PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor questions

A A R O N
10-02-2006, 08:27 PM
Okay, so I've been lookin around for an air compressor, and I've got a few questions. One big thing I've noticed is the oil or oil less models. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the two comparitively?

Any help is appreciated.

ShiftFMX
10-02-2006, 08:55 PM
I have heard horrible things about non-oil compressors, like they seize up or somthing. It just sounds better to have one that has oil in it...

quadfamily
10-02-2006, 09:24 PM
personally I think the ones with oil in the crankcase last longer. I can also tell you for a fact the oilless ones are ALOT louder. So if you're going to be working somewhat near the compressor keep this in mind.

A A R O N
10-03-2006, 06:41 AM
I read some articles that said oil models are harder to maintain, but last longer. Is it really hard to do, or are they writing to the do-it-yourself homeowner who has no idea what they're doing. I change the oil in my quad every other ride, it couldn't be any different could it? I wonder if it's worth it though....how much longer do you think an oil lubed one would last over an oilless one? Can the oil less ones be rebuilt?

250rAL
10-03-2006, 07:27 AM
It's easy to change the oil and you don't have to do it that often because there's no combustion involved.

quadfamily
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
It's even easier than changing the oil in your quad and like 250rAl said you don't have to do it that often. I change mine like every 2-3 years. Heck I think I only changed the oil in my last compressor two or three times in over 20 years and it was still running good until the electric motor burned up. It all depends on how much you use it. I think the oil-less ones are pretty much throw aways because by the time you figure how much it would cost to rebuild it you can darn near buy a new one. I still say if you plan on keeping it then get the one with the oil.

00tn300ex
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
what sizes are you looking at.ive got a 28 gallon oiless and a 80 IR that takes oil.I used the crap outta the little 28 doing bodywork before i got my 80 gallon.That thing would run solid all day long,the only problem it ever gave me was the pressure switch.For someone that just needs one for an impact or something every now and then a small oiless would probaly be ok,if you plan on doing alot of work especially with sanders and such you will need atleast a 60 gallon.