PDA

View Full Version : rim flipping? Please helP!

EX_stunter
10-04-2006, 11:14 AM
I want to flip the rims on my 250ex. I tool the rims and tires off and put them on backwards. Than noticed that the valve stem would hit my diskbrake! making it impossible to ride w/o breakage. any help?

xsr_racing28c
10-04-2006, 12:31 PM
fork out some money and get extended arms.. Flipping rims will only cause problems in the long run..

gbcap
10-04-2006, 12:42 PM
i agree. don't flip your rims. if you have to then take the stem out and put it in backwards. drill a hole in the other side and put one over there.

i wouldn't suggest this at all. get arms or spacers. it isn't worth the damage you could cause. more leverage on stock arms. more leverage on the wheels. un protected caliper/rotor. used arms should be really cheap for those pics. see what you can come up with.

F-16Guy
10-04-2006, 01:13 PM
Okay, it WILL put a little extra stress on the wheel bearings and ball joints, and it WILL create a little more feedback (bars jerk harder when you hit something with one wheel), but it isn't necessarily unsafe except if you try to do it with stock Honda wheels. The reason is that Honda wheels have pressed-in countersunk inserts for the lug nuts, and if you flip the wheels, there is a possibility of them coming loose. In your case, spacers would be the safer choice, and a-arms would be the best choice. If you have aftermarket wheels already (Douglas, ITP), you can flip the original stems around and then drill new holes and install new stems on the other side.

FYI -- Spacers will have the same effect on bearings and ball joints, and will also expose the calipers more. Flipping the rims (changing the wheel offset) and spacers are essentially the same thing. Either will cause more stress on said parts, increase feedback (NOT bumpsteer -- two different things), but will not affect the suspension leverage ratio (shocks won't feel softer or harder).

Stein2088
10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Depending on how cheap you want to go, or how rediculus (sp) i've seen some crazy redneck use old sockets as wheel spacers... it worked but like i everyone else says... save up and get a arms or at least spend the money for wheel spacers... having an open braking system will just cost u a new caliper in the long run, so spend the money now and do it right

EX_stunter
10-05-2006, 08:25 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I put 36 washers on the bolts and it works just fine :)

quader400
10-05-2006, 11:49 AM
well if you wanna flip the rim just take the valve thats there and flip it inside out. then you have to drill a hole on the other side of the rim and put a valve stem in that. i would suggest putting the new valve stem in the dead oppisite side of the rim too so it wouldnt throw of the spin of the tire

gbcap
10-05-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by EX_stunter
Thanks for all the help guys. I put 36 washers on the bolts and it works just fine :)

whhhhhhhhat? did you get longer studs? god i hope your lugs dont come loose.

400exrider707
10-05-2006, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by gbcap
whhhhhhhhat? did you get longer studs? god i hope your lugs dont come loose.

Sounds like a horrible idea to me too:rolleyes: