PDA

View Full Version : Axis vs Elka /which is better???

Jimmer
09-03-2002, 12:50 AM
Has anyone had Axis and Elka. Which did you find was better initially and then over time which held up better? I find that most of the people on ex riders seem to like the elkas. Is it because they are better or because they are cheaper or a combo of the two. Specificly I'm looking into the long travel 19' shocks but if you have some experience with both in a 16' shock thats fine too. Thanks for the insight guys.

yamaha1470
09-03-2002, 05:42 AM
I think people like the elkas a lot because there quality is very close to axis and pep and there is not that long of a wait.

BadA$$440
09-03-2002, 06:00 AM
I think if you are a full out racer who is in the A or Pro class and money aint a problem then AXIS is the way to go. BUT if you are beginner or novice and just want a much plusher ride, then get some elkas. I race harescrambles and almost every A rider has Custom Axis. You will notice a huge difference with either shock. Go with what your cmfortable with , not what someone tells you to buy, go to a race, find a guy about your size with one of those shocks and try it out, it would be your best bet cuz then you could really get a feel for it.

Bad*****440

cdalejef
09-03-2002, 07:45 AM
I have had both and I can honestly say that they are about the same. The internal parts are identical between the two.

Jimmer
09-03-2002, 08:43 AM
Hey Jeff whats the deal with the quadrate shocks from elka? Are they neccesary or is that overkill? Does Axis make quadrate, I have not seen any. How bout a comparison between axis triple rate and Elka quadrate which ones are better? Sorry about all the questions but lastly what does a set of quadrate if I buy them from you and how long? Thanks for your help.

Jimmer (Jim)

cdalejef
09-03-2002, 10:28 AM
The Elka quad rate shocks are the 19" long travel shocks. Axis doesn't offer quad rates shocks. The Axis and Elka's are about the same, I can't tell the difference between the two riding them. Thats standard length triple rate that i am comparing. As far as the quad rates go, yes they are worth every penny if you are a die hard racer. If you play ride or race for fun then the standard length triple rates will work wonderful.
I have been running the Elka quad rates since december of last year and they are the best shock I have run in 12 years of pro XC racing!

hope this helps,