View Full Version : How often should I change the trany. oil?

chris29
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM
Okay I race mx and I change my oil after every race but I was wondering how often should I change my trany. oil?:confused:

09-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by chris29
Okay I race mx and I change my oil after every race but I was wondering how often should I change my trany. oil?:confused:
Change it every time you change the engine oil.

KrazyKeith
09-30-2006, 06:01 AM
I htink the tranny oil should be changed more frequently than the engine only because when I change it the tranny side is always dirtier.

4ABURN
09-30-2006, 06:51 AM
Boy will this one be all over the place.!!!!!!! I do not slip the clutch very much, it's not like a 125 2 Stroke. So change it every other time I change my engine oil... :D

lumi
09-30-2006, 07:07 AM
a oil being dirty is not a sign that it has brokedown. its just from the metal constantly rubbing aganist the oil which lets off a black color. my 06 is stock and i change it aorund 50-75 hours. both tranny and engine plus oil filter. theres is no need for a stock quad to be changed more often. the honda manuals suggests 100 hours for both sides, but i ride a little hard than the usally rider so i do it a bit before.

-lumi

4ABURN
09-30-2006, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by lumi
a oil being dirty is not a sign that it has brokedown. its just from the metal constantly rubbing aganist the oil which lets off a black color. my 06 is stock and i change it aorund 50-75 hours. both tranny and engine plus oil filter. theres is no need for a stock quad to be changed more often. the honda manuals suggests 100 hours for both sides, but i ride a little hard than the usally rider so i do it a bit before.

-lumi

:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek2: :eek2:

lumi
09-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
:confused: :confused: :confused: :eek2: :eek2:

im guessing you tested these engines more than honda did and came with the conclusion that they were wrong to issue a 100 hour oil change, and your method was right? sorry to sound offensive its not suppose to.

-lumi

mx1791
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
all my naighbors change the oil after every race or everyother ride, and they change the trany oil after every 2 oil changes

Coolidge
09-30-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by TRX450R_Racer
Change it every time you change the engine oil.

ditto that. I change oil/tranny oil after every ride, and filter & oil evry other ride. Dont forget to change the seal washers on oil & trans drain plugs too.

lumi
09-30-2006, 11:11 AM
i mentioned a stock quad not a modifed one boys.

-lumi

honduh440
09-30-2006, 11:20 AM
everytime i change mine its fresh as can be i change mine ever 4th ride and motor oil every 2 rides " 1 race 1 practice"

d3ktrix
09-30-2006, 01:37 PM
I change my tranny and engine w/ filter about every 20 hours. But I don't run my bike hard, it puts out so much power I don't need any RPM :P

My tranny side is always SUPER clean when I change it, looks brand new.
I'm always thinking, what a waste of oil. lol

KOG
09-30-2006, 03:03 PM
i change both in around every 16 hrs

d3ktrix
09-30-2006, 04:17 PM
This sport is just a waste of oil and money :P

D Bergstrom
09-30-2006, 05:27 PM

-lumi

I am looking at the service manual right now. (This is for a 2004/2005, 2006 may be different.) Your are forgeting one thing. The manual says to change it every 100 hours OR 600 miles. I would just about bet money that the mileage interval would be the one that everyone should use. The only way you should use the 100 hours, is if when you ride you only average 6 miles per hour for your speed. (That would be 600 miles in 100 hours.) I highly doubt any one is going that slow when they ride there quad. I change my oil (both sides) after every race. (Granted, my races last for anywhere from 150 to almost 600 miles. If I could, I would change the oil during the race.) If I was not racing, and was just a trail rider, I still would probably change engine oil every 10-15 hours, and transmission every 20 hours. I figure oil is cheap, rebuilding a motor is expensive.

Doug

lumi
09-30-2006, 06:55 PM
your looking at it in the wrong aspect, you can use both to determine when to service the quad. either 600 miles of riding averaged in with time in varying speed and time spent idling, thats why i would say a hour meter would work better, for the engine of course and the miles for the tranny, not like your running the tranny the whole time as much as the engine.

for example for refering to the mileage, honda gives an estimate, u can be doing 80 mph, 50, 30 ,0(ilde) 5,1,70,20 0, 0, 0, 0 ,0. now do all of those things for one hour and you would have about 250 miles at about 13 hours. but the engine was still running at 0(idle). the oil is still be broken down and wore out thats where mileage cannot be recorded, thats why companies sell a hour meter, keeps the engine details on spec even when ur idling. thats why honda gives u a hour and mile reference. honda knows your not gonna ride at 6 mph for 100 hours.(600miles) they incorprate idle into it and varying speeds. they throw in 600 miles if your wondering because when the engine is under load it is worked harder, so after 600 miles
i got to go to work, be back on here in about 2 hours to finsih my thoguhts up

-lumi

KrazyKeith
10-01-2006, 06:36 AM
I don't care what the manual says about hours and miles!! There is no better better insurance for 12 bucks~~2 quarts and a filter. I would think it's better to change it early than 2 late. I gotta go I'm gonna go change my oil again. I save my drain oil and use it the lawnmowers and whatever else needs oil.

4ABURN
10-01-2006, 06:53 AM
im guessing you tested these engines more than honda did and came with the conclusion that they were wrong to issue a 100 hour oil change, and your method was right? sorry to sound offensive its not suppose to.

-lumi
Thats ok I was sure you would reply. I didn,t mean to sound like a d*** , but I have a hour meter on my guad I have rode my 06 all summer and still only have 35 hours on it. but if I didn't have the meter I would tell you I had 200 on it. So that means I would still be on my second oil change. Thats what I can't see being right. hour meter is a good buy.

:D :D :D

lumi
10-01-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by 4ABURN
Thats ok I was sure you would reply. I didn,t mean to sound like a d*** , but I have a hour meter on my guad I have rode my 06 all summer and still only have 35 hours on it. but if I didn't have the meter I would tell you I had 200 on it. So that means I would still be on my second oil change. Thats what I can't see being right. hour meter is a good buy.

:D :D :D

sorry if sounded like one too. well i guess everyone got there own opinion when it comes to oils and times to change them.

but as for the question asked in this post i would say for his setup i would go with a 20-30 hours change, depending on the style of riding as well.:D

-lumi