PDA

View Full Version : What Cam for 300EX????

quadfamily
10-14-2001, 09:21 PM
I have an 11:1 piston for my 300EX which I have not installed yet. It is an .080 over piston so I need to get it bored. I would like to get a cam for it while I have it apart to complement the new piston. My question is this: Does anyone make a cam that will just drop in (like the XR cam for the 400EX) without having to have the rockers hardface welded? So far the only cams I know of for the 300EX are the Web cams which require hard welded rockers. Thanks in advance!

Braff1
10-15-2001, 01:43 AM
You might want to check with them because I think they offer 2 style cam shafts, one requires new rockers and the other doesn't.

Dan

Red Rooster
10-15-2001, 06:41 PM
web cam has 4 different camshafts for the 300EX. drop-in to fullrace they sent me a catalog, price list,and 2 stickers. They have great service.I can find www. if you would like.

10-15-2001, 06:45 PM
the webcam website is in the links section

how hard is it to install a cam? and does anyone know the stock compression on a 300ex?

Dave400ex
10-15-2001, 06:57 PM
You might want to call TC Racing Engines or check out Sparksracing.com.

quadfamily
10-15-2001, 08:14 PM
I checked the Web cams site and they do list 4 cams for the 300EX but they all require hardweld rockers. The "bolt in" cam is just one where you do not need other things like high compression piston, performance exhaust, new valve springs etc. I also checked the Sparks site and couldn't find any cams there. I couldn't find TC Racings site. Anybody have any more ideas?? Thanks to those who have replied with advice!

Red Rooster
10-16-2001, 09:53 AM
Try Rick Ritter (ritter cycle racing) www.rittercycle.com he will hardweld your cam and give you HD valve springs $200+ shipping. call him (618)644-3211. he grinds them to your specs ie. amount of mods, compression, type of riding etc. He might take awhile though check with him.:macho

Dave400ex
10-16-2001, 03:13 PM
Sparks has cams on his site. Click on 300ex and then engine. They are listed in there. I`m not sure if you have to hardface the rocker arms or not, but you can call him and ask. TC racing does not have a site. You can call TC, (814) 723-3514. You might want to check FST too.

quadfamily
10-17-2001, 08:13 PM
I found out today that White Brothers makes 2 cams for the 300EX which do not require hardweld rockers. They recommend their upgraded valve springs and the also recommend getting new stock rockers when you put the cam in so that you have new surfaces on both the cam and the rockers when you start out. That way they will break in together. I was hoping to not have to buy rockers. My friend is a mechanic at teh local Honda dealer and he said if the rockers look good and smooth with no pitting or any irregualr wear then they should be alright with the new cam. He said White Brothers recommends new rockers because of too many people trying to warranty their cams that wiped out because they used their old rockers that were in bad condition. What do you guys think? The cam is only $105 plus I get a 20% discount off of that. Then there are the valve springs which will be around $60-70 with Titanium retainers. And if I do need them, new rockers are $71 for the pair from Honda.

kc 300EX
10-18-2001, 02:50 PM
quadfamily, that sounds like a pretty good setup to me, I would like to do something similar to my engine this winter. Are all the parts you are talking about(besides the rockers) from White Brothers? All the parts you mentioned seemed to be very well priced, the cheapest WB cam Ive seen was 130, and I thought that in order to get a cam you HAD to get aftermarket rockers, wich the cheapest Ive seen is around 140, also the only Valve springs Ive seen are around 100-130. So all the prices youve mentioned seem very good.

Please let us know all the information on the parts you mentioned, I am very interested

quadfamily
10-18-2001, 05:55 PM
The cam is White Brothers. The valve springs are not. I forget the brand name but they're supposed to be verg good quality. In fact the guy from White Brothers said that when one of the guys in the shop builds a motor for himself he uses this brand. I just can't remember the name. The WB cam is not welded on like the Web cams are, they're just re-ground. Therefore the cams are still original metal and do not require hardweld rockers. The prices are right out of the Parts Unlimited book at my Honda dealer.

Dave400ex
10-18-2001, 08:41 PM
It sounds good to me too.

quadfamily
10-19-2001, 07:25 PM
OK, here's the deal. I bought/ordered the cam and valvesprings today. The cam is White Brothers #1850. it has .320" lift on both intake and exhaust and it has 246 degrees duration on both. The cam was $84.00 with my discount. The valvesprings are Heavy Duty Kibblewhite brand and come with keepers and Titanium retainers. The spring kit cost $78.36 I had to pay tax on these items. Tax was around $10 for the whole bill. Not too bad. Hope it runs good!

Red Rooster
10-20-2001, 03:50 PM
Where did you get thatstuf? Those are great prices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quadfamily
10-21-2001, 07:12 AM
I got the parts from my local Honda dealer. You don't know what I had to do to get that 20percent discount at that place! I spent so much money there and paid list for everything. Then I found out about Service Honda. Well then I went to my dealer and told them that they were ripping me off and I was going to stop dealing with them altogether. The fact that I had a $550 order in my hand (with part numbers) that I was willing to take to Service Honda didn't hurt either! So they agreed to give me Service Honda prices on everything I buy as long as I look up the parts and bring them the part numbers. Fair enough. Then they also setup my account so that I got 20percent off of everything else I buy there like non-honda parts(cam, springs etc.), like everything in the parts unlimited catalog or any other catalog, apparel, Fox stuff, safety gear like chest protectors helmets, etc... We'll see if I get 20 percent off when I take my cylinder there to have it bored? I know they send it out for that. It really works out for me there now. I pay about what stuff costs in mail order catalogs plus tax. I figure that about equals shipping costs. I suggest everyone try this with their dealer. I really read these guys the riot act when I went there though. They knew I was pissed. I told them I have 4 Honda quads and two Honda ATC's plus 2 snowmobiles I have to maintain and I didn't care who I bought my parts from as long as I got good prices. They agreed.