PDA

View Full Version : 3 Cam Questions

2K1 300EX
09-02-2002, 10:31 PM
I have 3 questions to ask about cams:

1.) Which cam is best for my set up(MegaMax II fullsystem, jetted,
K&N, modified airbox)?
2.) What other mods. are needed? Just valve springs & rockers?
3.) Can I put it in myself? If so post installation process.

Thanks.

2K1 300EX
09-02-2002, 11:17 PM
BUMP

Big - D Racing
09-03-2002, 12:32 AM
No cam is going to do you any good until you have a high compression piston. All cam companies tell you to get the piston first. Otherwise the cam will virtually do you no good. They are all designed to work with the piston. Do the piston first, then later do the cam. Depending on which cam you get, you may or may not need new valve springs or hardened rockers. Even the drop-in cams which don't need new springs or rockers are still intended to work with a high compression piston. You don't need to get a big bore kit, just like a 11:1 or greater piston. You can keep the stock bore size.

2K1 300EX
09-03-2002, 01:07 AM
I was gonna get the piston too, thought I had that on list on my post but I guess I forgot. What about the break in for them.....you need to let the engine idle for a period of time, and then ride it while varying the engine RPMs and when breaking in a cam you can't let the quad idle. So piston first then cam right.

2K1 300EX
09-04-2002, 11:46 AM
Anybody have any more suggestions???

VegasEx'r
09-04-2002, 12:51 PM
When you install a new cam, DO NOT, let the engine idle. Put in conventional oil (don't use synthetic oil for break in) and lube the cam lobes with motorcycle lube. Fire it up, and hold the throttle at about 2/3 - 3/4 open for 5-10 minutes. Let it cool down & do it again. If you want, you can repeat it a third time, but it isn't really necessary. Change the oil and filter. You can use conventional or synthetic oil at this point. For the first couple of hours of ride time, don't pin the throttle at WOT for more than a second or two (if you can avoid it altogether that is even better). Enjoy.