PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 2 stroke owner has questions

10-15-2001, 08:46 AM
well I bought my first 2 stroke quad on sat. It's a 86' LT 250R in very very good condition. The Original owner rode it for 3 years and then stored it for 12 due to his local flat track closing. He rode in the stock TT class so it's absolutely bone stock. He cleaned and changed oil after every ride. You could eat off the engine, it really looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. At 1700 it seemed to fit my price range perfect(better than the blaster I was going to buy for the same price) Anyway getting to my questions. I used a 20:1 mix like the manual says but the plug is totally fouling out and there are a few drips of oil coming out of the exhaust. I don't race, and just trail ride. Should I raise the gas/oil ratio? then if I do what kind of carb settings should I look to be changing? and when they talk about testing the plug and checking readings at wot, does that mean to just pin the throttle and kill the engine instantly or ride it out for a few secs? I'm just used to 4 strokes, so I'm still a little cautious about overrevving the thing. I feel like I should be riding harder, or at least in a lower gear w/ higher revs. Oh yeah and the power is like nothing I've ever felt. I almost flew off the thing when I got in the power band. WOW! I get a surprise with every punch of the gas. Well if anyone can help me out I'd really apreciate it. thanks

barbwire44
10-15-2001, 08:58 AM
Ive had a few suzukis and i always mixed my gas 32:1 and ran the suzuki cci oil in them and an ngk b8es plug i wouldnt worry about the jetting to much if the thing is bone stock like you said the factory settings should be fine for now.I would try to also stay at least 92 or hiher on the octane also. If you still foul plugs and feel like youre running it the right way maybe look into the elctrical part of her the 250 racer is pretty well known for weak spark from the electrical components wearing down over the years.

Guy400
10-15-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by barbwire44
Ive had a few suzukis and i always mixed my gas 32:1 and ran the suzuki cci oil in them This is the exact formula I ran in my '87 LT250R, '88 LT250R and '92 LT250R. Never had a lick of trouble except with the NGK's on the first bike. Switched to the Champion plug and no problems after that.

WyoDuner
10-16-2001, 07:33 PM
Agreed. 32:1, high quality oil and B8ES plugs and you should be fine.

10-17-2001, 08:55 AM
i have a 88 trx250r and i run maxima super m oil at 44:1 with premium gas

10-24-2001, 10:07 PM
I use a 24:1 ratio in my Banshee and I hardly ever foul a plug.