Pages : 1 [2] 3

czrider263
11-04-2006, 08:37 PM
Wow chad that thing is flying together.

I know he will love it when its done!

xsr_racing28c
11-04-2006, 09:29 PM
All I can say is YOUR THE MAN!!!!

Everything is going together so smooth!!! Its so awesome to see it all come together knowing it'll only be days until its done.

Dude I love the pressure plate!! I really appreciate everything your doing for me and I honestly can't say enough of how glad I am that we went ahead and went the extra step to replace the crank!!

DRG Rules!!!!!! Thanks so much Chad!!!

~Jay:D

chad502ex
11-05-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
All I can say is YOUR THE MAN!!!!

Everything is going together so smooth!!! Its so awesome to see it all come together knowing it'll only be days until its done.

Dude I love the pressure plate!! I really appreciate everything your doing for me and I honestly can't say enough of how glad I am that we went ahead and went the extra step to replace the crank!!

DRG Rules!!!!!! Thanks so much Chad!!!

thanks Jay.... I've gotten the piston installed in the jug, and the clutch assemblly with cover finished.

I'll post pictures too..

Tommorrow night i think the engine will be finished. I need to degree in the cam to split the piston-to-valve (P-V) clearances and also finish other minor things.. but tommorow night the engine should be done... I need to program your ignition and that'll be it!

:macho

mike nash
11-05-2006, 03:28 PM
Gee,you put it together so quick I barely had enough time to blink. Good stuff;). Can't wait to see DRG #1 update.

chad502ex
11-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by mike nash
Gee,you put it together so quick I barely had enough time to blink. Good stuff;). Can't wait to see DRG #1 update.

me2.. I want to try out the DSAR with my customer piston.... may just have to wait for it before I test DSAR. Ive wet benched the DSAR and it looked to have faster velocities than DRG porting... should be interesting...

chad502ex
11-05-2006, 04:13 PM
with the jug installed...

next up degreeing.

xsr_racing28c
11-06-2006, 07:00 AM
Lookin' Gooooood!!!

Can't wait to see that top end complete!!!~Jay:devil:

chad502ex
11-06-2006, 07:06 AM
Lookin' Gooooood!!!

Can't wait to see that top end complete!!!~Jay:devil:

wheres all your hot suspension pictures..... keep them coming Jay!

xsr_racing28c
11-06-2006, 10:32 AM
The JB suspension hasn't shown up yet, so i'm at a stand still for a couple days.

I'm expecting to get the arms and stuff all early this week, so i'll have pics up very very soon!

fandl450r
11-06-2006, 10:37 AM
Jay what color arms did you end up going with? JB makes on hell of a product.

Chino886
11-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by fandl450r
Jay what color arms did you end up going with? JB makes on hell of a product.

Last time I talked to him he told me PINK! :devil:

xsr_racing28c
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Chino886 tryed to talk me into pink, but I've decided to go a different route~ :D

On a serious note, I went with Candy Trans Blue for the lowers and Chrome uppers.

I'm thinking they should come out pretty nicely!!

~Jay

Chino886
11-06-2006, 11:10 AM
Chino886 tryed to talk me into pink, but I've decided to go a different route~ :D

~Jay

Could you imagine is you had a pink bike and kicked everyone's arse?

Oh boy, people would quit!

xsr_racing28c
11-06-2006, 11:57 AM
hmmm... Good idea!!! I may have to switch color schemes for next year..:D

chad502ex
11-06-2006, 06:40 PM
OK, good night wrapping the build up... First, I completed programming the DYNATEK programmable ignition with DRG curves. Also, set the DRG taper bore carbs TPS to the ignition (also programmed). I had to use my quad for the ignition wiring so I could connect the carb up to the wiring harness and the DYNATEK up to the wiring harness too while i connected in the LAPTOP..

I set the rev limit to 11000 rpm rev limit using the 04 crf and KW springs, and the DRG curves were programmed as follows:

1. HP curve
2. TQ curve
3. BOTH HP and TQ curve
4. Stock

#1-4 curves above were programmed with 11000 rev limit...

Then, I assembled the top end with clay for degree'n tommorrow night and shimmed the cam tower for final... now bolt the dial indicator and degree wheel on and i'm ready to mark the adjustable cam sprocket for xsr_racing28c... pictures of this tommorrow...

xsr_racing28c
11-06-2006, 06:55 PM
Sweet Action Chad!! :cool:

Can't wait to see the rest of the pics tommorow nite!!!

Waahoo! ~Jay

xsr_racing28c
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
More pics eeehh?? haha, i'm excited to see more!!! ~Jay

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:00 PM
More pics eeehh?? haha, i'm excited to see more!!! ~Jay

wahhhhhhooooooooooooooooooooo!!

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:30 PM
xsr_racing28c.

degree setup to get the camshaft sprocket timing marks so Jay can adjust cam timing and not just be forced to go with straight up factory timing....

xsr_racing28c
11-07-2006, 07:31 PM
Yessssssssssssssss its starting to look like a motor!!!!

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
here's a zoomed in look at the marking (circled yellow) that i did for Jay,.... now, how many builders go to lengths to mark adjustable cam sprockets with -10*, -6*, -3*, 0*, +4* marks...

:devil:

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:35 PM
this build went extremely well.

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:37 PM
i'm not sure if i posted the flywheel left crankcase cover before assemble., but why not just illustrate...

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:38 PM

xsr_racing28c
11-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
here's a zoomed in look at the marking (circled yellow) that i did for Jay,.... now, how many builders go to lengths to mark adjustable cam sprockets with -10*, -6*, -3*, 0*, +4* marks...

Your the man Chad!!

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 07:40 PM
:macho :macho :blah: :D :cool:

xsr_racing28c
11-07-2006, 07:42 PM
Everything Looks Awesome Chad!!!!

You've got me droolin' over here! I can't wait to see that thing in person, cuz i know those pics don't do any justice to your amazing work!!!!!

I'm freakin' out :eek2:

~Jay :devil:

400exrider707
11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Cue the shameless Rotella T plug now....

haha awesome build chad....jay cant wait to see some pics of it in the quad sitting on the ground with some suspension on it!!!:macho

chad502ex
11-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
Cue the shameless Rotella T plug now....

haha awesome build chad....

that's funny.. Since Jay is really kewl, i threw in 2 quarts for xsr_racing28c for free.... :D

xsr_racing28c
11-08-2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks again for everything Chad!!

Once the motor gets here i'll be doing a little last minute cleaning/polishing and it should be thrown in the frame nearly right away.

I ordered those Titanium Motor mounts and Mounting Bolts also, so i hope they will be here within the next couple days. ;)

~Jay

chad502ex
11-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks again for everything Chad!!

Once the motor gets here i'll be doing a little last minute cleaning/polishing and it should be thrown in the frame nearly right away.

I ordered those Titanium Motor mounts and Mounting Bolts also, so i hope they will be here within the next couple days. ;)

~Jay

your most welcome... It was a pleasure working with you..

The engine is all polished up, internally, so no need to worry about that ;)

When your ready for the PHASE 2 as we discussed let me know....

xsr_racing28c
11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Don't worry Chad, We will be in contact often i'm sure just so i can tell you how awesome it is!!! :devil:

xsr_racing28c
11-12-2006, 07:38 AM
Update:

Well guys, looks like I've got nothing really here to update you on as of yet. I had expected to have the JB A Arms early last week after they told me they were going to sent the arms out the 2nd of November , but still havn't recieved anything from them yet.

I'm getting kind of upset at JB due to the great amount of time to build my my front suspension only because they've had my order for well over a month and had dragged it out for a great amount of time. ( Keep in mind they only had to build a set of lower arms since I already had some TT style uppers ) Plus they lost my phone number so I didn't get any calls back from them which kind of threw me off.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm hoping the arms will show up soon so I can get a jump start on the suspension before the motor shows up. I left JB Racing a message concerning the arms, so I hope to get a call back monday on them to figure out whats going on.

Other than all of the suspension stuff, I have everything here to complete the quad other than the motor of course which should be here mid week. Thanks Chad for getting the motor out!!!

~Jay

( All complications to do with the arms were found out to have been from a careless DHL Driver who placed the payment for the arms in front of JB Racing and didn't get a signiture, and it turns out that the envelope was lost outside somewhere... DHL is taking care of this very kindly, and I should be getting re-imbursed for the mishap very soon)

chad502ex
11-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Update:

Well guys, looks like I've got nothing really here to update you on as of yet. I had expected to have the JB A Arms early last week after they told me they were sent out the 2nd of November , but still havn't recieved anything from them yet.

I'm getting kind of upset at JB due to the great amount of time to build my my front suspension only because they've had my order for well over a month and had dragged it out for a great amount of time. ( Keep in mind they only had to build a set of lower arms since I already had some TT style uppers ) Plus they lost my phone number so I didn't get any calls back from them which kind of threw me off.

I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm hoping the arms will show up soon so I can get a jump start on the suspension before the motor shows up. I left JB Racing a message concerning the arms, so I hope to get a call back monday on them to figure out whats going on.

Other than all of the suspension stuff, I have everything here to complete the quad other than the motor of course which should be here mid week. Thanks Chad for getting the motor out!!!

~Jay

wel at least youll be getting a fresh build by wednesday.... :D

xsr_racing28c
11-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Your correct Chad, the motor is scheduled to show up sometime Weds... So i can't wait!!

I've got everything layed out and ready to bolt up as soon as the motor arrives. I may do some small powdercoating on some of the motor parts but i'm unsure yet.

As for the suspension, the money order has been lost for the arms due to the delivery driver from DHL carelessly placing the package in a place where he/she was not supposed , so now i'm going back and forth trying to get them to ship the arms so I can get the thing on the ground.

JB Racing has been very helpful in trying to locate this money order so I'm happy about that. The communication between the secretary and I has been very nice so I can't complain in that way.

Thanks, Jay

UPDATE!!!!! JB Racing is shipping the arms to me today, and they should be here real soon!! As for the mishap we've had with DHL, we are still in the midst get getting that all figured out, and hope to have it all squared away very soon so JB Racing can have there money for the arms..

xsr_racing28c
11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Alright guys, the motor is going to be here tommorow and I'm getting really anxious about that!!

The suspnsion is also on its way and almost everything else needed to complete this build is here and awaiting the motor and arms.

Last nite, I was informed that I aquired a sponsorship from
ASV Inventions, so today I mailed out my order form from them and will be getting a few things.

ASV Order:

~ C5 Pro Model Clutch Lever for CRF hotstart
~ C5 Honda Brake Lever

Chino886
11-14-2006, 12:38 PM
ASV Order:

~ C5 Pro Model Clutch Lever for CRF hotstart
~ C5 Honda Brake Lever

That's awesome Jay!

I have the same levers.....LOL!

xsr_racing28c
11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Sweet!! how do you like them??

Chad where are you at?? Hows your build coming along??

~Jay

Chino886
11-14-2006, 01:18 PM
Well, they look good sitting in the cardboard box in the garage, those minor details will be installed when I have something else torn down.

chad502ex
11-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Sweet!! how do you like them??

Chad where are you at?? Hows your build coming along??

~Jay

just researching,.... and designing a new custom piston.... getting ready for another killer build too.... :D

Chino886
11-14-2006, 02:29 PM
just researching,.... and designing a new custom piston.... getting ready for another killer build too.... :D

Piston?????

What kind? Who is making it?????

Come on don't hold out on us? Is it going to be DRG specific?

ghott
11-14-2006, 02:45 PM

Hmmm, I'm going to take a shot in the dark on this one.

I have a feeling it will be made by CP, since I know Mr. Chad likes them :). But, of course, It will have his custom specs.

I think it'll be light. In the neighborhood of 265grams or so (without rings and wrist pin).

I'm hoping it'll have nitrided rings. Maybe some gas ports, coated skirts?

Around 14:1 or above CR?

Get this sucker done before next summer Chad, and I will definitely have to look into it for next years "freshener."

czrider263
11-14-2006, 04:28 PM
O it has all of that !!

plus the compression will be i think a little higher than 14:1 LOL alot higher

ghott
11-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by czrider263
O it has all of that !!

plus the compression will be i think a little higher than 14:1 LOL alot higher

I hope not too much higher. Wouldn't want the piston kissing the valves :).

czrider263
11-14-2006, 05:16 PM
O no there will be no probs there!!!

You will see when chads posts here i don't want to give away to much! lol

but i will tell you more than 14:1 with plenty of PV clearence

ghott
11-14-2006, 05:30 PM
O no there will be no probs there!!!

You will see when chads posts here i don't want to give away to much! lol

but i will tell you more than 14:1 with plenty of PV clearence

Sounds sweet. Can't wait to see it.

Come on' Chad! :cool:

xsr_racing28c
11-14-2006, 06:33 PM
I can't wait to see it either!!

Chad has clued me in on it, and it will be nothing short of awesome thats for sure!!!

BTW: Chad,
You should have something coming for you in the mail!!! :macho

Jay

chad502ex
11-15-2006, 09:32 AM
I can't wait to see it either!!

Chad has clued me in on it, and it will be nothing short of awesome thats for sure!!!

BTW: Chad,
You should have something coming for you in the mail!!! :macho

Jay

Thanks man... :D

BTW: your spare spartd were return shipped to you today via UPS. At least you'll be conforted to know all the parts i charged for have been installed.. ;)

xsr_racing28c
11-15-2006, 11:15 AM
Thanks man,

Don't worry never have a thought that you were charging me for something that wasn't installed!!!

I am awaiting the motor to arrive here at my office, and when it does i'll be sure to post up on here. Also the suspension is said to be here tommorow already, so I will have lots of pics up very soon for those who have been looking forward to them.

Thanks, Jay

xsr_racing28c
11-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Chad,

Looks like the motor wont be getting here today. I just check the tracking number and it looks like it is going to be here tommorow instead.

here is what the ups site says..

Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 11/16/2006.

Oh well, Just another day to sit here and daydream about a DRG package showing up....haha..
:D

chad502ex
11-15-2006, 04:39 PM
Chad,

Looks like the motor wont be getting here today. I just check the tracking number and it looks like it is going to be here tommorow instead.

here is what the ups site says..

Your package is in the UPS system and has a rescheduled delivery date of 11/16/2006.

Oh well, Just another day to sit here and daydream about a DRG package showing up....haha..
:D

bummer, then we'll have to wait one more day then..

xsr_racing28c
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I got the motor Chad!!! Looks awesome!!!

I will have some pics up soon once i have time to snap some, but it may not be til tommorow!!

Thanks man, Jay

Inspector
11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Sent you a PM asking about your TT shocks. Thanks.

xsr_racing28c
11-17-2006, 11:08 AM
Will have pics up of arms, shocks and motor later on today..

Chad,
Everything in the packaging was good!!! I didn't unbubble the motor yet, but the carb almost put me to tears.. I'm glad i was wearing my huggies when i opened the carb box up..:eek2:

Its killer!!!

xsr_racing28c
11-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Alright guys, I come home today to find my camera was taken for the weekend by my mom, so I'm going to try to get another camera to snap pictures of the progress over the weekend.

I was able to take pics last nite of the suspension when i got it, and thats about all I have right now.

I started mounting up the front suspension and will work on that throughout the weekend and leave the motor until last because right now everyone willing to lend me a hand is out of town for hunting. By sunday or monday nite i will have more pics of the motor being installed and everything should come together more at that point.

Thanks , Jay

mike nash
11-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Can you explain the difference in the TT arms vs. stock. Lower I'm guessing but is the shock position further out or stock? Are the shocks different length as well?

TRXDresh
11-20-2006, 06:38 AM
JB is pretty notorious for lackluster timelines. I almost missed the first race of the TT season last year because I didn't have my arms yet. I kept hearing it would be next week, next week, next week. He was building Farr's arms at the same time he was building mine, so it took longer. Farr kept tweaking the design for more steering sweep, so it delayed mine too. I got them and was happy with them, but I haven't adjusted half of the adjustability that the arms have in them. It is almost too much.

Chad are you designing a piston or spec'ing one out. I will be impressed if you design one from scratch. There are a lot of things that go into the design that alot of people don't realize. Angles, concentricity, CTE rates for differing materials, manufacturability, ect.

Are we going to see some HP numbers??

Peace yall.

xsr_racing28c
11-20-2006, 07:04 AM
Sorry guys, I've been off of the boards all weekend trying to get this quad all put back together.

Everything has been going smoothly with the quad, i've just been delayed due to me moving all of my tools, parts and quad into another work area, and I was trying to get all organized here at the same time.

As for the TT arms, I'm pretty sure they are almost the same as the regular standard travel arms, but they have a mounting tab on the lower arms for mounting the sway bar to. Other than that, i'm really unsure.

As for the shocks, they are a shorter shock and they mount at the same angle as normal. I use a ZPS setup front and rear as well.

I will try to get more pics up tonite.. Sorry for the delay on the process of putting it back together.. My camera was jacked for the weekend and I've been workin my butt off to try and get this thing back up on all fours...~Jay:blah:

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by TRXDresh

Chad are you designing a piston or spec'ing one out. I will be impressed if you design one from scratch. There are a lot of things that go into the design that alot of people don't realize. Angles, concentricity, CTE rates for differing materials, manufacturability, ect.

Are we going to see some HP numbers??

Peace yall.

yes, you are correct... my second piston designed.. it does take a lot of time to sit down a draw one up on paper with proper valve relief angles/depth, centerlines, pin fitting, coatings thicknesses, expansion rates (CTE) to account for P-W clearances and thermal transfering, squish, compression height, landing dimensions, oilingand such.... then, to top it off offer it up at almost cost to my custom(ers) builds.... This piston is off the hook- completely custom stock bore 2 ringer no holes barred.. more to come later... Why are you not involved more into design than racing?

As far as HP numbers.... Honestly, this phase of the engine build was mild until the next phase where I'll squeeze it all down and upgrade its piston for max power.... maybe, before the spring says xsr....

xsr_racing28c
11-20-2006, 11:54 AM
Its not a maybe, its a for sure.

Like Chad said, we were going for very reliable power at this time and over the course of the winter I will be doing some testing and working out the details on what will be done for the 2nd phase of this motor to gain yet more power out of it. Of course the new DRG piston will be installed, and also we will be going with a different cam.

~Jay

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
Its not a maybe, its a for sure.

Like Chad said, we were going for very reliable power at this time and over the course of the winter I will be doing some testing and working out the details on what will be done for the 2nd phase of this motor to gain yet more power out of it. Of course the new DRG piston will be installed, and also we will be going with a different cam.

~Jay

plus a bit of machining too!!!!

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 04:48 PM
Jay,

I received your letter package today, and I am are extremely grateful that you spent your time to express, writtenly, to me your thoughts about the positive customer service you received and your "great learning experience" about the inner'ds of your build here at ATVIDERS.com.

Your acknowledment that ATVRIDERS.com extending permission to post this thread was rewarding for you to further understand how you engine builds power, and also for others to expand and learn from too.

As most peeps can now admit, not all performance builds are alike.... some prefer power in the top end for TT racing, some prefer power mid-to-top for mx, and some prefer broadband power for xc (like DRG TWIN and me), but one things for sure....phase 1 complete... enjoy!

...And many thanks for the superior DRG stickers you mailed me too Jay! :thumbsup

mike nash
11-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Is this build going to use Chads' curves as well?

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Is this build going to use Chads' curves as well?

they were programmed into his Dynatek programmable ignition module, yes!! I thought i posted a picture of this lonnnngg thread, didn't I? :confused: :cool:

just kiddn bro. now order yourself one from Dynatek so i can program yours too.... arrr shucks ;)

mike nash
11-20-2006, 05:53 PM
Too tired to look was hopin for a reply,thanks. I'm gonna have to start rolling coin after buying a new frame. It's on my Gotta have list with the piston.:D

xsr_racing28c
11-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Chad,

No problem about the letter bud. That letter and thoughts was the least i could do to show the great expierience i've shared during this build!

I can't wait to get this thing in the frame, i just can't stop admiring each bit of craftsmanship you've put into that motor!

The installation of the motor will be done slowly over the course of this week due to time constraints and all of the other components needing to be installed first. I have the complete suspension setup up front installed and am just waiting on getting the motor in to get all of the quad summed up. I want to take my time with this one especially because of all of the new parts and wanting to do it totally right and not overlook anything....

Althought this isn't my first complete rebuild, its definatley the best one and I'm so excited to be able to stand back and see this project DRG TT quad completed and rolling!!

Thanks again ,

Jay

czrider263
11-20-2006, 07:51 PM
I heard about this famous letter.. i makes me feel as a customer of mr. chad that i didn't do enough because he did way more than he had to on my build. From the taking pictures of my whole buil and making a thread to follow the build; to making a CD of the whole blueprinted motor and more pictures and video of the dyno. He also took time to help me with am im promt to timing of my bike for a race weekend. All things he didn't have to do but he did out of the kindness of his heart for a fellow atv rider/racer. Not to mention the help and time he will give you on the phone. IMO way more than any other builder i have dealt with this is why time and time again i will go back to him for my motor needs he has me as a customer for life......

This is why hes getting my 05 for another build:D

Nice work chad and keep it up

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I heard about this famous letter.. i makes me feel as a customer of mr. chad that i didn't do enough because he did way more than he had to on my build. From the taking pictures of my whole buil and making a thread to follow the build; to making a CD of the whole blueprinted motor and more pictures and video of the dyno. He also took time to help me with am im promt to timing of my bike for a race weekend. All things he didn't have to do but he did out of the kindness of his heart for a fellow atv rider/racer. Not to mention the help and time he will give you on the phone. IMO way more than any other builder i have dealt with this is why time and time again i will go back to him for my motor needs he has me as a customer for life......

This is why hes getting my 05 for another build:D

Nice work chad and keep it up

WOW!! :blush: you guys rule.. for real, my happiness is knowing how i feel when i ride your setup after built :macho hehe

it is you guys whom are awesome.. I really would love to roost one day soon especially after my dagnabit pistons arrive and i can assemble my build and ride... wahooo!!

hey czrider263- another build awesome!1 that'll get rid of your bottom line in your signature and replace it with something better imo... hehe

czrider263
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
you talking about the LTR>??

If i had all the money in the world i would bring that to but one build at a time LOL

But i can't wait to start the 05!

See you thurs LOL with a bottom end for you to build a whole top end.

chad502ex
11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
you talking about the LTR>??

If i had all the money in the world i would bring that to but one build at a time LOL

But i can't wait to start the 05!

See you thurs LOL with a bottom end for you to build a whole top end.

oh sorry, my mistake... :blush

i meant your second line next -yes...

czrider263
11-20-2006, 09:14 PM
Yeah better chand

BLINK!

its changed

mike nash
11-21-2006, 01:05 PM
You know if it weren't for Chad my motor would still be stock. After reading alot of his posts and responses that he gave others I PM'd him and asked him if he did motorwork for people other than himself. And it just happened to be when he started his DRG porting.
My natural dis-trust of dealers and their prices would keep me from ever having anything done. But having talked with Chad on the phone and meeting him in person(when i dropped my quad off) it was clear that he has the passion and commitment to doing the very best job for his clients.And thankfully at a beyond fair price.
After having seen the other posts giving thanks and recognition I felt compelled to share. Thanks Chad:macho

I feel like I'm at an awards banquet for builder of the year.

MR.BIG
11-21-2006, 01:08 PM
You know if it weren't for Chad my motor would still be stock. After reading alot of his posts and responses that he gave others I PM'd him and asked him if he did motorwork for people other than himself. And it just happened to be when he started his DRG porting.
My natural dis-trust of dealers and their prices would keep me from ever having anything done. But having talked with Chad on the phone and meeting him in person(when i dropped my quad off) it was clear that he has the passion and commitment to doing the very best job for his clients.And thankfully at a beyond fair price.
After having seen the other posts giving thanks and recognition I felt compelled to share. Thanks Chad:macho

I feel like I'm at an awards banquet for builder of the year.

You are trying to get one of his special pistons aren't you:p

mike nash
11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Your funny, I was first on the list. Just waiting on delivery.:blah:

chad502ex
11-21-2006, 02:37 PM
again thanks for the great words.... it helps keep me focused to continue forward development, and to help others get what they should get for the money vested...

yea, mike is part of the first batch since he is considered the first to support my efforts, or more specifically- DRG TWIN...

i'm real excited about these pistons too. hopefully, they work out as planned for me; otherwise, I'll have to eat $1500 before i take anything from others wanting in on the first batch... :ermm: :fingerscrossed: cause i can't afford $1500 in paper-weights...

hardkoratvmxr
11-21-2006, 02:43 PM
where are these completed pics

xsr_racing28c
11-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Alright, i have some problems right now and will have an update later on..

I need to talk to Chad about some things first.. Nothing bad on his part..

~Jay

czrider263
11-21-2006, 04:58 PM
O NO:( :( :(

chad502ex
11-21-2006, 06:15 PM
O NO:( :( :(

no worries,..

Chino886
11-21-2006, 06:25 PM
no worries,..

I didn't! :devil:

chad502ex
11-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
I didn't! :devil:

well i did before i saw the pictures then i was complely relieved.... iwas glad i got to see it though...

xsr_racing28c
11-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Here are some pictures of the progress I've gotten throughout the week here. Sorry its been such a slow process, its just that i have a few projects going on at once and its hard to find enough time in a day to get done what i want to.

Anyways, here is the motor mounted up in the frame.

xsr_racing28c
11-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Notice the Titanium motor mounts i've used in this build. I have front and bottom Ti motor mounts along with all Titanium Motor Mount bolts. They are light and completely trick!!!

chad502ex
11-24-2006, 03:52 PM
Here are some pictures of the progress I've gotten throughout the week here. Sorry its been such a slow process, its just that i have a few projects going on at once and its hard to find enough time in a day to get done what i want to.

Anyways, here is the motor mounted up in the frame.

:eek2: :macho :D ;)

gotta love it!!! Jay give me a call when you get a chance...

eganracing
11-24-2006, 03:53 PM
its lookin pretty sweet

xsr_racing28c
11-24-2006, 03:56 PM
And the last one for tonite will be the pic of the bolted up front suspension.

JB Racing TT arms and PEP Big Bottle ARC TT shocks

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 03:58 PM
Got some more work done today.. As a matter of fact, I'm nearly complete with everything.

Here is top of the new DRG carb that i've installed..

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 04:01 PM
Here is the view the air is going to be seeing right before being introduced to a bunch of race fuel!! :devil:

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 04:03 PM
The fit and finish of DRG is second to none!!!

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Here is my ESR Intake to suck in the air...

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 04:07 PM
Here is a pic of the exhaust side installed..

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 04:09 PM
Ahh and here is my favorite pic so far... DRG baby!!!

czrider263
11-25-2006, 04:51 PM
That last one is sick!!!

Your going to love that monster.

chad502ex
11-25-2006, 05:01 PM
WOW, there you go!

real close to getting her done... wahoooo!

Alex, thanks man!

mike nash
11-25-2006, 05:51 PM
Will you be Dyno'ing the machine after it's re-assembled?

xsr_racing28c
11-25-2006, 09:57 PM
It will be dynoed very soon to get it tuned in for the ice. I am not going for peak HP yet until we get phase II complete, cuz as the setup is right now we're not going to be hitting very high numbers. But once we get some time in on the ice with the motor, we'll be choosing the cam we want, and we'll crunch some numbers and figure out what kind of machining will be done and at that point, we'll be getting the power we want.

I'll have charts up within the next two weeks i hope..

~Jay

Got nads?
11-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Are you going to be ice racing this setup?

xsr_racing28c
11-26-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes i will be running it on the ice this year.

xsr_racing28c
11-26-2006, 05:54 PM
Alright guys...I'm gonna give you all a brief update.

All afternoon yesterday was spent getting the motor in and mounted up in all locations as well as the installation process of hooking all of the lines, wires, and hoses.

Nearly the whole quad was reassembled and put together and all fluids were added after all. It got late last nite, and we decided to call it a nite. After letting it sit, I went out to the shop this morning to do a complete check over and button up anything that was not completely tight yet, and as I walked into the shop, I spotted a large oil puddle from beneath the motor.

I checked over everything and came to realize that the lower left hand side of the clutch side side case was cracked where the little 8mm bolt holds it onto the main cases. This hairline crack had been overlooked during my pre-installation inspection and is now a direct affect of it being beaten around by the UPS drivers. When i first recieved it we noticed a dent in the front lower motor mount but that was fixed and we moved on thinking nothing was wrong. Well after seeing the oil slowly drip from this hole, it was obvious that we had a small issue on our hands.

UPS has been contacted and Chad and I will be dealing with them tommorow morning first thing to get this straitened out. Just to be sure everyone knows this is not Chad or DRG's fault in anyway...

The motor will be taken out of the chassis tommorow evening, it will be further inspected for any other noticable damage and will be boxed and shipped back to DRG to be repaired and checked over.

On the brightside.... The second phase of this build (Phase II) will be completed during this time and the motor will be opened up, and some new parts will be installed as well as some detailed machining to give us the desired power we were looking for in our end result.

Chad has been very helpful with me throughout all of this and made me aware that he is standing behind this motor 100%. I can't say enough about DRG's great business and I just can't wait to see the finished product on Phase II.

I know i've said it earlier, but this is mishap is an issue with UPS and NOT DRG....

Thanks a ton Chad...

~Jay

chad502ex
11-26-2006, 06:04 PM
sorry for any inconvience this caused you jay,..

Good thing for insurance, this is what it's for....

luckily the right side crankcase cover and damaged can be repaired at no cost to xsr, and while the engine is being returned we'll upgrade to PHASE 2..

chad502ex
11-26-2006, 06:14 PM
jay, i was trying to post the pictures of the shipping damage but your images are difficult to post for the ppl.. can you help with this?

OH, by the way, that last picture is off the hook... we'll take care of the crank in the side cover and get you upgraded to PHASE 2 asap.

mike nash
11-26-2006, 07:41 PM
I feel your pain, hope everything goes smoothly. Bummer.
Phase Two, thread continues:macho .

xsr_racing28c
11-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Chad,

Though its a bummer that this had happened, I don't look at it as an inconvenience but as just another opportunity to better equip my motor for next season. Its very comforting working with someone who cares about his builder so much as to sit on the phone on a sunday afternoon for over an hour helping to get this all figured out and look to the future of this build. I really appreciate that Chad!!

Mike,
I'm just as excited as you are to see this build go on~! Its great knowing the motor is in my hands, but its even cooler when I get to think about it again when it comes back with more goodies done to it!!:D

If you want me to put up the pics of the damage i can Chad..
~Jay

xsr_racing28c
11-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Here are some of the pictures of the damage that occured during the shipment of the motor back to me.

The shear force of the motor hitting on the front motor mount actually drove the sidecase back into the mounting bolts of the side case thus cracking one piece on the back of the case... That is where the oil is escaping from the motor. Its a very small crack, but it can't just be looked over...It will definatley need to be replaced.

Here is the damage to the front lower motor mount. As you can see, UPS really had to drop this package hard to dent in the case this hard. Chad had this package completely bubble wraped and had it packed with foam, so denting it like this musta been a feat...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/xsr_racing28c/DSC01101.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/xsr_racing28c/DSC01100copy.jpg

In this next picture, i've circled where the crack is in the case. I couldn't get a real good pic of the crack due to back location and lighting, but at least it gives everyone an idea of where it is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/xsr_racing28c/DSC01137copy.jpg

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 07:52 AM
F'n shipping companies can ruin a wet dream....

Guess the PHASE2 will make it work it to you xsr... :macho

MR.BIG
11-27-2006, 08:20 AM
Ahhh man that really sucks! I guess your moneytree is ready at least:p

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
Ahhh man that really sucks! I guess your moneytree is ready at least:p

really its ok;

insurance ;)

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 08:44 AM
Haha... yea that wetdream stuff is overrated!!!

I'm glad I don't need to dream about having a bad *** motor, since I really have one!!

Phase II will put that smile back on my face. I'm a pretty easy going person so this little mishap really isn't phasing me at all. I realize that things happen and this is just part of life. I just wish DRG and I were located a little closer so it could be done hand to hand, but the business has been great anyways...

Chad, I'll be calling you probably tommorow nite and we'll get all of the bugs working out for Phase II along with a tracking number on the motor.

czrider263
11-27-2006, 09:15 AM
chad now your going to have 3 05 450r motors at your house LOL

Sorry for that luck:(

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 09:20 AM
chad now your going to have 3 05 450r motors at your house LOL

Sorry for that luck:(

5 czrider263 :D

czrider263
11-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Now who lol?

mike nash
11-27-2006, 09:38 AM
"04"Twin will be there soon for DRG upgrade very soon.

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
xsr_racing phase 2 upgrade and shipping repair.
czrider263 05 build up
DRG twin (mike nash)
TURBO-530 DRG build up
and DRG001

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Damn Chad, Your gonna be busy for awhile... :D

czrider263
11-27-2006, 09:58 AM
czrider263 05 build up
DRG twin (mike nash)
TURBO-530 DRG build up
and DRG001

a very busy man lol

Chino886
11-27-2006, 09:59 AM
czrider263 05 build up
DRG twin (mike nash)
TURBO-530 DRG build up
Chino886's 06 Head/Valve cleanup-Freeby!
and DRG001

Geez, Thanks Chad! :devil:

czrider263
11-27-2006, 10:00 AM
AHAHAHAHA a little nice edditing in there

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Send him your head Dave!!!!

Chino886
11-27-2006, 10:23 AM
Send him your head Dave!!!!

add it on your bill!

Don't tempt me!

I am weighing all my options at this time!

I could buy a new head and send him my spare cylinder for custom piston fitment.....LOL!

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 10:28 AM
Do it!!!

You know you want a DRG motor too :p

Any pics of your quad recently?? I miss seeing white R's!!!

I'm gonna switch up my colors again b4 winters done I'm sure, and I'm contemplating whether i should go back to white..

~Jay

Chino886
11-27-2006, 10:29 AM
no new ones recently, I will get some soon!

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Sounds good bud!!! Any news on your motor??

Chino886
11-27-2006, 11:01 AM
no, I did not touch it yesterday!

I will start with the carb and work from there!

xsr_racing28c
11-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Yea it sounds like something very very small, so just trace back your steps and i'll sure its something small..

Check that you tether is in..lol:D j/k

~Jay

Kilabanshee
11-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Hey Chad any more room left in that garage of yours?:eek2: :devil: I might have you do a dsar upgrade on my drg head along with your new piston. Give me a call later and tell me what's up.

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Kilabanshee
Hey Chad any more room left in that garage of yours?:eek2: :devil: I might have you do a dsar upgrade on my drg head along with your new piston. Give me a call later and tell me what's up.

you can call me anytime kila--- its been a while since anyhow...

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 01:26 PM
OK gang,..... 6 pistons are NOW processed for the first batch..

WAHHHOOOOOOOOO!

one each in first batch belongs to:

xsr_racing28c
czrider263
mike nash
TURBO-530 (x2)
and me...

czrider263
11-27-2006, 01:40 PM
how long till you get them?

and you can't dsar kila and not me LOL

chad502ex
11-27-2006, 01:42 PM
i would think in about 14 days or so...

xsr_racing28c
11-28-2006, 06:03 PM
Awesome....Just in time for my motor!!!!

I can't wait to see what these things end up looking like. I'm glad everything with JE worked out and they are gonna do exactly what you wanted. This piston is gonna be off the hook!!!!

~Jay

Scro
11-28-2006, 06:05 PM
OK gang,..... 6 pistons are NOW processed for the first batch..

WAHHHOOOOOOOOO!

one each in first batch belongs to:

xsr_racing28c
czrider263
mike nash
TURBO-530 (x2)
and me...

First batch and no pictures??!! Come on now, I'm a prospect!:D

chad502ex
11-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Scro
First batch and no pictures??!! Come on now, I'm a prospect!:D

North Alabama? are you kidding? only ppl from South Alabama get special treatment.. LOL just kidding lol

are you willing to take the next step? cause you'll see when i picture... if you happen to understand what makes up a 'shelf' piston, you'll definitely should be able to see the difference that mine isn't

:D:cool:

xsr_racing28c
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
ahhh... The tension is building!!!!

czrider263
11-29-2006, 05:55 AM
DUMMM DUMMMM DUMMM DUMMMMMMMMMM

dramatic music!!!!!

i can't wait either

OFFF THE HOOOOOOK SILLLLLY

TRXDresh
11-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Chad

Man that is really cool that you are designing your 2nd piston. Who are you going to have cut them?? I think you asked why I am not involved more into design than racing. I am a design engineer for Mercury Marine. I have entertained the idea of designing product for the ATV market because of the rediculous markup suspension manufacturers charge for their often shotty product. I am very concerned about the liability involved. We will see how things go in the future. If people don't quit getting killed on ATV's we might not even have a sport in a few years. For the most part, though, people that get critically injured on ATV's are riding 4x4's with no helmet on. It is a sad deal. Good luck with everything. You have some good concepts that you are utilizing that 99% of builders would't explore. I hope it can help you take off in the industry and maybe get some big riders on your side. GOOD LUCK!

chad502ex
11-30-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by TRXDresh
Chad

Man that is really cool that you are designing your 2nd piston. Who are you going to have cut them?? I think you asked why I am not involved more into design than racing. I am a design engineer for Mercury Marine. I have entertained the idea of designing product for the ATV market because of the rediculous markup suspension manufacturers charge for their often shotty product. I am very concerned about the liability involved. We will see how things go in the future. If people don't quit getting killed on ATV's we might not even have a sport in a few years. For the most part, though, people that get critically injured on ATV's are riding 4x4's with no helmet on. It is a sad deal. Good luck with everything. You have some good concepts that you are utilizing that 99% of builders would't explore. I hope it can help you take off in the industry and maybe get some big riders on your side. GOOD LUCK!

Thank you very much. I hope thing work out with you, too. We all hope that you 'go-for-it' with your suspension endeavors also. Sounds really kewl.

Yea, I may be considered one off, but i'm real happy with the results i'm producing thus far.... ;)

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
:cool: ~ Still waiting for UPS to call~

chad502ex
11-30-2006, 12:07 PM
i waiting for all hell to break loose too!!!

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Anything new Chad?? Lol.. I'm just bored at work ...

Any suggestions or thoughts about phase II you would like to share?? :devil:

~Jay

chad502ex
11-30-2006, 04:26 PM
well i thought i've already shared some details, but when i get your engine and cam, we'll clay check with my new piston for 'extra' clearances we can take out safely...

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2006, 06:43 PM
Alright cool... Sorry for the dumb question since i know what we'll be doing, I am just super bored. LOL..

chad502ex
11-30-2006, 06:44 PM
kinda weird that nobody else is asking,... is anyone else interested?

czrider263
11-30-2006, 06:59 PM
Im so interested but i know whats going on too so its no fun..

after phase 2 our motors are gonna be like BRAAAAAAAAP BRAAAAAAAP 120 ft table easy.

outlaw450r
11-30-2006, 07:06 PM
What about a 1/8 mile drag.

chad502ex
11-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by outlaw450r
What about a 1/8 mile drag.

low 7's.... :D

patrickj75
11-30-2006, 08:17 PM
i'm extremely interested.... i need details!

xsr_racing28c
11-30-2006, 08:48 PM
If you guys want.... Just ask specific questions, and Chad and I will be happy to answer anything we can..

~Jay

thump4863
11-30-2006, 09:17 PM
I'm curious about your component setup - are you using a JB TT swinger also? If so what linkage are you running?

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Chad,

Some girl just walked in my office this morning and inspected my package..:devil:

The motor will be in the mail tommorow morning with a 943 web cam in the box as well.

~Jay

chad502ex
12-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Chad,

Some girl just walked in my office this morning and inspected my package..:devil:

The motor will be in the mail tommorow morning with a 943 web cam in the box as well.

~Jay

lol!~

Chino886
12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Chad,

~Jay

Your girlfriend is not going to like that reply! :blah:

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by thump4863
I'm curious about your component setup - are you using a JB TT swinger also? If so what linkage are you running?

Alright sorry, i didn't even notice you responded on here. I am using all JB racing suspension components. I do have the JB racing Tubular style - 1 3/8 swinger along with a Janssen Racing Billet carrier.

I am using a ZPS triple rate PEP ARC rear shock with a Custom billet linkage setup. The linkage is somewhat similar to stock but uses billet aluminum...

~jay

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
Your girlfriend is not going to like that reply! :blah:

Shhhh... what she don't know, won't hurt her...:D

BTW... the girl was f***** HOT!!!!

I am going to continue my search for a better package to sent it in, so hopefully i find something better than what i have. All i know is it will be packed to the gills!!!!

~Jay

Chino886
12-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Shhhh... what she don't know, won't hurt her...:D

BTW... the girl was f***** HOT!!!!

I am going to continue my search for a better package to sent it in, so hopefully i find something better than what i have. All i know is it will be packed to the gills!!!!

~Jay

Send it to me and drop it on the floor before you ship it so I can file a claim with the "hot inspector"! :macho

thump4863
12-06-2006, 12:51 PM
Alright sorry, i didn't even notice you responded on here. I am using all JB racing suspension components. I do have the JB racing Tubular style - 1 3/8 swinger along with a Janssen Racing Billet carrier.

I am using a ZPS triple rate PEP ARC rear shock with a Custom billet linkage setup. The linkage is somewhat similar to stock but uses billet aluminum...

~jay

Thanks - I've already ordered my setup - I went with JB also but am getting a Baldwin linkage that he built to go with the JB and PEP setup.

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Dave,
She is a local rep so that wouldnt' work out too well for ya. Hell if i sent you a box and you damaged it on purpose you might get stuck with a 350 pounder..

Thump:
Post some pics when you get your setup..

Chino886
12-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Well Screw the motor, call her back, when she gets there, pack her up and ship her to me! :devil:

The PEPs should be arriving there anyday for measurements! Then I will be calling Baldwin for setup questions!

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Sweet dave!! I can't wait to see your build come together also.

Hey BTW: The ATVA put out there national schedule for next year yesterday and looks like i'll be coming down by you around july. There is a National TT race down in Ava, MO...You should meet me there!!!

~Jay

Chino886
12-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Sweet dave!! I can't wait to see your build come together also.

Hey BTW: The ATVA put out there national schedule for next year yesterday and looks like i'll be coming down by you around july. There is a National TT race down in Ava, MO...You should meet me there!!!

~Jay

And set my bike up in the Parking lot before Practice! :devil:

Sounds like a plan to me, just hope it isn't July 4th!

patrickj75
12-06-2006, 02:45 PM
the Ava , MO race is August 4th. i'd like to get down there myself. i just need to find a ride!

Patrick

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 06:17 PM
Patrick.

I'm looking for someone to travel with, so if you wanna come down and meet in Wisconsin, we can drive together..

Let me know... Jay

patrickj75
12-06-2006, 07:19 PM
thanks for the info Jay! i'm hoping i can get a few days off of work then to go. i'll keep in touch with you about it.

Patrick

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds good! We have a couple months to think about it and get it all setup...

Here is my Web 943/921 Cam that i picked up tonite. Looks like a pretty slick piece of billet!!!!

xsr_racing28c
12-06-2006, 07:25 PM
ASV sent me some goodies through my sponsorship..

I got a bunch of apparel and mixed in there somewhere are my C5 billet pro model clutch lever and brake levers..

patrickj75
12-06-2006, 07:28 PM
dang! i need to get me some ASV swag! i'm liking my levers so far. that cam looks pretty cool too.

Patrick

Chino886
12-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Sounds good! We have a couple months to think about it and get it all setup...

Here is my Web 943/921 Cam that i picked up tonite. Looks like a pretty slick piece of billet!!!!

Oh yeah, we got to get this set up, Patrick Jay and Dave going to a race together! :macho

xsr_racing28c
12-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Hell yea Dave..

I would really like to meet up for a race down close to you or somewhere in the middle.

If Patrick wants to meet up to go to a race, i'm totally game for that...

~jay

patrickj75
12-07-2006, 03:25 PM
i'm pretty sure i'll be able to do it. just need to figure out how much time to take off of work. i've never been to a national so i really need to make it happen.

Patrick

xsr_racing28c
12-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Dont worry , we'll make it happen.

Chad,
DHL didn't get here in time today to pick up the motor, so they are coming first thing in the morning.

I'll have you a tracking number in the morning for you to keep up on when you should be expecting it.. Thanks bud, Jay

Chino886
12-08-2006, 05:55 AM
Puttin' it on my calendar!

Now I just have to learn how to TT race...........:eek:

xsr_racing28c
12-08-2006, 07:21 AM
You'll figure it out soon enough!!

Chino886
12-08-2006, 07:28 AM
You'll wreck soon enough!!

LOL! Thanks for the vote of confidence :devil:

patrickj75
12-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Chino buddy!
if i can do it, you can do it! i hope this works out. it would be cool to meet.

Patrick

Chino886
12-08-2006, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by patrickj75
Chino buddy!
if i can do it, you can do it! i hope this works out. it would be cool to meet.

Patrick

For sure!

Jay and I have been talking about it forever!

Let's git'r done!

patrickj75
12-08-2006, 08:39 AM
i've been dreaming of going to a national since i was 15.

Chino886
12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
i've been creaming about going to a national since i was 15.

Too much information there buddy!

LOL, just messing with you!

Maybe we can get my bro danhung11 to go tooo!

Chino886
12-08-2006, 08:41 AM
i've been dreaming of going to a national since i was 15.

Have you been racing that long? Your going to kick my arse!

patrickj75
12-08-2006, 08:43 AM
oooppsss! i meant dreaming! LOL

i started racing when i was 15. i raced until i was 22 then took time off. i started again at 30. i'm 31 now.

Sheepless
12-13-2006, 10:27 AM
As always, great info Chad.

Now cmon DHL/UPS, I am patiently waiting for the completion of this build:)

chad502ex
12-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Sheepless
As always, great info Chad.

Now cmon DHL/UPS, I am patiently waiting for the completion of this build:)

thanks man... its kewl that you are enjoying the build-up here. Both me and xsr_racing are having a ball.... I should be getting the engine today... UPS insurance is being stingy with the claim, but we are getting closer to pay for the repair and Phase2 buildup so no money don't come from Jay's pocket... if UPS denies the claim then all I can do is pay for the repairs... I wish my business account had more more to offer cause i would just pay for Jay's patience...

either way, it will be awesome...

xsr_racing28c
12-13-2006, 11:07 AM
As Chad said, we are both having a great time with this build. Not only have I enjoyed watching my motor go from nearly stock to a complete monster, but I've also enjoyed learning more about these 4 stroke motors and the little tweeks done to produce power.

DRG has been a total pleasure to work with and I have NO complaints what so ever.. He has done far above what was requested and I will definatley go back to him whenever motorwork is needed..

Update: Just tracked the motor and it looks like it should show up tommorow mid day..

Keep an eye out for it Chad..

~Jay

xsr_racing28c
12-14-2006, 12:26 PM
DHL says that the motor was delivered at 11:33 am this morning to your door.

Let me know how everything looks and post some pics!!!!!!!

Now the blood is rushing since i know within a few days I'll have a complete monster!!!!

~Jay:devil:

kfx008
12-14-2006, 03:47 PM
i missed it what happend to the motor?

chad502ex
12-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by kfx008
i missed it what happend to the motor?

UPS F'd it up on return delivery... I'm fighting an insurance claim, but of coarse, UPS with all their money is being resistive to admit that the package was in their possession and it was damaged in their hands.... To me, it shouldn't matter if i handed the UPS driver an egg to ship, it should arrive not cracked especially if I insure the egg for $5000,,,, anyway,, not a big deal... i'll repair and move on to PHASE 2...

now that I have the engine and that i've spoken to JE Pistons tonight, looks like I'll have some time to get replacement parts shipped and get it ready so that when the piston does arrive it'll be ready to assemble.. :D

xsr_racing28c
12-15-2006, 09:02 AM
So have you had time to look over the motor and see if you can spot anything else??

Im sure this will be an easy fix..

I can't wait to get that piston and cam in!!

~Jay:macho

chad502ex
12-15-2006, 09:32 AM
So have you had time to look over the motor and see if you can spot anything else??

Im sure this will be an easy fix..

I can't wait to get that piston and cam in!!

I just removed it from the shipping container and positioned the engine atop my bench getting ready for action.... Hey, how about upgrading your water pump impellor since we need to replace the side cover and change out your water pump to the new cover anyway?

they are about $60 plus shipping...

xsr_racing28c
12-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I pm'd you Chad..

If its worth doing it i would say yes..

Thanks, JAY

czrider263
12-16-2006, 06:35 PM
CHAD FINISH UPDATING YOUR WEBSITE lol

breeeeeeezzzzzzwooooooood tom!

o and chad the head got sent to me? so i put it in the mail yestarday headed down to you!

chad502ex
12-16-2006, 06:53 PM
yea, i'br got thee engines on the bech waiting for pistons and another comin early next week.... COM'on SANTA!

xsr_racing28c
12-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Chad,
Your pm box is Full!!

This is the message i tryed to send you..

Chad,
Over the weekend and this morning I've been trying to order that impeller and for some damn reason with all of the anti virus and pop up blockers it wont let me add that item to my cart and purchase it. I really don't know why the hell this is happening, but if you would do me a favor and order it, i can paypal you before you buy it so you have the money in your hands. Let me know if you'll do that for me. Thanks bud, JAY

chad502ex
12-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Chad,
Your pm box is Full!!

This is the message i tryed to send you..

Chad,
Over the weekend and this morning I've been trying to order that impeller and for some damn reason with all of the anti virus and pop up blockers it wont let me add that item to my cart and purchase it. I really don't know why the hell this is happening, but if you would do me a favor and order it, i can paypal you before you buy it so you have the money in your hands. Let me know if you'll do that for me. Thanks bud, JAY

OK thanks. I have your HONDA replacement parts on order today. I'll contact MODQUAD for the impellor part.

xsr_racing28c
12-18-2006, 10:51 AM
Sounds good,

Just let me know what i owe you then.. Thanks, Jay

xsr_racing28c
12-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Chad,
I got your voicemail last nite and tryed to call you back. I left a message.
I just got off the phone with modquad and am having it drop shipped to you, so you should be seeing that within the next couple days.

Let me know if anything else is up when you get a chance.

ALso, have you seen any chucks of aluminum that say DRG on them yet?? :devil:

~Jason

czrider263
12-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Chad,
ALso, have you seen any chucks of aluminum that say DRG on them yet?? :devil:

~Jason

LOL I sure hope sooo!!:D

xsr_racing28c
12-19-2006, 01:07 PM
How's your motor coming along Alex?

czrider263
12-19-2006, 01:18 PM
How's your motor coming along Alex? \

Well idk after chad said he can't get the head i sent him?? As soon as he has got his christmas presents from JE, he can really get started on it.

xsr_racing28c
12-19-2006, 01:26 PM
what do you mean he can't get your head??

czrider263
12-19-2006, 01:36 PM
He said something about that he couldn't signe for it and it was going to be returned to me?

xsr_racing28c
12-19-2006, 01:55 PM
hmm.. weird , well good luck with that..

chad502ex
12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
all is good :macho

I had to write a letter and leave it in my mailbox for the mail-lady for permission to leave the insured signature package at my doorstep anyway,... :D

so, as soon as these pistons arrive we can start machining....

chad502ex
12-28-2006, 06:14 PM
OK PPL- UPDATE:

JE PISTONS has released my forging which means it should be real soon now for the pistons to arrive..

5 builds waiting on pistons (one behind me not pictured)....

chad502ex
12-28-2006, 06:18 PM
XSR; i received the TRX450R MODQUAD Impeller... here's a picture

BTW: I'll be installing the impeller this weekend along with making the side cover repair from dropped shipping...

lumi
12-28-2006, 06:33 PM
great stuff chad... i admire ur builds man...
arent u makin ur own piston according to ur site?

nice impeller, hey chad a question a bit off topic but the impeller reminded me.. what do u think about the leaking from the "drain tube" under then water pump? i and alot of other 06 owners are getting minor leaks from this area since we have got the quads out of the crate?i know it can sometimes tell for a bad seal but 3 brand new quads i have seen have this? and the coolant tank reserve almost never budges... also full.. thats how little. can it be designed to let a bit go somehow which wouldnt make sense but u have more knowledge tearing these thigns aprt than me.

thanks alot

-lumi

chad502ex
12-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by lumi
great stuff chad... i admire ur builds man...
arent u makin ur own piston according to ur site?

nice impeller, hey chad a question a bit off topic but the impeller reminded me.. what do u think about the leaking from the "drain tube" under then water pump? i and alot of other 06 owners are getting minor leaks from this area since we have got the quads out of the crate?i know it can sometimes tell for a bad seal but 3 brand new quads i have seen have this? and the coolant tank reserve almost never budges... also full.. thats how little. can it be designed to let a bit go somehow which wouldnt make sense but u have more knowledge tearing these thigns aprt than me.

thanks alot

-lumi

thanks lumi for the good comments. Yes, I am making a custom race piston.. there are already 6 pre-orders for this piston and five engines are on the bench waiting for them to arrive.. They should be fugg'n incredible... cant wait! :D

as far as your drain tube,... this is not a concern unless the coolant is flowing pretty hard and the overflow is being siffened to refill the radiator, then there is an issue... more than likely the seal and plug insert is not making perfect seal,.. I would not be removing the side cover unless the flow was excessive... my 0.02.

hope this helps.

eganracing
12-28-2006, 06:48 PM
can all engines whether there built up or stock benefit from the impeller that u got for xsr?

chad502ex
12-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by eganracing
can all engines whether there built up or stock benefit from the impeller that u got for xsr?

yes, a cooler engine will develop more power--- according to mod quad this impeller is good for more than 5 degrees so i'm told.. it seems like a great product imo.

lumi
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
thanks alot chad for the response ur the man... :)

-lumi

xsr_racing28c
12-29-2006, 07:26 AM
Last nite after seeing the impeller, I thought about whether or not i should go ahead and get an aftermarket radiator also? I have an aftermarket one on my YFZ, but didn't go ahead with it one my 450r because i figured I would save some weight that way, but reliablity sits better with me than weight savings.. so what do you guys think??

~Jay

BTW: The impeller looks great Chad!

chad502ex
12-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Last nite after seeing the impeller, I thought about whether or not i should go ahead and get an aftermarket radiator also? I have an aftermarket one on my YFZ, but didn't go ahead with it one my 450r because i figured I would save some weight that way, but reliablity sits better with me than weight savings.. so what do you guys think??

~Jay

BTW: The impeller looks great Chad!

Yea Jay, I have the aftermarket radiator, it works awesome and cools significantly to up to 30% more cooler...

xsr_racing28c
12-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Any suggestions on what kind i should get?? I have an Extreme Fabrication one on my YFZ but I have no expierience with anyone else.. thanks, Jay:D

Scro
12-29-2006, 08:11 AM
I've had great results out of my PWR:macho

chad502ex
12-29-2006, 08:21 AM
I've had great results out of my PWR:macho

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-TRX-450r-450-r-PWR-radiator-NEW-CV-radiator-hoses_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQihZ002QQit emZ120068120140QQrdZ1

xsr_racing28c
12-29-2006, 08:46 AM
alright I'll check into PWR.. I think Janssen sells them, so i can pick one up under sponsorship..

Chad, The link you gave me sent me to a bunch of DVD's forsale..

~Jay;)

chad502ex
12-29-2006, 08:54 AM
alright I'll check into PWR.. I think Janssen sells them, so i can pick one up under sponsorship..

Chad, The link you gave me sent me to a bunch of DVD's forsale..

~Jay;)

LOL, thats funny ****z right dare!! LOL!

The eBay link is a PWR that Jansen is selling... heh

xsr_racing28c
12-29-2006, 09:35 AM
the link wont work for me, but I'll call up there and probably order one up..

~Jay

xsr_racing28c
12-29-2006, 10:33 AM
Alright, well I just talked to Janssen and they are bringin me one down to my house here tonite.. I'll have pics up soon..

thanks, jay:D

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 01:49 PM
clearly a better advantage with this billet water pump impeller from MODQUAD.com

as illustrated, the MODQUAD billet water pump impeller appears to have the same dimensions with the curve blades, height of the blades with the advantage being that the inner scoop of the blades are better at 'scooping' as compared to stock where the water can backwash by being pushed upward on the blades scoop area toward the water pump cover....

I can tell this will be a mod i look forward to doing on my engine...

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 01:52 PM
yup, sure enough,... F'n UPS F'd up the right crankcase cover right below the tranny drain bolt...

required me to replace the cover and rebuild a water pump in the new cover...

here's the damage before repaired...

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 01:56 PM
There has been many questions as to why the water pump overflo tube 'weeps'

Here's the answer,.. a little drip here and there is ok, since the seal that is pressed into this area is designed to have an area where excessive pressure vents... If there is a steady of flow venting, then chances are the seal needs to be pressed out and replaced..

See the weep hole?

lumi
01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
wow CHAD u answered my questions and more.... i love these engine pics man... always teach me so much.... now i got a visual to go with ur answer to my question about the weeping....

you the man and great looking motor...

-lumi

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 01:58 PM
engine repaired from UPS damaging during shipping...

READY for start of PHASE 2 when the pistons get here hopefully this week...

wahooo.

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by lumi
wow CHAD u answered my questions and more.... i love these engine pics man... always teach me so much.... now i got a visual to go with ur answer to my question about the weeping....

you the man and great looking motor...

-lumi

I knew you would appreciate my latest posting to answer your question you had... :D

patrickj75
01-01-2007, 06:55 PM
Chad,
whats all involved in putting in a new impellar?

Patrick

chad502ex
01-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Chad,
whats all involved in putting in a new impellar?

Patrick

pop the water pump cover, loosen the impeller, and install new one and tighten, replace water pump cover.

xsr_racing28c
01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Looks great Chad. I can totally see where that impeller will help. I can't wait to see more updated pics.

czrider263
01-02-2007, 05:15 AM
LOOKING GOOOOOOOOD:D

chad502ex
01-02-2007, 06:25 AM
LOOKING GOOOOOOOOD:D

we should get ready to fill your HONDA order... ;)

czrider263
01-02-2007, 06:39 AM
we should get ready to fill your HONDA order... ;)

Soon cuz the money should roll in soooon. can't wait to order that custom crank balanced to your piston!

xsr_racing28c
01-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Come on Chad.. Expose those pistons...

~Jay

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 11:27 AM
Come on Chad.. Expose those pistons...

~Jay

you asked for it, you got it.... :macho: i'll post additional pictures later

True 15:1 two ringer
NEW Forged Side Relief (FSR) second generation forging
lateral gas ported
Tuff Skirt -million mile coated (unlike other spray side skirt coating)
internal and external bracing
brace windowing
3D undercrowning in every cavity to reduce weight
bridged dual force pin oilers
accumulator grooves
anti-detonation grooves
tuliped extra deep valve pockets
higher compression height for tighter squish
laser etched

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 11:33 AM
another..

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 11:34 AM
last..

oldskoolex400
02-01-2007, 11:38 AM
wow, thats making me drool, looks good

ghott
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Whats the weight on that sucker Chadwick?

Can she be run with any cam, any valves?

Whats the expected life?

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by ghott
Whats the weight on that sucker Chadwick?

Can she be run with any cam, any valves?

Whats the expected life?

272 grams

any cam- yes

the piston pictured is for Hi-Flo Ferrea SS intake ($30/ea) and stock exhaust. IMO Ferrea valves are the best... :D

life expectancy is extremely long since the piston is designed around the stock rings, Tuff Skirt that doesn't wear, and internally/externally braced for added durability. :macho

ghott
02-01-2007, 12:04 PM
272 grams

any cam- yes

the piston pictured is for Hi-Flo Ferrea SS intake ($30/ea) and stock exhaust. IMO Ferrea valves are the best... :D

life expectancy is extremely long since the piston is designed around the stock rings :macho

That weight with the wrist pin?

Even cams over .415 lift will work without having to cut it?

I'm using Ferrea Super Flow intakes and Stock exhaust valves :)

No nitrided for you huh? Will you elaborate on the reasoning :blah:

Scro
02-01-2007, 12:06 PM
272 grams

any cam- yes

life expectancy is extremely long since the piston is designed around the stock rings, Tuff Skirt that doesn't wear, and internally/externally braced for added durability. :macho

How does that weight compare to other pistons such as Wiseco and JE?

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
That weight with the wrist pin?

Even cams over .415 lift will work without having to cut it?

I'm using Ferrea Super Flow intakes and Stock exhaust valves :)

No nitrided for you huh? Will you elaborate on the reasoning :blah:

The cutouts around were cut another 0.015" deeper than what is required to fit a 208. I'll verifiy tonight or this weekend by a clay-check.

HONDA rings are the best; plus they are readily available by anyone by picking up the phone and calling service honda!

I will weigh as an assembly with pin and ring pack as soon as I can get it done... The weight of the piston is the finished weight from the spec sheet of the piston.

xsr_racing28c
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
OMFG!!!! Chad that looks like something out of a space ship!!! LOL.. Looks completely sick!

I can't wait to see how it works on my motor! I'm hoping its going to work well with my balanced crank.. you said it would be close to the baldwin right?

Later, Jay:devil:

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:17 PM
How does that weight compare to other pistons such as Wiseco and JE?

my 15:1 piston weights ~10g more than JE's 13:1 Race piston with more bracing, structure, and more compression dome/height.. I'd say that's incredible with added durability....

I have all the weight numbers somone posted on all the other pistons as an assembly weight on another forum. I'll have to dig up for comparison.... I just need to locate the text at home to properly answer.

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:19 PM
OMFG!!!! Chad that looks like something out of a space ship!!! LOL.. Looks completely sick!

I can't wait to see how it works on my motor! I'm hoping its going to work well with my balanced crank.. you said it would be close to the baldwin right?

Later, Jay:devil:

that's what i said... close enough in weight not to worry about re-balancing... ::cool:

ghott
02-01-2007, 12:21 PM
The cutouts around were cut another 0.015" deeper than what is required to fit a 208. I'll verifiy tonight or this weekend by a clay-check.

HONDA rings are the best; plus they are readily available by anyone by picking up the phone and calling service honda!

I will weigh as an assembly with pin and ring pack as soon as I can get it done... The weight of the piston is the finished weight from the spec sheet of the piston.

Everything sounds great Chad. And thanks for answering all my questions....just a couple more for ya though.

A while back...you stated that you wouldn't recommend these pistons to anyone but a full on racer.....is this still the case? If so, why should I choose the Baldwin 14:1 over your new piston?

What would a 94mm DRG piston cost a fellow?

xsr_racing28c
02-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Perfect Chad!! You out did yourself here with this piston. So when are we gonna get her dropped in and machined..? I'm geekin' out at work here and had to shop one of the guys in the office. His words exactly.. " wtf is that" LOL...

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:34 PM
[B]Everything sounds great Chad. And thanks for answering all my questions....just a couple more for ya though.

A while back...you stated that you wouldn't recommend these pistons to anyone but a full on racer.....is this still the case?

To be honest, this piston, due to the valve tulips, was designed for Ferrea SS Hi-Flow intake valves and Stock Exhaust valves; however, if the cam lift isn't 'large' then no need to worries about the tulips tagging any type of valve. In other words, most 'drop'in cam profiles valve lift can have about 0.100" of P-V, so if that's the case the tulip wont come close at all...

If so, why should I choose the Baldwin 14:1 over your new piston?

just look over at my piston specs and compare against the specs of the Baldwin... there should be no question here.... ;)

What would a 94mm DRG piston cost a fellow?

out of respect for ATVRIDERS site sponcors, if your interested, I would suggest contacting me off-line. I'm not a site sponcor here and I don't want to over-step my aggreement with Harlen.

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Perfect Chad!! You out did yourself here with this piston. So when are we gonna get her dropped in and machined..? I'm geekin' out at work here and had to shop one of the guys in the office. His words exactly.. " wtf is that" LOL...

Thanks Jay, A lot of precise engineering went into this design. Even JE Pistons are extremely pleased that they were able to deliver. It took some time, but now JE has it all programmed for manufacturing... Although, this piston is highly engineered, all it requires is one set of Ferrea intake valves at ~$35/each... Perfect match and the best of both components imo...

this weekend I want to have it installed to check for 'remaining' clearances ;)

Elduner
02-01-2007, 12:52 PM
Chad,

ElDuner here...

How you think it will hold up to the Nitrous? is it forged?

also what is the cost of one of these? Curious to drop it in and run it on the bottle...

Im serious... Let me have some details....

xsr_racing28c
02-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Sounds great Chad. I already have the Wet flow Ferrea valves so I am set right?

I can't wait to see it installed.. its gonna look bad ***!!

~Jay

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 12:56 PM
Sounds great Chad. I already have the Wet flow Ferrea valves so I am set right?

I can't wait to see it installed.. its gonna look bad ***!!

~Jay

Yes you are good and set...

xsr_racing28c
02-01-2007, 12:58 PM
:D Perfect.. Did you get my pm about the Baldwin??

~Jay

chad502ex
02-01-2007, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by quad_rider
Chad,

ElDuner here...

How you think it will hold up to the Nitrous? is it forged?

also what is the cost of one of these? Curious to drop it in and run it on the bottle...

Im serious... Let me have some details....

Hey ElDuner.....

the piston is second generation FSR forged... strongest piston available with all it's internal and external bracing.

I'll post the remaining pictures when i get home showing the side and wrist pin bridged dual oilers... :D