PDA

View Full Version : jetting questions

ny300exrider
10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
im going to be doing a good ole rejet soon and was hoping i could get alittle info on here being that it will be the first time i open up my 05 450. i have jetted a 400ex numerous times so im not totally new to it, just new to the 450.

question#1- im going to be running a uni air filter, yoshimura slip on exhaust, and cutting the back part of the airlid out.

what do i need to buy jetting wise to get this this running perfect? i have heard a new needle is needed...can i get the necesary needle and needed jets individually or should i go ahead and buy a jet kit that comes with a needle? any specific brands to look into?

question#2- what type of specs should i be looking at doing to compensate for the mods? im talking what size main jet, how many turns on the air/fuel screw,what needle specs and any other tweeks/mods needed. im around sea level. i know there is a list of specs over at another site but its down and i dont know how long it will take to come back up.

question#3- is there a step-by-step guide with pics anywhere on the internet? with my 400 i found a nice guide and it made things very easy

THANKS

ghott
10-03-2006, 03:58 PM
Guides can be found by searching on www.trx450r.org/forum (which is currently down :( )

I believe www.rockinhorseweb.com might have a jetting how-to also. Might be under the "HRC Install." Not sure on that one.

As far as jetting "kits" are concerned, I really dislike the dynojet kets. I prefer to stick with Keihin factory jets because more people use those, and you are more apt to find help when jetting with them. Most definitely use the HRC needle.

I bought my "jet kit" from WPP Racing (http://www.wppracing.com/Blaster.htm). I got the HRC Needle, 50, and 52 pilot jets, plus about 18 different main jets for about $100. It was worth every penny in my opinion. Now when I'm jetting, I have everything I'll ever need.

To start off, I would stick with a 48 pilot (stock), 185 main, a/f screw 2.5 turns out, and the HRC needle on the 3rd clip

ny300exrider
10-03-2006, 04:31 PM
thanks a TON man, great info!

yeah unfortunatly .org is down, i know there was a sticky'ed thread with a bunch of different specs but you quick post helped me lots.

i checked out the hrc install guide on rockinhorseweb, skipped to the jetting/carb part and i think thats all i will need pics/guide wise, not too different from the 400.

after some looking around i think i'm going to pick up the hrc needle, and a 185 and 190 main and then just follow the specs you gave me and see what happens from there.

now i cant wait to see what i have been missing out on with that choked up 450!!

thanks again ghott, although its a simple topic, it sure is nice being able to get all the info you need right from the internet

ghott
10-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Glad I was able to help.

The open airbox is what affect the jetting the most. It sucks a lot more air in without that airbox nice and sealed up on top.

Cutting the airbox lid on my R really opened her up...
So did the full exhaust....
so did the cam...
and piston....
Its an addiction:(