PDA

View Full Version : FMF SST vs Fatty Pipe for 250r

darren250r
09-28-2006, 07:19 PM
I hope this topic hasn't already been addressed, but I'm having trouble searching for info on these two pipes since "sst" and "fmf" are both below the 4 letter minimum for searches. My girlfriend just got a stock 250r and we ride almost exclusively in the dunes. Has anyone had experiences with the sst pipe and fatty? My buddy has the sst's on his Banshee and loves them, but I'm hoping a 250r owner might have some input. My other buddy has the fatty on his 250r and loves the smoothness of the powerband. From what I understand the sst pipe has more top end perfomance than the fatty, is that right? Any info on sst performance would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Darren

2StrokeGod
09-28-2006, 07:21 PM
Ive got a fatty gold series in good condition 100.00 plus shipping let me know if your interested.

wilkin250r
09-28-2006, 10:21 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever researched the difference. But I can give you my own experience.

My girlfriend loves the hit. She loves the powerband, and she loves to scream to the top as fast as she can. She doesn't care about smoothness of the powerband, she doesn't care about low-end performance, EXPECIALLY at the dunes.

If the SST is supposed to have more top end, that might be your best choice, if your girlfriend is anything like mine. She doesn't rail through the corners, she doesn't carve the bowls, she doesn't power through the whoops. All she wants to do is feel that hit, and wind it out.

Aughtx
09-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
You know, I don't think I've ever researched the difference. But I can give you my own experience.

My girlfriend loves the hit. She loves the powerband, and she loves to scream to the top as fast as she can. She doesn't care about smoothness of the powerband, she doesn't care about low-end performance, EXPECIALLY at the dunes.

If the SST is supposed to have more top end, that might be your best choice, if your girlfriend is anything like mine. She doesn't rail through the corners, she doesn't carve the bowls, she doesn't power through the whoops. All she wants to do is feel that hit, and wind it out.

Are you talking about the SST Pipe or the wilkin250r Pipe?

darren250r
09-28-2006, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r

I'm not quite sure what pipe you are refering to, but I'm hoping to find someone who has used a SST pipe on a 250r to see what they thought of it.

Darren

Aceman
09-29-2006, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Aughtx
Are you talking about the SST Pipe or the wilkin250r Pipe?

lmao...:eek: :blah:

09-29-2006, 09:56 AM
i got a chrome LRD adjustable pipe...let me know thru a PM if your interested...

darren250r
09-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Thanks for all the sales pitches, but I'm really just interested in finding someone who has used a SST pipe on a 250r.

Darren

Scott270R
09-29-2006, 05:45 PM
Darren,

Yes, I own both the old Fatty (H-49) and the newer SST pipe. The SST pulls a little harder in the Midrange and is quicker in a drag race. The H-49 is smoother though and revs out a little farther. If I were trailing get the SST, its better in almost any catagory, unless you get a big bore then you will have overheating issues with this pipe. With a big bore I really like the CT National midrange for play and the ESR TRX5 centermount for racing.

pimpt250r
09-30-2006, 01:19 PM
how about this save your money
FMF pipes are a lousy fit,the powerband is sloppy,
if you want a good pipe go with a Paul Turner or an ESR
I do alot of woods riding and my type6 PT with a fatboy is a way better choice than any FMF pipe on the market
go with the Paul Turner rev pipe they have machined flanges and are made to fit ,mines been on for 2 yrs no dings had an fmf pipe when i bought it loaded with dings
go with the Paul turner ,ESR, or even a CT
but no fmf garbage
FMF will only make your bike worth less

joedirt
09-30-2006, 04:28 PM
When I use to race a R I liked the SST over the Fatty. I thought the SST had a little more hit. Not much more

darren250r
10-02-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the input! Keep it comin if anyone else has used a SST pipe on their 250r.

Darren

iamjasyn
10-02-2006, 12:20 PM
Darren,
A pipe by itself is not necessarily going to determine how your bike runs. Pipes are supposed to be matched to the porting your cylinder has and THAT is how you determine what pipe to buy.

A better question for you to ask might be, "what pipe gives me good midrange and top end for a stock 250R cylinder?"

I run an ESR TRX5 pipe which favors mid range ported cylinders. Most people have some sort of specialized porting going on. A lot of people like that pipe, but I personally don't know what it would do to your particular ride because my cylinder also, is not stock.

Scott270R
10-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Good Point,

For a stock engine I really liked the CT National Midrange with the thinner ATC250R head gasket. You re-jet and this is a bulletproof engine that has some punch to it too. It has great bottom-mid and will last a very long time.

darren250r
10-02-2006, 01:52 PM
I know these motors inside and out, and am aware that porting will have the greatest effect on power characteristics. Since my girlfriend's bike is all stock I wanted to find out how people with other basically stock 250r's liked the SST performance.

Thanks,

Darren

Scott270r-

I was under the impression that the thinner head gasket that was commonly used to bump up compression was a CR gasket. Is the ATC gasket thin too? I thought the ATC and TRX gaskets were the same.

Darren

Scott270R
11-06-2006, 08:06 PM
Darren250R,

Sorry to be responding back so late, I don't get on this site very often. The ATC gasket is a little thinner and will bump it up a little, but not so much that you need to run any race gas. If you want my late 80's engine setup, run a '89 CR250R gasket(even thinner) and 2 base gaskets (with some sealant so you won't leak air) and a CT national pipe. The 2 base gaskets will give you some more port timing and this helps it pull out a little further. This setup is really reliable too and will give you more power everywhere over stock. Plus its cheaper than a port job if money is a little tight too.