PDA

View Full Version : raptor wont start when hot...

nicktrx450r
09-30-2006, 09:24 PM
05' 660
starts up fine when cold but when i run it for like 2 min.and try to start it i get nothing. the starter doesnt even crank. battery is good. open to suggestions on what to do

jcs327
10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
will it bump start and do OK? if so, start by checking all the leads going to the starter and your battery connections. could be a loose connection getting hot after curent flows through it for a few mins. If it won't bump start, then you have other problems besides electrical.

nicktrx450r
10-01-2006, 01:09 PM
yea it bump sarts fine

jcs327
10-02-2006, 01:25 PM
I would start at the starter. check and make sure the connections are tight, working your way to the switch and battery. also check the condition of the wires. A loose connection will cause the wire to heat up when current runs through it. Make sure your battery is the correct cranking amps. if you know how, check for resistance in your stator coil. find the two wires coming from the stator cover on the left side of the motor. trace to where it plugs in to the wiring harness near the front fender. unplug it and check the resistance with an ohmmeter. it should have little to no resistance. I know this may sound crazy, but if you have welded near your engine lately, it could have fried your stator, thus causing the charging problem. the magnetic field from the welder messes up the coil.
to check your starter, disconnect the positive starter wire at the starter. hook a pair of jumper cables to your car or truck (be sure engine is off) hook the negative cable to the raptor battery. turn on the switch and touch the positive cable end to the connection on the starter. the starter should turn over nice and strong. (careful it will arc). If all your connections are tight, battery is good, and switches are good, I would replace the rectifier. Most shops dont have the equipment to test a rectifier, so the norm is to rule out stator, connections, battery, switches, then replace the rectifier. Hope this helps.