PDA

View Full Version : Hotcams Stage One

Fursphere
10-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I've got two bikes, both 400exs.

Both have K&N air filters and White Bros eSeries Slip-on exhausts. I've rejetted them, and thats about it.

I ride in the dunes and on the dirt. Don't do anything crazy, a little hill climbing, but generally just ride. No racing. No big air jumping.

I want more bottom end for the dune climbing, so from the description a Stage One cam would do the job.

Anyone have an experience with a Stage One on a stock engine?

thanks

krt400ex
10-04-2006, 04:43 PM
i talked to the guys at hotcams, they said that for the 400ex, the stage one will increase mid and top without u loosing any bottom. i would do a 10.5:1 piston, and advanced timing. that will give u more off the bottom

cals400ex
10-05-2006, 12:00 AM
i would lower your gearing and possibly put in a cam/piston combo. the piston will help with low end power and throttle response. a cam such as the stage 1 or xr400 cam should not hurt you anywhere. however, the stage 1 cam is kind of noisy.

jeep4by4
10-05-2006, 03:55 PM
I have pretty much what you're describing. 400ex, K&n filter, yoshi slip on, 1 tooth down on the front sprocket, and recently put a used HC stage 1 in and rejetted. Let me tell ya the difference is amazing.

I ride exclusivly in the dunes and have no problems with most hills anymore. In fact there's so much bottom end grunt that my friends have nick-named my bike the wheelie monster as it's hard to keep the front end down on hills. My roommate has basically the same bike, only no cam and an FMF Q-series pipe instead of the yoshi and you can easily tell the difference between the two.

As far as noise, I don't notice the cam being any louder than it was with the stock one in. Just make sure you get the valves adjusted right and you'll be fine.

2004exrider
10-05-2006, 05:25 PM
I love my stage 1, i felt a lot of difference in bottom end! If your going to cam both the ex's do one first and ride it then ride the other ex and you'll see the difference.

Jimmy