PDA

View Full Version : wat cam with a 440 big bore

Grant Casey
10-02-2006, 11:34 PM
wat cam is the best for a 440ex big bore im gona build won i mostly do trail riding but im gona start motocross next year.

cheers

underpowered
10-03-2006, 08:36 AM
a depends on what exactly you want. i would suggest a stage 2 or stage 3 hotcam depending on where you want to power at. a stage two will give you a good midrange with some tope end gain. the stage three will ad alot on top, and a little everywhere else. i run the old stage two in my bike, which is actually closer to the new stage 3 than the new stage 2.

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 09:00 AM
I thought the Stage 3 HotCam is was only for the Stroker Crank and Piston. Check your info. on that one!:devil:

underpowered
10-03-2006, 09:14 AM
no, it is just for big bore and stroker application. it works well with strokers, but can also be used on big bores as well. on a smaller bore it is a waste and will probably actually hurt your power, but on a 440 or larger engine it will pull it no problem. my buddy has one and it says Big bore/stroker on it, not stroker only. i am pretty sure i have seen other on the site using it in non-stroker motors.

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 09:22 AM
Honda - TRX 400 EX - 1999-2006 Part Number: 1051-3
Spec Card

Description:

Stroker Cam

Recommended for big bore stroker applications only, for more midrange, and top end. Uses stock valve springs, and rockers.

Like I said, check your info. on that one!
:devil:

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
As for Grand Casey, use the Stage 2. Here is the info. on the Stage 2 HotCam:

Honda - TRX 400 EX - 1999-2006 Part Number: 1043-2
Spec Card

Description:

Stage 2 Cam

Excellent top end increase. Suitable for motocross or desert racing. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

Here is info. on the HotCam Stage1:

Honda - TRX 400 EX - 1999-2006 Part Number: 1007-1
Spec Card
Dyno Chart

Description:

Stage 1 Cam

Excellent midrange and top end power increase. Not recommended for big bore applications over 426cc. Does not use decompression mechanism. Uses stock valve springs and rockers.

underpowered
10-03-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Chin_Chilla
Honda - TRX 400 EX - 1999-2006 Part Number: 1051-3
Spec Card

Description:

Stroker Cam

Recommended for big bore stroker applications only, for more midrange, and top end. Uses stock valve springs, and rockers.

Like I said, check your info. on that one!
:devil:

i did, like i said on his box is says Big bore OR stroker applications. Key word is OR. and i am pretty sure i have heard of, seen people on this site using it in Non stroker application. settle down, it was just a suggestion.

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Yes the keywork is OR, but it doesn't say OR on the HotCams website. Like I said, Check your info! It says Big Bore Stocker Applications Only, Not Big Bore/Stroker Applications.

Also, that is why on Descrition, its says, STROKER CAM!!!!

Rancher2005
10-03-2006, 01:15 PM
settle down Mr. I Told You So...... There are nicer ways to say things other than "Check Your Info"

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Rancher2005
settle down Mr. I Told You So...... There are nicer ways to say things other than "Check Your Info" And that has what to do with what cam he should get for his 440?

Franky G
10-03-2006, 01:52 PM
go web cams! best cams hand down:D

underpowered
10-03-2006, 02:03 PM
And that has what to do with what cam he should get for his 440?

I have Checked my info, every time you said to. His cam was one of the very first ones released so they may have changed the info slightly. but on his box and in his instructions it does say OR. agree to disagree. but the cam will work regardless, it is jsut suggested for big bore. Like the stage one is not suggested for motors over 426, but many 440 kits you get off ebay come with a stage 1 cam adn many people use it. it is not saying it will not work, only it is suggested for a stroker motor.

Chin_Chilla
10-03-2006, 02:12 PM
If you want the best reliable motor possible, listen to HotCams about what cams to run with what applications, not to people selling stuff on eBay.

PismoLocal
10-03-2006, 03:09 PM
As far as the original question goes it comes down to what type of riding you do and your pocket book. If you research on this site you will see that nobody has ever been unsatisfied with the HRC cam. The only problem with the HRC is that it is very expensive and hard to find. Some say that they are the best cam for the 400ex.

I personally run a Hotcam stage 2 in my 11:1 440(the new stage 2 not the old one). I love it. I had a stock comp 440 and in my last rebuild I added an 11:1 piston kit, stage 2 hotcam and a 450r carb. My quad is way faster than it used to be.

As far as the other cams, I dont know any thing about them because I have never used them. If your looking for a better value IMO you should look into cams that you dont need hard faced rockers for.

hondaexryda
10-03-2006, 03:31 PM
new hotcams stage 2 here and runs good..

CHEVYZ
10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
I would have to say that the HRC would be an excellent choice. As stated, I have yet to hear a bad report on one. Personally, I have been running a Stage 2 Hotcm in my bike, and I don't like it. I cannot wait to change it for something else.

underpowered
10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
If you want the best reliable motor possible, listen to HotCams about what cams to run with what applications, not to people selling stuff on eBay.

i never said it is the best option to run a stage 1 in a 440, just saying it is possible even though hot cams does not suggest it.

I would suggest a stage 2 as i already said, of a stage 3 for alot of top end. i ahve the old stage 2 and love it. pulls hard from the bottom to the top with my setup. i have no experience with the new stage 2 though, but from looking at teh specs it looks to be a slightly milder cam than the older version. the old stage two specs are closer to the new stage 3 specs than the new stage two specs.

i have also heard nothing but good about the HRC cam, but it carries a hefty price tag.

Grant Casey
10-03-2006, 10:46 PM
thanks for all your help guys.
im gona go with stg hotcam 2