PDA

View Full Version : 250x fires but no start

Honda69
09-28-2006, 06:35 PM
alright i just got my 1992 250x back from the shop they rebuilt the motor, piston, cam, valves... and the hole 9 yards, they had it running and drove it around and the next day they said they couldn't get it to start again. I got the 4 wheeler back cuz they said they didn't wanna work on it anymore and they rebuilt the motor for free cuz i didn't givem a penny for the work. i have check the spark, (blue spark) i checked the carb and its getin gas. I also tryed puting gas down the plug hole and it didn't even start for a second, it fired but nothing else. help?!?:confused:

wilkin250r
09-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Ok, I don't mean to be a jerk or anything, but you need to use English. I'm willing to help you, but you have to make it easy for me to understand. If I'm going to take the time to help, YOU have to take the time to type it out properly.

Let me see if I have this straight. You sent it to a shop, they rebuilt it. They said they had it running once, but couldn't get it running again. Now you have it back, and you can't get it to run.

First off, let's assume they put it together properly. Let's assume the valves are opening and closing properly. With that assumption, there are only a few things needed to check.

Compression. It won't run without good compression. Take out the plug, and have a friend kick it over (not too fast but not too slow) while you try to plug the spark plug hole with your finger. If you can't even come close to holding back the air pressure in the cylinder, then you have good compression. Just to make sure you don't blow the CDI, set the kill switch to "off" so you don't attempt to spark without a properly grounded plug. Or, if you have a compression tester, that would be even better.

Spark. You said you already checked that, and it's good.

Fuel. First, check compression. If compression is good, then put everything together (with a new spark plug), and take off your air filter. Spray a small shot of starting fluid (about a half-second burst) or carburetor cleaning into your air intake. Hold the throttle about 1/2, and kick it over. If it starts and runs for a second, then dies, then somehow you're not getting fuel. If it doesn't start at all, you have a bad spark, or bad compression, or incorrect valve timing.

Compression, spark, fuel, and air. It's got to be one of those, it's that simple. Once we find out which one it's missing, THEN we can figure out how to fix it.

2muchquad
09-29-2006, 06:17 AM
It probably jumped time if it was even in time in the first place.Chances are the "shop' didnt time the cam correctly and couldnt figure it out but they told you that they had it running once.Was this a honda shop or a buddys garage?I bet its your timing or a sheared flywheel key,i have seen that happen when the flywheel wasnt put on completely such as with a socket and not a impact wrench.;) The 250x is pretty simple so it shouldnt be too hard to identify the culprit UNLESS its electrical which i doubt.

Honda69
09-29-2006, 09:45 AM
I did pull the plug and put my my thumb over the hole while my brother kicked it over... has excellant compression. ok i did also shoot gas down the carb, don't get me wrong but wouldn't it start for a second or 2 if i did that? for previous expeceriances it would start for a second or two. there another thing i had heard about and that is Intermidiate (SP) spark. could that possibley be it cuz i does fire on every 3 - 4 kicks. but absoulty nothing on other wise. i dunno know i am shooting in the dark on this one.

2muchquad
09-29-2006, 11:59 AM
Timing;)

wilkin250r
09-29-2006, 12:01 PM
It could possibly be a bad CDI, causing it to spark half the time or less. But the bad news is that there is no way to "test" the CDI. You can't just hook a meter up to it. A new CDI will cost about $90 or so, and I would definitely reccommend a new one, I wouldn't trust a used one.

Honda69
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
alright, and how do i do that... or let me refrase that what tools do i need and how do i know if i got it timed, or is it a trial and error type deal

wilkin250r
09-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Get a service manual. Not an owners manual, that only tells you how to turn the gas on and where the brake is. You want a SERVICE manual, also called a repair manual. It will tell you how to take apart everything on your quad.

The ignition timing is non-adjustable. If you want verification, you can pull the stator-side cover off. If the flywheel key is in place, then you have the proper ignition timing.

Valve timing would require you to remove the head cover and look at the timing marks on the camshaft. If the timing marks align with the head at TDC, then your valve timing is correct.

I'm not going to type the entire procedure here for you, because the repair manual says it better, with diagrams and pictures. It should be less than $20, but that's probably your FIRST step. Get a repair manual.

DieselBoy
09-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Ohhhhh boy. your in the same boat I was in a couple weeks ago. If the dealer gives up on it like i did it's a friggin mystery and be prepared to spend a couple bucks. GOD i'm glad that's over with.

09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
take your valve cover off so you can see the cam and line up the cam sprocket lines with the top of the head.

then take the flywheel inspection cap off and see if you can see the timing line on the flywheel.

if not turn the flywheel untill you can see the line and unscrew your cam chain tensener(SP) and take your cam chain off the cam sprocket.

then line the cam sprocket lines with the head and put chain back on.

2muchquad
09-29-2006, 02:24 PM
take your valve cover off so you can see the cam and line up the cam sprocket lines witch the top of the head.

Wtf? you know how many "lines" or markings there are on the flywheel?

the repair manual says it better, with diagrams and pictures. It should be less than $20, but that's probably your FIRST step ;)

Honda69
09-29-2006, 02:53 PM
i checked the timing now and it is perfect.. i am tempeted to get a gallon of gas and burn it to the ground. :mad: idk what it could possibley be. any ideas

DieselBoy
09-29-2006, 03:05 PM
i coulda told ya it wasn't the timing. it is electrical.

2muchquad
09-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Well since i dont have the bike in front of me,my guess is the cdi and stator are fine.i think its something else but not electrical.:rolleyes:

09-29-2006, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Wtf? you know how many "lines" or markings there are on the flywheel?

;)

there is a T for "timing" on the flywheel

and there are 3 lines on the cam sprocket

i know what im talking about

09-29-2006, 09:15 PM
yea me too

2muchquad
09-30-2006, 11:17 AM
i know what im talking about

Im not so sure.What about the btdc markings on the flywheel?
:blah:

Honda69
09-30-2006, 01:11 PM
ok now i am really confussed, cuz the cdi box isn't even on the wheeler?!?! i just looked in the box of "parts" they gave back to me and its in the box!! supposably they said they had it runnig is that even possible. and how does a guy hook that up?

09-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
Im not so sure.What about the btdc markings on the flywheel?
:blah:

all you need is the T line to get it in time

ilpadrino113
09-30-2006, 04:46 PM
they definitely didn't have it running if the CDI box wasn't in it.... I'd call em on it but u said u disn't pay em anyhting so just hook it up and go from there