PDA

View Full Version : 416ex, oil leaking

400eXr1d3rZ
09-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I just put my quad back together today, it ran great, everything was perfect except one thing, oil was leaking out of the head, the cylinder head. I don't know why it's leaking, it only leaks a tiny tiny bit but it bothers me because there smoke in my face. Any idea? Could I use that sealing stuff people put near the ports?

jcs327
10-01-2006, 11:48 AM
is it coming from around the head gasket or out of the exhaust ports?. look and see if there is oil on the outside of the exhaust pipe where it goes into the head. also, if there is smoke coming out of the exhaust what color is it? if you rebuilt it and didnt rework the valves you could have a valve guide leaking. also make sure your head bolts and valve cover bolts are torqued to spec.

REDRIDDER
10-29-2006, 03:33 AM
This is my honest opinion id order a new head gasket and change it,also to make sure the head is torqued properly.The head bolts should be torqued at 17 ftlbs the head cover to 35inch lbs,also a good thing to check is your cylinder studs they may be tired and are starting to pull out,not so commin but remember bigger bore little more compreson older engine im assuming, just check the head bolts and be sure to torque the head accordinly ,one other thing is if you have access or can get a compresson gauge the stock comp ratio is 9.1 :1 with a cylinder compreson of 100-128 psi is good for stock but you have to do the math to figure 11:1 what the compresson ratio would be,and how much more psi their would be,i guessing and im not at all good at math but id say it would be 2-4psi more than stock.IM ASSUMING THAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT A 2001 400EX.

prepracing
10-29-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
This is my honest opinion id order a new head gasket and change it,also to make sure the head is torqued properly.The head bolts should be torqued at 17 ftlbs the head cover to 35inch lbs,also a good thing to check is your cylinder studs they may be tired and are starting to pull out,not so commin but remember bigger bore little more compreson older engine im assuming, just check the head bolts and be sure to torque the head accordinly ,one other thing is if you have access or can get a compresson gauge the stock comp ratio is 9.1 :1 with a cylinder compreson of 100-128 psi is good for stock but you have to do the math to figure 11:1 what the compresson ratio would be,and how much more psi their would be,i guessing and im not at all good at math but id say it would be 2-4psi more than stock.IM ASSUMING THAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT A 2001 400EX.

headbolts torque to 34 ft lbs. not 17 ft lbs., the one big centerbolt on the valve cover (head cover or rocker box or however you refer to it) is a 12mm head is what torques to 17ft lbs.