PDA

View Full Version : tree fiddy

Stevie-D
10-02-2006, 02:16 PM
finally got done pulling the motor out of my demo derby car--its an olds 350, all stock as far as i can tell. i got it seperated from the tranny and up on an engine stand last night. got some dust down in the carb, so i figured id pull the carb and intake and clean em up good. the motor ran great when i pulled it. got the intake off, and decided to pull the valve covers too. ive never seen so much carbon buildup in a motor:eek2: couldnt really clean it up without it getting down in the bottom end, so i decided to pull the heads. now while i got them pulled i might as well port and polish them, and get some new lifters, pushrods and a cam. :devil: the pistons/cylinder walls seem to be in good condition. i want to pull the oil pan next and see how the bottom end looks. might end up boring it out some:devil:
the intake is a pain in the arse to heave around, so that looks like an excuse to get an edelbrock aluminum intake:D

now for the point of this post---- i know that the chevy and olds 350's are very similar, yet there are some differences. i'm used to workin on the mopar motors, this is only the second GM motor i've torn down.
i know that the heads are different...im going to assume that there is some slight variation in the block too???

i know where there is a jasper 350 with a 4-bolt main :devil: sitting that needs new rings that i can pick up for $100 (gotta love when my friends old lady gets sick of the garage being all cluttered and starts makin him sell stuff:devil: )

i dont know if the olds motors were available with the 4-bolt main? i am going to assume that they were.

basically i'm trying to figure out if i would be better off building the jasper motor over the olds:confused:

stalefish_132
10-02-2006, 09:22 PM
the olds 350 was a big block and the chevy was a small block;)
those olds engines are great for demo derbys, keep going and going. get some pics oh her:blah:

Stevie-D
10-03-2006, 05:11 PM
ahha..so thats the difference!!

you are right about them being a good demo motor...we got about 10 heats out of a stock olds 350 that finally **** the bed this past season. definately a very strong running motor. it was in an 82 royale when i got it. i dont know if your familiar with the car, but it is by no means big.. after we stripped everything off the car and had it set up for the derby, i decided to smoke the old tires off of it, as i was mounting a set of meatier ones for the derby. got it out in the road with the wheel cocked a bit and got on the gas...darned thing whipped right around and i was sitting in the other direction before i knew what happened:devil: of course that was with the rear end welded and the shocks piped (no suspension) :D but still, pretty impressive!!! sounds pretty nasty breathing out a set of stacks

10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I dont know what the topcis about. But then he leaned over and said " I need about treefiddy."

Stevie-D
10-03-2006, 05:24 PM
"then i said, "*** damnit monsta!!! i ain't givin you no tree fiddy!!!!"

Robin Hood
10-03-2006, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Stevie-D
"then i said, "*** damnit monsta!!! i ain't givin you no tree fiddy!!!!"

So the girl scout went to your guys' houses too huh? :p

10-03-2006, 06:57 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D28q6RmBVZA"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D28q6RmBVZA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Jake250ex
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
LMFAO!!!!! :D

And do you know what he said to me?

I need about tree fiddy.