PDA

View Full Version : Spit and Sputtering and dying

trx450rider11
10-03-2006, 07:14 AM
Before i had a problem with it bogging when i was pinned in a rythem section. and we fixed that problem by cleaning the carb and gas line and tank. also the guy before me that had the bike had the air and fuel screw a half turn out. but it is 2 turns out now. then my cdi wire came out and rewired that. then it was fine. Now the problem is that it starts up and i do a lap and it will start to spit and sputter and then it will eventually die. then i try to start it and it start then spit and sputter then die. then i let it sit for awhile and it will start up and just do like another lap and die again. im thinking its the jets cause i heard he jetted it a little to rich. and also check the needle cause i dont know what its set at. I have the FCR carb with the quickshot,13.1 piston, hot cam. and a white borthers pipe. if you have any ideas what else it can be or what the problem is let me know.

bwamos
10-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Sounds like the motor is loading up. You're probably very rich.

trx450rider11
10-03-2006, 08:15 AM
so probably a jet problem. i got to wash it today and then im gonna take the carb out again. so ill let u know what the jetting is right now.

10-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Maybe cdi still? My cdi is a little screwy. Some times mine runs bad or wont start then i push on the whires and it starts running good.

400excaleb
10-03-2006, 08:00 PM
i have the exact same problem and had it for weeks. i dont know wahat it could be. ITS NOT THE CARB SO DONT EVEN WASTE YOUR TIME i bought a brand new one, didnt fix it. took the one of dads, didnt fix it. its electrical. i went over all my wires and are good, coil, and rev box and they are good. so i have come down to the stator and i just changed it tonight and i will tell you if that fixes it.

trx450rider11
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
today i took the carb off and cleaned it again and i moved the clip for the needle up 2 to see if that helps. i also sprayed off all the connections just incase they had water in them after i washed it. so ill find out thursday or friday if that worked. but yeah let me know if it works.

300exmanss
10-04-2006, 04:47 AM
how much is rthe 400ex carb and is it in good shape?

Stein2088
10-04-2006, 07:16 AM
sounds like to me she's runnin rich... i had my 400ex jetted and he jetted it with the air box lid off... it was a wet day and i was worried about water so i put it back on, and she did the same prob, (but didnt die on me) i'd try jettin it and mayb a quicker try would b to take ur lid of if u havent already done so, or just to remove the filter comp and run it for a lil in ur garage and see if itll die on u there... just make sure u have a fairly clean garage and its not dusty outside....

Nick

400excaleb
10-04-2006, 10:47 AM
the stator fixed it. it runs perfect. you tell me you will buy the carb for and i might sell it for that. the only problem is missing one of the screws that are in the needle holder thing, and i broke a jet in the jet holder thing. its an easy fix for both but i havnt done anything about it.

trx450rider11
10-04-2006, 01:44 PM
so u say its the stator. i just raised my needle up to clips and im gonna see how that does.

400excaleb
10-04-2006, 02:44 PM
i have a 400ex with the same problem. i dont care what anyone says its not the carb. you can take one off another good running 4 wheeler and it does the same. i took the left crankcase cover off, which the stator and the wires were connected to it, and put it on mine and have been riding it all day today and it hasnt even tried to die.

trx450rider11
10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
well i start my bike and it runs find and i take a lap on it or until it gets warmed up. and it starts to spit and sputter and then it will die and it wont start. then i let it sit and then it will start up and do the same thing over again. so i checked the wires, spark plug, carb, and i cant figure out what it is causing it to do that.