PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues After New Mods

5.0 Mustang Man
10-03-2006, 08:37 PM
I just got done putting in my stage 2 hot cam, completely ported head, HMF slip on, and cut air box on my 06 R and it is having starting issues. For the jetting to start with I put a 175 main jet in it only and left the rest of the jetting factory. It took a wile but the motor finally fired up. It kept on hitting just took forever to actually fire. Well the bike runs amazingly well and makes a ton more power than before and the idle to wide open throttle hesitation is completely gone. Im very happy with that. The only problem that I have is that it is very hard to start and sometimes wont at all. I went ahead and put a 45 pilot in and that didnt really help. What is wrong with this thing?

DirtDevilBT
10-03-2006, 08:55 PM
is the 45 pilot one size larger for the 06? If so then you're on the right track. Have you adjusted your air/fuel screw on the bottom of the carb any or played with any of the leak jets?

Also, did you re-shim for the cam and make sure all timing marks line up? Sounds like it's running strong just has that starting problem. Is it more noticable when it's hot or cold?

ghott
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
I was under the impression that the 06' ER's had starting problems anyway? Something to do with the decompression? Anybody confirm this?

5.0 Mustang Man
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
The valve lash is all set to spec and the cam is in time. That is really not the issue because once the motor starts, it runs absolutely perfect. It revs smooth and very fast and makes a ton of power. I havent messed with the air/fuel screw yet, it seams like a ***** to get to and I dont have an adjustable one on their, no dealers have one in stock. The factory pilot was a 42 and this is a 45 so it should be about right. I also havent been able to get a leak jet because nobody has those in stock either. Also, it was about 80 degrees the whole time I worked with it.

DirtDevilBT
10-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Ok then yeah, you ot to check out what fuel screws you can get on EBay or pm Woodward Specialties over at trx450r.org. I got my adjustable one from them. The hard starting WILL be fixed by adjusting the fuel screw and or leak jets. The fuel screw only controls idle and imediate off idle throttle response.

Dave400ex
10-04-2006, 04:48 PM
On the ER most have found that keeping the stock 42 pilot helps the starting.

Try calling Baldwin and talking to Mark. He can give you some good suggestions on what jetting to run.

5.0 Mustang Man
10-04-2006, 05:46 PM
I just got done messing with this thing for like 3 hours. I have been messing with the air/fuel screw and the pilot. Im still having problems. The best I have got it so far is with the air/fuel screw 3 turns out and the stock 42 pilot in it. With it like this, the bike is always very, very close to starting and a couple times it did start but I had to hold the starter button down longer than I should. I have found that pop starting it works very well and it starts almost instantly like that but I need it to start with the button lol. Once it does start, it runs great, tons of power, no backfires, and very smooth plus it hasnt stalled once on me like before with the stock main jet. So basically my only other thing I can think is that the leak jet is the problem. Does anyone think this really sounds like a leak jet problem? Thanks for the help guys.

5.0 Mustang Man
10-04-2006, 07:55 PM
After extensive research at 450rorg.com I think I have figured out the problem. I think the whole problem lies in the decompresor adjustment. When I put the hc stage 2 in, I didnt know the decompressor needed to be adjusted for it. Well, I found a very long and VERY informative post on 450rorg from a guy that had the exact same problem as me. Tomorrow Im going to try adjusting the decompressor and Im crossing my fingers that it works. It does make sence to. The bike wants to start but it is just off enough that it wont. Any opinions on this from people that have messed with the decomprssor? On a side nots, my 450 has always had starting problems and has had the starting mechanism replaced under warranty 3 times. I think the starter is fine now becuase it was just replaced and sounds good. So, Im wandering if the problem with all my other starters going out has been due to the decompressor never being adjusted correctly from the factory. We will see tomorrow. Any opinions on any of this would be great though. thanks guys!

ghott
10-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by ghott
I was under the impression that the 06' ER's had starting problems anyway? Something to do with the decompression? Anybody confirm this?

See...I'm useful sometimes...sheesh.