PDA

View Full Version : best for trails? raptor 700, 450r, or yfz

Raptor350yamaha
09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
What is the best for trails? There is usually mud involved and sometimes water up to your ankles, steep hills, and tight woods. I think thats it.

troutman561
09-28-2006, 10:13 PM
400ex just because its just as good in trails as those bikes and its power is more managable...... but if you must keep up with the jones's its probably the raptor, 450r, then yfz(the yfz power is 2 stroke like making it less fun in trails unless you like that)

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 08:08 AM
450R, those r some badass quads for the trails. my personal favorite

4punksdad
10-01-2006, 08:47 PM
all three quads you mention are for experienced riders only. In my opinion, no experienced rider would ask this question. Consider a smaller displacement quad.

450rJam
10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
I agree.............if your asking they are prob. out of your skill level.
but, the 700 raptor would be the best trail/mud/hill quad.
it has the torque to pull any hill, the clearance and power to eat through the mud, and it has reverse for trails.
any of these atv's will totally impress you and there is no bad choice between them.

hotrodder_250ex
10-22-2006, 07:04 PM
450r all the way

snowormud
10-23-2006, 08:59 AM
450r- it handles awesome and great power.
i don't think the raptor is a good handling machine from what i have rode.

Xater
10-23-2006, 02:26 PM
i rode a polaris pred and it riped in the trails and pulled through mud like no other.

krt400ex
10-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Xater
i rode a polaris pred and it riped in the trails and pulled through mud like no other.

ya, but they have soooo much bump steer.

f4istunna
10-30-2006, 09:49 PM
i have a yfz and 700r i prefer the 700 int he woods and hills, but then again if my yfz was on 20's instead of 18's i'd probably love it in the woods too lol

Reverse is a def. plus in trail riding

outlaw11
11-02-2006, 01:46 PM
my outlaw doesnt have bump steer alot its a pretty cool ride with it through the woods dont have to worry bout them creek beds its funny watching all my friends rear ends bouncing everywhere where i feel real smooth through the trails

krt400ex
11-02-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by outlaw11
my outlaw doesnt have bump steer alot its a pretty cool ride with it through the woods dont have to worry bout them creek beds its funny watching all my friends rear ends bouncing everywhere where i feel real smooth through the trails

i think they changed the front end on the outlaw. that is why

pro-pain
11-11-2006, 12:58 AM
raptor, then yfz then trx

stock trx have no torque, you need to clutch it up any technical trails, most trx have kick start and it is such a pain in the *** to start it up if you are stalled up a hill.

450rJam
11-11-2006, 03:39 AM
you need to ride an 06/07 trx
smaller counter sprocket,better trans. gearing,more hp & torque

most realistic people will agree the 700rappy or 400ex for trails/woods

Gumby46
11-11-2006, 04:03 AM
Originally posted by pro-pain

stock trx have no torque, you need to clutch it up any technical trails, most trx have kick start and it is such a pain in the *** to start it up if you are stalled up a hill.

You don't know what you are talking about. Show me any dyno chart that shows a stock TRX with less torque than a YFZ!

I have nothing against the YFZ, it's a great machine! But your information is incorrect.

The red line is a stock TRX450R and the blue line is a stock YFZ450.
http://www.gtthunder.com/sitebuilder/images/trx450dynotorque-650x487.jpg

Personally I would say the Raptor or TRX then the YFZ as far as trail machines.

Gumby46
11-11-2006, 04:05 AM
Additionally... if you are looking at an 04/05 TRX for trails you'll want to look into a 13 tooth front sprocket. They have a VERY tall first gear stock. Which may explain why some people make claims that they have less torque.

450rJam
11-11-2006, 04:10 AM
gumby speaks the truth

Gumby46
11-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by 450rJam
gumby speaks the truth

Thanks Jam. You over at trx450r.org?

snowormud
11-11-2006, 06:55 AM

that is what this world is coming to lazy people that don't even want to kick a quad to start it. i prefer it. after being stranded years ago on my 400ex when the battery died, forget about it.
my buddys on there 660's also had to be pulled started a couple times when the common starter problems happened. i have not ridden the 700 but think the 660 handled like crap. the front end floats and can't corner like an r.
the only way i ever will buy an electric start is if honda puts the option of a kicker and starter on their 450r quads otherwise it is kicker for me til i can't kick no more. i was looking for an 07 but all the dealers had were electric, so no deal for me. either all the smart people took all the kickers or honda know todays society for the most part is getting lazy and wants the easy road.

blueyeace1
11-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Ive rode all 3 in trails,mud,hills ...Raptor,trx,yfz..i prefer the Raptor for this type of ridding anyday!
Tracking & Racing...trx,yfz... all the way!

Robin Hood
11-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Raptor 700 Hands down. :cool:

11-11-2006, 03:00 PM
" such a pain in the *** to start it up if you are stalled up a hill"----hmmmmm a button or try and kick it----- i will take the button.:D

snowormud
11-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by 700YELLOWRAPTOR
" such a pain in the *** to start it up if you are stalled up a hill"----hmmmmm a button or try and kick it----- i will take the button.
i guess i know how to ride a clutch so i don't stall mine.
who would go so so on a hill to stall it? a rookie...

f4istunna
11-11-2006, 04:22 PM
lol ya not good to stall on a hill electric or kick ;)

ther 700 is my favorite trail bike can climb nasty hills dont even need a run at them crawls up. Everything holds up pretty good ont hem also, only thing i've ran into was broken headlight, and a arm that was my own fault lol. throw some skids, bumpers, nerfs on it and pretty tough.

450rJam
11-11-2006, 05:27 PM
yes gumby, I like both sites (alot of info in both)

pro-pain
11-12-2006, 01:18 AM
ok ok you dont need to get all defensive with dyno charts and stuff. i guess it is a sensitive topic. i have ridden both quads and they are about the same I like the looks of the YFZ more than the TRX its just my opinion because really it pretty much comes down to looks, stock - both of them dont have a lot of low end and are not that good for trails, but you can take them on trails if you want, i have, its nice and fun, not a huge issue.

its funny, some people get really worked up about stuff, if you go to a yfz forum they will say how much a trx sucks, you go to a trx forum, yfz are crap - and it seems every single forum hates raptors :)

i dont understand arguing about a kick start either, its obvious electric is more convenient, many trial bikes have them. but ****, it doesnt mean that you are totally screwd if you have a kick start.

i can ride in sandals too, but its nicer to wear shoes ;)

ps. it was an 05 TRX, i havent tried the new ones, if you say they are better, thats cool.
The YFZ was a '06, so i guess they are a little better than the 04/05 models.

i have no brand loyalty, i like all sport quads - except honda 400s, worst quad ever made... JK

Gumby46
11-12-2006, 01:30 AM
ok ok you dont need to get all defensive with dyno charts and stuff. i guess it is a sensitive topic. i have ridden both quads and they are about the same I like the looks of the YFZ more than the TRX its just my opinion because really it pretty much comes down to looks, stock - both of them dont have a lot of low end and are not that good for trails, but you can take them on trails if you want, i have, its nice and fun, not a huge issue.

its funny, some people get really worked up about stuff, if you go to a yfz forum they will say how much a trx sucks, you go to a trx forum, yfz are crap - and it seems every single forum hates raptors :)

i dont understand arguing about a kick start either, its obvious electric is more convenient, many trial bikes have them. but ****, it doesnt mean that you are totally screwd if you have a kick start.

i can ride in sandals too, but its nicer to wear shoes ;)

I'm not being defensive, I'm just stating facts as opposed to expressing my opinion to people as fact and giving them the wrong impression.

I also don't "get really worked up about stuff." I think all 3 are great machines. I have preferences for the TRX which is why I bought one. However I would have a hard time convincing someone to buy a TRX no matter what they were looking for. I would never go trash talking one because I don't like the way it looks.

The Raptor is a good quad however it lacks slightly compared to overall performance of either the TRX or YFZ.

pro-pain
11-12-2006, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by snowormud
i guess i know how to ride a clutch so i don't stall mine.
who would go so so on a hill to stall it? a rookie...

everyone was a newb at some time, there are trails where you cant always go full speed and accidents happen, i guess an experianced rider would know that...;)

pro-pain
11-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Gumby46
I'm not being defensive, I'm just stating facts as opposed to expressing my opinion to people as fact and giving them the wrong impression.

I also don't "get really worked up about stuff." I think all 3 are great machines. I have preferences for the TRX which is why I bought one. However I would have a hard time convincing someone to buy a TRX no matter what they were looking for. I would never go trash talking one because I don't like the way it looks.

The Raptor is a good quad however it lacks slightly compared to overall performance of either the TRX or YFZ.

i havent ridden a 700 that much to know it that well but the 660s were seriously lacking, they are way to short and narrow and all kinds of other crap - i still like them though :)

ps, and yeah i guess i should have said than it was not a fact, just my experiance with that particular quad and that every person should test drive every one of them for themselves and not let anyone else decide for them.

f4istunna
11-12-2006, 07:29 AM
i agree about the 660, my buddy had one when they came out i couldnt stand it stock too tippy and always carried the front wheels up hills. Rode my buddies 700 for a few hours and bought one that week its a whole nother machine, stance is right and the powerband is great for trails. I recently took a 660 in on a trade and threw an axle and a arms on it and it felt like a whole new bike also. So theres a lot you can do to any bike to make it more comfortable to the rider. But stock for stock i've owned or at least ridden almost every quad out and the 700r in ohio/pa trails is still where its at.

yfz or trx w/ 20's on the rear are nice in the trails also. Just dont seem responsive enough w/ 20's and stock gearing though.

luvmyex
11-15-2006, 08:00 PM
if you compare the diminsion of a 700 and a yfz , they really are much different.

jatizasy
11-28-2006, 01:54 PM
As everyone has said. Each bike has its unique attributes. But you guys have not talked about one important factor. The size of the rider... Size does matter... I am 5'10 and 185lbs.. I ride a 07 450er. I love it. I am in Kentucky so I also ride the steep trails and mud like you describe. I had to drop the front sprocket to a twelve tooth the o7 comes with a 13 tooth from the factory. My buddies have just about every bike made. They have the raptors, can-ams, hondas 400 ex and 250ex and 250 recon and 350 4x4, yfz 450 and ltr 450. Each bike rides different..

For my size I love the 450r. I am faster than the raptors both 660 and 700 and the can-am (650 DS) in the woods, only because the honda has a lower center of gravity. I have rode all bikes and they are all great but I suggest you ride your friends bike before you buy. And don't just ride them down the rode and back you have to ride them on a full day trip to really get the feel of the bike.

The yfz 450 and the ltr 450 are great bikes but I prefer the Honda. If I had to pick a all around best for our terrain. I would have to say the 400 ex.. You got plenty of power, can ride wheelies easily, very good on steep hill climbing, and has reverse. My disslike is no radiator, and I wanted more power. You also will have to drop the front sprocket one tooth for your terrain. Like I said this is my opinion. I regret that none of my buddies have the kaws to compare too.

If the raptor was just 2 inches lower in the suspension ( not ground clearance I would put it in the top. Like I said this is my opinion.. And of course you can change any setting with aftermarket parts but I am talking about bikes right off the showroom floor.. Thank you for your time..

I am sorry but I forgot to mention that I also have a banshee stock except for fmf pipes and it is wonderful in the woods and for climbing. But it does run a little hot when you idle it around and you have to know how to ride a two stroke to not fowl plugs and keep the power up. Once you master it each of the other bikes listed above have to be on their toes to keep up with it.

Robin Hood
11-30-2006, 05:05 PM
I said before I'd take the 700 hands down. I couldn't really give a reason why cause I was kinda busy but here goes nothing.

I've gotten on all the bikes, some with and some without mod's, and out of all of them the raptor rode the smoothest and had all the control and power where I wanted it, when I wanted it.

The YFZ rode like crap IMO. I will never ever sit on another one again. I felt like I was going to die on that bike unless I got off it immediately. It felt more tipsy than my 660.. And I'm running 22's in the rear. :confused: The bike I rode though wasn't maintained all too well and definately had some steering issues so I guess this isn't too great of a review on this machine.

The 450R was quick (considering it had a pipe and some minor engine work done) I tested this bike down at my local pit and I could slide the machine around anywhere I wanted. A tad bit too powerful for trail riding unless you want to get into scrambles and GNCC. I'd reccommend this one if you want to get a little more serious.

Overall I'd say the Raptor 700 would be the best choice all around. The 700 I rode had a Trinity Pipe set up and was tuned perfectly. I swear I took a few laps around the parking lot across the street from me and I was in love. Putting along in 3rd you could hammer on the gas and the front end would come right up off the ground, and just as soon as the nose would fall back down, you could easily tap the throttle and lift it right back up. Even with Razr 2's on it I could whip it around on asphalt and do some donuts anywhere.

Well that's all I've got for now. :D

jatizasy
12-01-2006, 07:44 AM
Like I said it has to do with your needs for the atv.. I liked the 700 except for the very thing that you liked,( the comming off the ground with a touch of the throttle). This makes it hard to climb the steep hills we climb here. The 700 has so much torque that one root on a steep mountain will put the bike tumbling end over end.. This is really the only problem I had with it.. The 660 is the same way and the ds 650 is the worst.. Each bike is still good machines you just have to figure out which one works best for you. Besides everyone don't like to climb steep ( I mean straight up) mountains. The extra power in the 450r is just what I need to climb the mountains or race through the trails. I am also like you. I was not impressed with the yfz. Unless you do some work to it. It does not perform the way my 450r does on our trails and hills but it is a beast on a open track with jumps.

4punksdad
12-01-2006, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by jatizasy
Like I said it has to do with your needs for the atv.. I liked the 700 except for the very thing that you liked,( the comming off the ground with a touch of the throttle). This makes it hard to climb the steep hills we climb here. The 700 has so much torque that one root on a steep mountain will put the bike tumbling end over end.. This is really the only problem I had with it.. The 660 is the same way and the ds 650 is the worst.. Each bike is still good machines you just have to figure out which one works best for you. Besides everyone don't like to climb steep ( I mean straight up) mountains. The extra power in the 450r is just what I need to climb the mountains or race through the trails. I am also like you. I was not impressed with the yfz. Unless you do some work to it. It does not perform the way my 450r does on our trails and hills but it is a beast on a open track with jumps.

the 700 is well balanced..............not a wheelie machine at all.........................you have not spent much time on one if you think its light in the front.

jatizasy
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
You are correct I only rode if for about an hour... After I climbed the first hill or two I was done.. But maybe I did not give it a fair shake because I was more used to the ease of handling my 450 gives on the hills. I still like the 700 and would not care to own one as a spare..

I forgot to mention is does have a good smooth ride. I also have heard of some problems with the fuel injections. Have you all..

whoamack22
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
ive got an 06 yfz and couldnt ask for better in the woods it rips right along have to lcutch it a lil down low sometimes but not bad, it was tippy at first but so are the R's until you get a little seat time on either . the yfz you just need to throttle more in turns the yfz like to break loose then track corners unlike the trx which will do it but prefers a point to where you are going then stab the throttle, very hard to explain what im sayin is that the yammie and honda are different riding styles and its all what you like, you cant go wrong with either of em including the 700

jatizasy
12-18-2006, 01:07 PM
I agree... I like them all.. It's just according to your riding conditions..... I saw some reviews on the new 450r Kaw... It looks to be impressive, reminds me of the ltr 450, but I am not a kawasaki or suzuki man...

4punksdad
12-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by jatizasy
You are correct I only rode if for about an hour... After I climbed the first hill or two I was done.. But maybe I did not give it a fair shake because I was more used to the ease of handling my 450 gives on the hills. I still like the 700 and would not care to own one as a spare..

I forgot to mention is does have a good smooth ride. I also have heard of some problems with the fuel injections. Have you all..

as for the fuel injection.........it seems to work well for me. I did foul a plug or 2 when it was new, but that was due to not letting it warm up. Sometimes it will cough when the throttle is gagged, but there again, it seems to be an issue only when the engine isn't warm enough.

Xater
12-26-2006, 05:59 PM
im getting i new quad in the spring/summer and im stuck between the rappy 700, a 450r, and a yfz, but im kinda thinking the rappy.... all i ride is trails so ill probly be picking up a rappy in the future.

bozz
12-26-2006, 07:01 PM
Take it from me the yfz is the best all around woods quad I had all three out the rapters gears are to far apart wide ratio gears the honda doesent have the bottem end always on the clutch i sold my raptor for a yfz trust me it's either the honda or the yfz the raptor needs closer gearing i am not bashing honda they are fast but in tight woods the yfz has better bottum end power just my opinion. there is no bad choice just alittle better

Rusty91o
12-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm going to have to say the Raptor. It's power isn't as manageable for the woods, but the suspension is perfect for the trails, along with the reverse.

450rJam
12-27-2006, 03:18 PM
bozz, im not doubting you but there is a night and day diff. between 660 and 700 raptor.
and between 04/05 450r and the 06/07 450r.
the yfz hasnt changed as much as the other two.

if you run the newer models, they are pretty impressive.

trxridr
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
personaly i like the 400ex it has all the power you need for the woods

Xater
12-27-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by trxridr
personaly i like the 400ex it has all the power you need for the woods unless your riding fast trails with a banshee, rm 125, pred, and a modded rappy 660. like i will be doing.

450rJam
12-27-2006, 07:27 PM
400ex will out handle the banshee, and the 660 in the trails.
fast or technical.

but the 400 wasnt one of the choices

oh............ I guess the banshee and 660 where not choices either.

good luck with this one.

Xater
12-28-2006, 11:46 AM
the 660 is totaly built

jatizasy
12-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I live in southeastern Ky. I am sure I am riding the same type of trails you are riding. I own a Banshee, 07 450r, 250ex, and a 350 wolverine. My friends that I ride with have the 650ds, 660 raptor, 450 ltr, 400 ex, 700 raptor, and the 450 yfz. I ride with these guys all the time. I have rode all bikes. My 450r is a great bike. I am sure I will be replacing the one way bearing in the starter. I knew that when I bought it but so far it has been fine.

Break down to me... Honda 450r Great hill climbing ability. I am faster only by about a bike lenth than the yfz 450 and the 700 raptor. On a long drag the 700 is faster because of the top end speed than my 450r and the yfz 450. The Honda only weighs 350lbs so it is easy to move aroud in the woods. This bike is water cooled.

The yfz 450 also hadles great in the woods and on hills. The yfz also weighs 350lbs. This is a great bike. No problem with the starter.. The bike is plenty fast enough. Stock it is just as fast as a stock 450r. Like I said I can only pull from it on take off.

The 700 has a more comfortable ride than either of the 450s but the 700 does not have the handling ability on the steep hills or the tight wooded trails as either of the 450s. The 700 is also a great bike you just have to get use to it before you can climb steep hills. The 700 is fuel injected, I have not heard of any problems yet, and it weighs almost 400lbs.

The decision lies with you. All three bikes are great. Either of the 450s are about the same. The 700 is a little different. I just always liked Honda better but Yamaha is my second choice. I would ride any of the three and be very happy. The only difference in the 450s to me is the Honda sets better for my weight and hieght than the yfz. The yfz hurts my shoulders and lower back if I ride it all day. You could change the handle bars and fix that but I am talking about stock bikes. There all about the same price too..

I guess it is whatever fits your *** the best and which one you can get the best deal on. Like I said I like em all but for my riding style I like the 450 the best. The Honda for me but you may feel more comfortable on the yfz. I suggest you ride all three for a whole day if possible before you buy.. Good luck I hope we have all helped you and not confused you more...

Xater
12-28-2006, 06:07 PM
^^^^^^^ how tall are you?

jatizasy
12-29-2006, 06:13 AM
I am 5'10" and weigh about 185lbs. I don't know why but the yfz just is not as comfortable for me as the 450r. The 700 is the most comfortable but it just does not have the handling of either of the 450's.. I don't believe that anyone would be making a mistake with either of these three bikes. They are all good machines.

Xater
12-29-2006, 10:05 AM
im 5'7" 170 lbs so i might have the same problem as you but, im sure a set of bars and shocks could make it better. it cant be as bad as my blaster where my hole body hurts after a day of riding :ermm:

jatizasy
12-29-2006, 10:34 AM
I can ride my 450r all day without hurting my back or butt. If I have not rode in a while my thumb will get sore. Other than that I am fine. Also if you go with a Honda kick start the recoil is pretty tough. I know of two or three guys with some pretty bad cuts and bruises on their leg from the recoil on the 450r. Of course it is all user error that causes this. I like the electric start even if I do have to end up putting a one way in now and then..
Remember both of the 450s have stiff suspension.. This is what I like about them. You can feel the ground as you roll over it.

I really hope you have the chance to ride before you buy.. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it...

Xater
12-29-2006, 11:32 AM
mabie your sholders hurt because the yfz pulled harder ;) j/k anyway i dont know anyone who has a 450 so im just going to have to get used to it. like i said nothing and be worse than riding my stock suspention blaster all day.

katch26
12-29-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
ya, but they have soooo much bump steer.

A pred with the pro steering has far less bumpsteer than other quads, HOWEVER it is another part that wears and is expensive to replace when it does get sloppy, should have plenty of years before that happens though.

ok I read the whole thread and would still be safe in saying a Pred is a great trail quad. Of the ones you listed though I would have to say the raptor. Reverse is nice if youre looking for a fast trail quad. Depending on your size I would almost rule the yfz out all together. I felt the same way as that guy who thought he was strapped into a death machine. Very peppy engine but when I got off my hand hurt (stiff throttle), hips and knees hurt (low slung)............def not for me

NC_700R
01-04-2007, 10:30 AM
RAPTOR 700r, you couldn't pay me to ride nothing else. :D

krt400ex
01-04-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by katch26
A pred with the pro steering has far less bumpsteer than other quads, HOWEVER it is another part that wears and is expensive to replace when it does get sloppy, should have plenty of years before that happens though.

ok I read the whole thread and would still be safe in saying a Pred is a great trail quad. Of the ones you listed though I would have to say the raptor. Reverse is nice if youre looking for a fast trail quad. Depending on your size I would almost rule the yfz out all together. I felt the same way as that guy who thought he was strapped into a death machine. Very peppy engine but when I got off my hand hurt (stiff throttle), hips and knees hurt (low slung)............def not for me

polaris sucks...not to offend anyone....but they do

Tater049
01-05-2007, 05:51 PM
i disagree, i think polaris' are hot, ive ridden a couple. The pro irs is sick but it ways so much. But, anyway I would definetly say the YFZ, because it was reverse. The 450r doesn't, but the raptor does also. So, this is a toos up between the yfz and raptor. Personally, i would go with the YFZ, because its got the power and I own one would so I know that the **** is sick.

450rJam
01-05-2007, 06:21 PM
B.S.

yfz with reverse?

I think thats what you where trying to say (hard to make sense)

good luck with the fertilizer factory tator

Tater049
01-05-2007, 07:22 PM
what is so wierd about a yfz with a reverse gear

krt400ex
01-10-2007, 03:26 PM
yfz's don't have reverse, and they r bread for racing, not trails. personally, i think that the new kfx with reverse is a waste. it is not needed on a 450 race bike....not even for the gncc

kick
01-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Out of those 3, the Raptor.

It's the most well balanced for that type of situation. The others are practically full on race quads. Don't get me wrong, they're capable... But the Raptor would be best all around out of those 3 for trail work.

katch26
01-10-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
personally, i think that the new kfx with reverse is a waste. it is not needed on a 450 race bike....not even for the gncc

then you dont watch them (the gncc) theres always a wreck and it take about 5 minutes to untangle them, or rock back and forth enough to clear room to take off. If a 450 came with reverse and theres no weight added do you honestly think people wouldnt have it?, people that say you dont need it dont have it

krt400ex
01-11-2007, 09:30 AM
actually, i do have it...i got a 300ex and the updated 400ex(with reverse). i just don't think that is it needed for a race bike...nor for the 400ex. it is nice ot have, but not necessary...and think, if u have the same weight as the 450's without reverse, then u could be as much as 10lbs lighter without it