PDA

View Full Version : Would it be a good idea to have 6 gears on a utility?

rbgnwa45
09-30-2006, 06:27 AM
From my perspective everyone I know who has a ute. quad (ranchers/foremans/whatever) when they ride down the road to wherever they either cruise at like 42 or keep the thing pinned and only go about 47. Would it not be smart to add a sixth gear on quads like ranchers/foremans/bigbears or any manual shift atv? Would it add too much weight? Will the engine not be powerfull enough to pull it to it to say around 58-62mph? (keeping gears 1-4 the same but adjusting 5th a little to keep up with the sixth). I think it takes a lot of buyers away from buying the utility they think they need only because when they want to playride, it doesn't have a nice cruising top speep. A perfect quad to me would be an old style rancher that tops out at the 60mph area. Give me your opinions!

09-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Perfect 4x4 quad to me would the wolverine 450 that was not fullyautomatic---the semi auto like the old 1 had was great."was pissed i have a 95 waited 10 years for the new 1 to come out and its a fullauto.So i got the 700 raptor instead.Really a wolverine with the 700 semiauto in it i would buy in a sec!----------------------------------------------------------------p.s. Yamaha Plz mate the 2 quads in the pic:huh

rbgnwa45
09-30-2006, 04:31 PM
IMO a trail machine like the wolverine 450 should be a full auto simply because when your in the woods going anywhere from 2mph to 20mph you don't want to shift three times along the way :ermm: Manual shift comes into good use when either a clutch is needed or towing is going to be done. I don't like the new wolverine at all, I think they should have went with a more simplier route with these features:

2x4/full diff lock button
updated suspension with solid axle
6 gears
electronic steering like the new grizzly
350cc and 700cc models (both liquid cooled and EFI)
and updated but simple styling (infact I love the look of the previous 350's more so than new)

:chinese:

10-01-2006, 05:36 AM
you got a wheeler? what is it?

TOPDAWG
10-01-2006, 07:20 AM
A Honda Rincon with 750-800 V-Twin, with IRS, diff lock, selectable high and low, and a 5 speed manual. Oh, and an integrated removable snorkel system too! All with strong enough axles and such.

The only reason I picked a Rincon was because thier suspension/handeling is second to none in the utility world.