PDA

View Full Version : Ex brake problem

440_Turtle
10-02-2006, 06:20 AM
I replaced my pads this weekend and one of the fronts is so tight that the wheel doesnt free spin. I compressed the piston all the way in b4 i put teh pads in what could it be? i used Sintered pads btw.

ImplodedMindZ
10-02-2006, 06:48 AM
iv come across this problem several times w/ cars and the system is not that much different. When u compressed the caliper u probably dislodged some debris in there and pushed it up into the line and its keepin the fluid from returning from the caliper up into the line and so on. either ur gonna have to replace the line or its a bad caliper. I would start at the cheapest part. Maybe try pullin the line off and blowin some compressed air through it. If that fails, replace line/caliper as needed.

440_Turtle
10-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Well i put on stainless lines when i did the pads also so i guess i need a caliper. Anyone got a caliper?

svahle
10-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Caliber rebuild kits aren't all that expensive and it isn't all that difficult to do. I just rebuilt both fronts and the rear on a project quad of mine. New calipers are surprisingly expensive. Used calipers can be a problem because you never know what you are getting. I speak from experience. The calipers I just rebuilt were all used and represented to be in good working order.

You may not even need to rebuild the calipers. Just pull them apart, clean them up, grease the moving parts and slap them back together.

Another thing you might consider is that some aftermarket pads are just too thick. Sometimes you can take a little off with a grinder and things will work fine.

Good luck

smitht316
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
ok pull the caliper off. press the brake pedal and watch the calper. does it more out easily and if it does can you press it back in easily. if you can you dont have a caliper problem. check the slides, with all the mud and dirt these things go through its really comment that the slides are just frozen.

debri in the brake lines....... are you serious how do you expect that to get in there, just plain bad advice, done hundreds and hundreds of brake jobs and never seen that.

dont just throw parts at it, find out what the problem is and fix it

PismoLocal
10-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by smitht316
ok pull the caliper off. press the brake pedal and watch the calper. does it more out easily and if it does can you press it back in easily. if you can you dont have a caliper problem. check the slides, with all the mud and dirt these things go through its really comment that the slides are just frozen.

debri in the brake lines....... are you serious how do you expect that to get in there, just plain bad advice, done hundreds and hundreds of brake jobs and never seen that.

I agree, I had a big problem with my front brakes, they were always slightly dragging on my discs. I took them apart greased and cleaned everything now they work awesome.

ImplodedMindZ
10-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by smitht316

Hey smith sorry u have never seen the problem but i have, I have replaced brake lines on several troubled brake systems and it has fixed the problem. the interior of flexible brake hoses deteriorate over time and pieces can become partially dislodged and create kinda a one way valve that will only let fluid flow one way, kindof a flapper valve. Internal rust-which can't be seen-can also cause brake parts to fail. That rust can form because conventional brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere over time. thus causing deris in the brake system

smitht316
10-03-2006, 06:21 PM
i completely agree that a brake hose can deteriorate over time. ive seen it on cars where you have no brakes from that wheel or brakes stuck on. ive never seen it where the hose actual falls apart and gets stuck in the line. and even with that im talking 20 plus year old cars. we are talking about a 400ex which has not even been around ten years. so i would rule that out

ImplodedMindZ
10-11-2006, 06:31 AM
Did u ever end up fixin the problem. just qurious for future reference.

440_Turtle
10-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Havent yet, hoping to try to get to it this weekend.