PDA

View Full Version : 250r+ trails=?????

matthoyda
10-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Ive never ridden a 250r or even seen one in my area. I think this is why I'm so attracted to them. How are they on the trails? What are their powerbands like? I used to race a Cr 250...do the compare to the 250 dirtbikes at all? or what are they most like, Ive ridden almost all the new 4strokes...how do they compare
thanks....matt

atvmxr
10-01-2006, 02:52 PM
My R has a pretty serious MX set up, but I trail ride it for about an hour or so a week. Just have to get the jetting right or you will foul plugs or overheat.:blah:

ShiftFMX
10-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I took my 330r with me down to West point in TN and I had a blast. I didnt foul any plugs of overheat, I do have a pretty good sized walsh Radiator though. Just be sure and have a few extra clutch cables laying around. I have gone through 2 cables in the last 3 months or so.

deathman53
10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
I rode trx and atc250r's on trails for about 2 years, get a low to mid pipe, decent tires 20", skid plates and you will be fine, a 4 gallon tank is a very big recomendation though, that 2.3 of the stock tank goes very fast.

Aceman
10-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I agree with deathman. I have everything he listed plus I just dropped a tooth in the front so I'm 13-39. My 310 kit still has the cast port and I found it ran out of power on really steep climbs, I think this 13 tooth will really help. I hardly ever get past 4th gear trail riding so dropping a tooth in the front won't really matter for top speed. To answer your question, the 250r does really well on trails. It can go through the tight technical stuff just fine and then when you hit open trail, just mash the throttle and start going through the gears!

mrhyde
10-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I mainly trail ride my r at Chadwick MO, know for rough and often slower trails, and don't have any problems with fouling, overheating, or breaking anything. The r also gets looks from everyone. There is something to be said for riding a different bike than everyone else.

MossboysRacing
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I still race my R in the Missouri Hare Scrambles series and do pretty well. It doesn't take too much to set them up well and they handle in the tight stuff as long as you know how to ride it.