PDA

View Full Version : 440ex problems please help me!!!

(815) REDDEVIL
10-01-2006, 08:58 PM
okay i have an 03 440ex w/ hotcam, magnum revbox, duncan fatboy4 exhaust, edelbrock qwiksilver carb, k&N airfliter.

the bike has been cutting out at high revs after a while like it was leaning out or about to be out of gas. this has happened for the past month or so. well now all of a sudden it cuts in and out with lean pop and studders at just above 1/8 throttle same symptoms as before at high rev. but if i let it idle and buid up fuel itll be okay until i rev it out to 4th or 5th gear depending on how long it idles.

ive tried every setting on my carb lean to rich and tried the stock cdi box, new fuel after thorough cleansing and inspection of carb, petcock, tank, air filter, intake boots, new plug, oil&filter change, but still the same results.

obviously its leaning out but richening the carb doesnt help, too rich it barely even runs at all, when i go lean it runs better but pipes glow and it still cuts in the same fashion after revving it out a while. the needle in the carb is 25 e and i run about 7 clicks from lean and the bike was 3 clicks away from lean when i got it.
the only thing ive done to the bike is add rev box gas and oil. so there is nothing i did to mess it up other than maybe ride it hard.

after 3 6-8 hour night of tuning and plug readings still no fix.

does anyone know of issues with the edelbrock quicksilver that causes this, i dont seem to succking air cause it does it with air filter on or off. the bike has always been fine until last month it started cutting out at high revs. ive always been mechanically inclined and all the people i know including some experts just say its too lean but thats not the case with carb setting.

i checked vavles and they seem to be within range. like i said the bike will be fine when i start it and put it or cruise it but when i get out on it its like the carb drains itself for gas but the fuel line never emptys or show signs of fuel being needed.

im clueless at this point please help me

xxnightraven73x
10-02-2006, 08:40 PM
open up your carb and make sure the float and needle seat are working and clean it sounds as though your float is sticking and the vibration at idle is shaking it loose hope this helps you out

(815) REDDEVIL
10-03-2006, 08:49 PM
I CLEANED THE CARB AND THE BOWL THE FLOAT WASNT STICKY I REMOVED EVERYTHING AND CLEANSED THEM THORUGHLY .

HOWEVER THE VALVE THAT CONTROLS THE FUEL INLET BEHIND THE FLOAT SEEMED TO BE SOMEWHAT RESTRICTIVE DURING MY AIR TEST TO THE BOWL. ILL ADJUST IT SINCE YOU GIVE ME A GOOD PLACE TO TRRY AND POST RESULTS.

I WAS WONDERING IF MAYBE THE NEEDLE GOES BAD AFTER A WHILE WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THAT

xxnightraven73x
10-04-2006, 09:35 AM
a needle could eventually go bad but it would take alot of abuse and many years in order for this to happen though if adjusting the float needle doesnt work let me know and ill see what else i can come up with for you but thats what it sounds like to me

(815) REDDEVIL
10-04-2006, 01:51 PM
simple float adjustment cured the problem thanks amillion man you pointed in the right spot

xxnightraven73x
10-04-2006, 08:21 PM
not a problem thats what this forum is all about helping eachother out when somethings not going right

(815) REDDEVIL
10-05-2006, 04:07 PM
i kinda feel like a retard though cuase of all ive seen ive never seen that but yet i was aware it was possible.

so much for checking that the first time i had it apart.

i once adjust a polaris 440 too rich in the bowl and it spewled fuel out overflws

hey thanks again man i was a wreck over my quad being down like that