PDA

View Full Version : takegawa 124cc big bore ?

kenny9575
10-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I was wondering if any one out there has tried to use a takegawa superhead+r 124cc stoker kit for a crf 50 in a trx 90 or any pit bike parts made for the xr/crf 50s. If so what was used?

Big Red Menace
10-04-2006, 05:41 PM
The superhead will work, but the crankshaft won't because the clutch end is different. If there's a way to use those cranks, like swaping clutches with 50 stuff, I don't know of it. As far as the cylinder goes there's a 114cc cylinder kit out there sold by several different places like Dr. Atv, trailbikes etc that with very minor case clean up goes right on. I bought mine from extremefourstrokes.com for $140 cylinder, piston and gaskets to my door.
That cylinder with a TBQ race cam from DR. atv for $30 and a #94 main jet got me a TRx that runs nice for not a lot of money.

Dodge 1 Ton
10-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Did not find extremefourstrokes.com is this the correct link?

Thanks

Big Red Menace
10-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Sorry about that, use www.extreme4strokes.com You'll find the 144cc kit in the chinese pit bike engine section.

Dodge 1 Ton
10-10-2006, 04:00 AM
Thanks Big Red Menace I think I found what I am looking for.

Rockslide
10-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Big Red,

What kind of cleanup did you have to do to get this setup? I looked at the site and appreciate the info, this will be one of my projects down the road for my sons stock TRX90. Thanks

michmike420
10-23-2006, 04:34 PM
We ran a xr50 kitaco crank the last couple years,but you have to eliminate the centrifical clutch.it depends how skilled the kid is at riding it with no clutch.call rob at robs racing he knows how to do it.

Big Red Menace
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Rockslide, When you remove the cylinder you will see two spots sticking out slightly near the upper two cylinder studs. Basically you're gong to make the hole in the cases for the cylinder to go through round.
When I installed mine, I stuffed a clean oily rag into the cases and ground those little tabs away with a dremel tool. To make it easier to get in there I unscrewed the cylinder studs. If you go on Dratv.com they have pictures of this too in the trx90 section.
Michmike, I've heard of this conversion. I don't know how, but I get the jist of it. Basically it's like a manual clutch but run with your foot. Does this work ok for mx? I could see this for flattrack working well. I don't know if my little guy is good enough to work that set up. I sure would like to get rid of that two clutch set up on mine though. On this small of an engine getting rid of that big rotating chunk of steel would have to really help acceleration.

michmike420
10-23-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes it works excellent for mx. my daughter finished 5th in the 90 production Sr class at the nationals this year,using this set up.the setup just eliminates the cent. clutch,and uses a gear in its place.whoever does it for you make sure they have a provision for the swivel/oiler.It took Brittany my daughter a little while to get used to it,the main problum being that if you are to heavy on the rear brakes and lockup the rear tires it will stall the bike.From a horsepower standpoint,nothing else compares.Good luck.

Dodge 1 Ton
10-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Any body had a problem with www.extreme4strokes.com? I placed a ordder and it has been 3 weeks. No reply to email at all.

Big Red Menace
10-28-2006, 07:29 AM
When I ordered from them I called it in and received the parts in a couple days. Did you call or do it on line? If you did it online I'd call and see if he received the order. I hope I didn't steer you into a problem dealer. I only ordered from them once but it was a real good experience.:confused:

mxkids
10-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Classic Honda also has the Kitaco stuff. I know of several riders in the Nationals that use their parts. They seem to run good compared to some.

WOLFPACK
11-02-2006, 06:41 AM
You don't need the entire Kitaco kit. We have Kitaco kit for $1200. that has everything less the crank. We send the stock cranks out to have them modified. This allows you to use the stock clutching without the stalling problem.

The Kitaco head is just about as good as it gets. We do a slight modification that gives a little bit more but unless your racing nationals you'll probably not notice the difference.

Over the winter we are going to be testing some European built parts. We'll let you all know how it goes.

If we can help anyone with anything please don't hesitate to ask. We love the sport and there is never a charge for a helping hand or a bit of helpful information.

Shane
www.wolfpackracing.com (http://www.wolfpackracing.com)

michmike420
11-02-2006, 11:54 AM
Stroking the stock crank does work,but is a couple pounds heavier.That makes it rev much slower.Also you will break off the end of the stock crank if ridden very hard.We have tried it all.From a horsepower standpoint nothing compares to the setup with the xr50 crank.

WOLFPACK
11-03-2006, 05:33 AM
That has not been our experience at all. We haven't broken a crank yet and our motors are pulling on the others that have the single clutch set up. I know that most of that is in our head work and not the crank. None the less both cranks work very well but the advantages of not stalling out the motor are huge. Kids are wise to the stalling issue and single out those that run it. They stuff them in the corners so they have to hit the brakes. At those lower speeds thier motor dies and because of the compression they can't get it restarted by themselves. You need to consider all of this when deciding which way top go with your TRX90 motor.

I hope this has helped!
Shane

michmike420
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
We broke 3 in 1/2 a season last year,then we went to the 50 crank.We have not broken one since.All the top contenders at the nationals run the manual setup.My daughter pulled at least 6 holeshots this year, out of 13 nationals we attended,in the 90 sr class.Nobodys honda pulled ours.If kids are brake checking in corners,they should be taught the proper way to race clean.

ROBBSRACING
11-07-2006, 08:13 PM
IMO they both work well. There are pro's and cons to each. I will leave it at that. Our results are proven. In 05 we attended 8 Nationals. Robbie pulled the holeshot 14 times out of 16. Dam mud at Budds ! . In 06 we only made 2 Nationals and all 4 starts went to our Honda. Brake checks, well they gotta catch us first !

WOLFPACK
11-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Ha! Ha! You have a point there Robb!

So we decided to meet that one in the middle and just build a new crank. This way we can get the motor just under the 125 mark and have the reliability of a fresh rod.

We built one a couple of weeks back that we kind of an experimental project. It was the fastest thing on the track for a short time until it came apart. It was fun while it lasted and it gives us a much better idea of what we can and cannot get away with.

Anyway, we'll keep you all updated on the cranks!

Shane

rocket35
03-30-2007, 01:01 PM
How noticable was the increase in power with the 114cc kit and cam? Just a rough percentage estimate? Was it a night and day difference? Thanks!

Big Red Menace
03-31-2007, 08:41 AM
Very noticeable, maybe not night and day since I have the stock head on it yet. Definatly pulls harder and much easier for me to ride a wheelie on it.

fast44
03-31-2007, 08:54 AM
We have a 125 done by Loganbuilt here in Wa. This is National winning motor and pulls holeshots on the shifters. Logan made a manual clutch set with a regular clutch lever. This also has the lightened flywheel and lots of other goodies.If your interested this quad is for sale for less than we built the motor. Also Logan is available at www.loganbuilt.com or 253 381 3516

Fast 44

michmike420
03-31-2007, 02:39 PM
If it has a manual clutch ,it is a shifter,and must be run in the 90mod class at the nationals.