PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plug Problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

450rcrazy022692
09-29-2006, 08:53 PM
Two weeks ago i took out my drain bolt and with my drain bolt something else came out. I took the bolt to my local Honda dealer FOUR times all four times they are dumb founded. I go to another Suzuki dealer and they tell me after 40 mins of going back and forth from serivce to parts that i took out a "time sert". They told me they dont sell them i would have to send my motor out to the manufacturer. I really didnt fell like spending 200+ dollars on getting it fixed so i went to a Home Depot to just buy a bolt the size of the "time sert" i couldnt they are a special thread the guy told me.

What should i do right now i know of 2 options:Drill and tap a new bolt thread in the engine or send it to Honda.

If you have any suggestions please say them

PS-My time sert is stripped thats why i cant jsut screw it in

rebelbuggy
09-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 450rcrazy022692
Two weeks ago i took out my drain bolt and with my drain bolt something else came out. I took the bolt to my local Honda dealer FOUR times all four times they are dumb founded. I go to another Suzuki dealer and they tell me after 40 mins of going back and forth from serivce to parts that i took out a "time sert". They told me they dont sell them i would have to send my motor out to the manufacturer. I really didnt fell like spending 200+ dollars on getting it fixed so i went to a Home Depot to just buy a bolt the size of the "time sert" i couldnt they are a special thread the guy told me.

What should i do right now i know of 2 options:Drill and tap a new bolt thread in the engine or send it to Honda.

If you have any suggestions please say them

PS-My time sert is stripped thats why i cant jsut screw it in
I say drill and tap, but Not sure if your a good mechanic or handyman or whatever or not, some people dont have any busniess doing this kinda stuff.

I am going to be going thoough the same thing as soon as i do a oil change im pretty sure mine striped last change. I hope to get a plug a lil bigger and stick in mine

pro-rider46
09-29-2006, 09:08 PM
i say go for it you cant screw it up any more because it sounds like you will be buying a new motor any way

GIXXER1KR
09-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Take the motor out and bring it to a machine shop and see if they call Heli Coil it.It will be 10x's stronger than oem!!!U can even do it yourself but a machinist is your best bet!!!!

HAVOK
09-30-2006, 10:24 AM
Your problem could have been avoided. The crush washer need's to be replaced every couple oil changes.

fox17
09-30-2006, 10:37 AM
so was that the drain plug? or spmethin that shouldnt have been removed? im considering a 450r and dont need one that is screwed up.

Coolidge
09-30-2006, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
i say go for it you cant screw it up any more because it sounds like you will be buying a new motor any way

....doh! :eek2:

j_cyrus3
09-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by HAVOK
Your problem could have been avoided. The crush washer need's to be replaced every couple oil changes.

Whats this you speak of? I've changed my oil alot and haven't had a problem(knock on wood) What is it?

HAVOK
09-30-2006, 01:56 PM
The washer on the drain plug is a crush washer, it crushes down when you tightin the bolt. After it crushes so far it does not work and then you get striped treads when you over tightin the bolt.

ny300exrider
09-30-2006, 02:00 PM
wow thats actually kind of scary. i havnt replaced the crush washer and ive done probly 6-7 changes. i will definitly be replacing with a new washer next change, that seems like a big ordeal.

good luck getting it fixed

450rcrazy022692
09-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Oh thats something i jsut learned thanks for the tip.

450rcrazy022692
09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
WOH!!! I just looked if you can see in that picture there is no crush washer in between thats definitly a cause of the problem.....

HAVOK
09-30-2006, 02:04 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/PROTEK-MOTORSPORTS

Best price for washers...

His washer is there, its flat...

Coolidge
10-02-2006, 06:18 AM
I bought one of the seal washer/O-ring kits from him on Epay. Kit says it includes the oil drain alum. crush washer....I doesnt. It only has tranny drain (LOTS of em), tranny check and a bunch of O-rings. The seller wont reply to several emails. I wouldnt buy from that guy. The Honda service manual says to change EVERY time.

HAVOK
10-02-2006, 01:49 PM
On the 04-05 the trans drain bolt is the same as the motor oil drain bolt.