PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I'm lost

Blue250X
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Alright, i want to buy a web cam for my threewheeler and im lookin at their site and it says 112 bucks.. im thinkin ok, i can fork it out, but it says hardweld... does that mean i have to send my cam in for them to weld on top of? And then under it it says cam core 85 bucks...i dont understand this...i dont know what their selling... can anyone help me out?? thanks

Blue250X
09-30-2006, 07:54 AM
Oh, and it's a 1984 Yamaha 225dx if thats any help

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 09:31 AM
u will need to send in the core, or else u will suffer the $85 core charge. also, u will need o have ur rockers hardwelded. that will cost u as well. just get a hotcams. in the end u will have spent less because u will not have to hardweld ur rockers.

rooster300ex
09-30-2006, 05:09 PM
I choose not to put hardwelded rockers when I put my webcam in, and I haven't had any trouble with em so far and i've been running it for awhile. Some people will not put a hardwelded cam without putting hardwelded rockers.

Ok for your question the cam will cost you 112 bucks after you get the webcam and send them your stock cam to refund 85bucks(core charge). what they are selling is a stock cam that has been rewelded to different specs. More lift & duration. That stock cam may be used by somebody in years, cuz they will take it and make a new cam out of it. More later.

wilkin250r
10-01-2006, 07:16 AM
I'm not a metallurgical engineer, but even with my limited knowledge in the arena, I would NOT use a hardweld cam without hardwelding your rockers.

I doubt hotcams sells a camshaft for the yamaha 225dx.

To answer the first question in detail: You are half right. Hardwelded camshafts take a stock camshaft, weld new material on, and grind it to new specs. The material they weld on is similar to the original, but it's not exact. That's just an unfortunate law of the welding universe. The new material is slightly harder and slightly more abrasive.

This is why you want to hardweld your rocker arm faces. You want the same material, or else the camshaft will chew up your rockers because they would have softer metal.

I say "half right" because you usually do not get your exact camshaft back. They have camshafts sitting on shelves, and they just exchange your old camshaft for a new hardwelded one. But they need your core to make a new one later down the line to exchange to somebody else. They do it this way to save time. Otherwise, they would have to process your cam, which could take weeks depending on their workload and schedule. This way, they send you a new one right away, and then weld on your camshaft later on when they have time.

You usually get charged up front for the core charge, and then it gets refunded if your old camshaft is useable. If your camshaft is NOT useable, then you don't get the refund, so your total price ends up being $197 ($112 + $85).