know someone who can actually beat you on a 300ex. don't believe me then roll up into a race next year at the nationals or neatv and ask for jason connell and race with him and see what happens.

and my apologies to all the "elders" on here if it has ever seemed like i have had a know it all attitude and for those of you who are 16 or 17 i really don't care what you think roll up into a new england race and challenge me if you think i'm slow

welpracing
10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by knelson

Not trying to be a smartarse because I really do agree with this statement but the egg came first. Dino's had them and the chicken came later on.

brandon