PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping Opinions???

XCAdam89
10-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Any landscaping buffs want to help decide what do do with the landscaping at my house??

Here's the area we are talking about:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4770.gif

We just bought those small bushes, but we might swap them out with bigger ones...

Here's some previous things We've Done:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4773.gif

And, the Overall House:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4783.gif

yellowzo3
10-01-2006, 03:09 PM
around the big trees you might want to put some top soil and mulch and some kind of border to keep the dirt there. then if you want you could plant flowers there and it would look nice. you could also use a ground covering that spreads around the tree more every year. if you want to get serious you could take that whole section from your walkway back and plant there. put boxwoods or something similar in the back and then smaller plants in the front. dont put anything that will grow too tall or else you wont be able to see out of your windows in a few years. you can also get that tree stump ground down so it wont show if youd like. theres alot you can do, you have a nice house to work with. your best bet is to go to a nursery and look at all the plants and draw something up.

**a japanese maple would look nice in your yard also. the kind that grow low and cover alot of area. they are a dark red and dont grow too fast but are very nice.

stocktires
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I'll try and remember to show my mom when she gets home from Spain. Shes a professional landscaper and vice president of the local master gardeners.

ny300exrider
10-01-2006, 04:12 PM
my dad has owned a landscape business for 14 years and ive been working for him for 2. in situations like yours, we do alot of edged beds. i think if you dug a nicely shaped edge from the porch to the driveway,stumpgrinded the stump out, bought a few small flowers/plants colorful or not, and then mulched it with some high quality black mulch, it would look great.

XCAdam89
10-01-2006, 07:54 PM
Great Idea's Guys. We are keeping those smaller plants in the front, like pictured, and we bought slightly larger "Cone" shaped ones as well. I think we are planning mulching from the dirt where the stump is, it will be ground of course, to the drive way, and leave a patch of grass there..

ny300exrider
10-01-2006, 08:15 PM
yeah that sounds like a nice little setup. when done right, simple mulched beds can look great. you could edge it into a wavy type pattern to give it some flare also.

Rico400
10-01-2006, 09:01 PM
concrete and pea rock everything ;).... jk looks like the ideas above are pretty good.

DieselBoy
10-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Big curved flowerbeds with triple mix, some shrubs, maybe a couple blue spruce topped with mulch, and lawn care.

also; less little "gardens" the better. fewer big gardens will look much less busy, clean, and neat.

TOPDAWG
10-02-2006, 06:04 AM
Paver the walkway and 1" stone wall around both areas. All manufactured block of course.

Fill the middle and replant. Then top it off with round stones around the size of marbles. I say that because mulch is a pain unless you go with rubber. You have to add to it every year. Stones = DONE.

10-02-2006, 06:06 AM
There's enuf room for a 25' tabletop in the front yard.

Or perhaps a short set of whoops.

4punksdad
10-07-2006, 01:35 PM
I can help if you just want to tear it down & start over :o

Guy400
10-07-2006, 02:11 PM
If you need a trench dug I'm your man. I'm even rockin' the Andrews Excavating T-shirt:muscle:

10-07-2006, 05:10 PM
well, we here at 440 kid landscaping specialize in trenching and aeriation!:devil:

Derag2
10-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Roses around the tree like 3-4 spaced 3foot apart or get some daylilies,6 or so to put in there.... I like roses you can get some nearly wild roses so there pink not red and they kinda grow wild go with your country style you got going on....... definately dig out an edge and mulch....

Up by the house i really hate evergreens, do you know what the kind is? most people don't take care and trim them up and they get way to crowded and look like crap..... do you like spireas? like some magic carpets or somthing... but again you gotta trim them..... Another thing around the trees, you could put in some hostas..... like some japanese hostas, or somthing else with some white lines or edges on them......

As for mulch i'd go with a brown or red..... yea i know red with a red house might be much.... id go with brown personally....

post up, i can give out some more ideas...... I work for a landscaping company as well...

bulkdriverlp
10-07-2006, 07:32 PM
2 rows high with those locking brick pavers around the front about 2 feet out. plant with perennial flowers and tall cone shaped shrubs to blend in with the tall house. some landscape lighting to shine on the front of the house and up the driveway. take those 2 nappy looking trees down in the yard and put it a couple silver or norway maples. put in some new sod, and irrigation for the lawn and drippers for the flowerbed.

Pappy
10-07-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
If you need a trench dug I'm your man.

Pest control is my specialty

:devil:

kawi_kfx13
10-07-2006, 10:33 PM
lol i like ur grage looks like somthin but i dont no wat lol thats all i have to say

4punksdad
10-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
If you need a trench dug I'm your man. I'm even rockin' the Andrews Excavating T-shirt:muscle:

nice shirt :)

Mxjunkie
10-08-2006, 10:55 AM
The island in front of your house by the sidewalk, dig it out and mulch the entire thing put rocks randomly in the mulch, plant a few dawrf tree's and some flowers here and there put a bird bath for a little touch and I belive that would spurce it up a ltitle bit :)

Do a little mulch island around the mailbox post and surround it with stones or nice pieces of stone (blocks)

around the tree's make nice islands that are easyily seen from the road..

see if you can get a wooden well and put it in the front lawn somewhere add's a nice touch :cool:

TOPDAWG
10-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Pest control is my specialty

:devil:

Is that a Model Seven Pappy? 7mm-.08 maybe?

If so, SWEET little cannon! I got one too.

Pappy
10-08-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by TOPDAWG
Is that a Model Seven Pappy? 7mm-.08 maybe?

If so, SWEET little cannon! I got one too.

Model 700 LSS in 30-06

DieselBoy
10-08-2006, 12:53 PM
definately some nice big, thick trees!!!! to fill her in! (AND shrubs!)

DieselBoy
10-08-2006, 01:16 PM
Got bored, threw this together....should maybe give you some ideas... The large circles are trees & shrubs.... mulched gardens with nice edge... not too busy, but clean & neat.

Pappy
10-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Here is some first class landscaping.

using his KTM powered yard machine....Cody gently turns the soils over to allow better drainage:devil:

10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Here is some first class landscaping.

using his KTM powered yard machine....Cody gently turns the soils over to allow better drainage:devil:
LOL ... I sure hope my mom doesnt see this:p http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j117/Quad_King/YFZ001-3.jpg

troutman561
10-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Get some new grass in there... that would increase the way it looks alot jsut by having full thick grass in there.... im not sure on plants or bushing or w/e but maybe line the side walk with some small plants, or lights or something... I cant really give to much opinion the decorative plants we use down here are not good for cold climates anyways...

Slinky
10-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by XCAdam89
Any landscaping buffs want to help decide what do do with the landscaping at my house??

Here's the area we are talking about:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4770.gif

We just bought those small bushes, but we might swap them out with bigger ones...

Here's some previous things We've Done:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4773.gif

And, the Overall House:
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a185/D6Adam/DSCF4783.gif

I would say if you just defined your edges of your landscapes better you'd be a few steps ahead. You need to define where the grass ends and the landscape starts. We usualy make like a 3" wide x 2" deep void around our land scaps. I dont like using edging i think it looks cheep. your lot could also use a re-topsoiling and seeding. Use some nice red back mulch and it would look good with the color of your house. I havent been doing this long but there just a couple ideas, there seem to be more guys here with some good ideas and more experience than me.