PDA

View Full Version : trx 480 kits

jason_david1
10-01-2006, 05:42 PM
what needs to be done to the motor in order to put an athena 480 kit in my 04 450r? is my factory stuff (carb, valves, head, valve springs) fine? or do i need to pretty much build all my motor? i am tight on money right now and cant afford to port/polish my head and stuff like that. but i really want the 480 kit. please help.

ChrisSekerak
10-01-2006, 06:25 PM
if i do understand right, the Athena kit's come with a new cylinder already bored and nickasealed. Your stock valves and other components should be fine. You'll start having problems if you install a different crank (for instance one with a longer stroke) or if you run a cam that requires hardened rocker arms ect...

Personally I would just take the cylinder off and take it to a local shop that will bore it to accept a larger piston that is high compression. I have done this on a few bikes and they have definately ran a lot stronger.

Just my opinion

jason_david1
10-01-2006, 07:20 PM
but to get high compression i will have to have my head ported and polished correct? what does it cost to have it done?

ChrisSekerak
10-01-2006, 09:18 PM
no, you just specify what compression you want your piston to be at such as 13.5:1. this is a compression that I believe is reliable.
port and polish has nothing to do with compression ratio!!

port and polishing only helps in oil flow and movement, and air movement, port and polish is usually a good thing to do when you build a motor. It depends where you go, it could be as little as 300 for a cheap set up, but as much as 600 for a good port job.

is it worth the money, in my opinion only if your going to be a pro racer.

just my opinion

ZSNOW
10-02-2006, 04:38 AM
i think athena big bore kits come with a cylinder jug already bored with bigger water coolent opening ...a new piston with a higher compression ratio.... and gaskets to reseal the engine...don't quote me on that but ussually unless put other upgrades i don't think u will have a problem and stock things will work

jason_david1
10-02-2006, 09:03 AM
so the only difference with my piston now (10.5 compression) and i higher compression piston is the gas i will have to run?