PDA

View Full Version : yfz shocks on an R???

blubyyou
09-28-2006, 06:28 PM
I tried to reseach this without much luck. Will yamaha's yfz front shocks work on a 250r with +3 arm? My friend ground down the eye of the shock on the top and put them on his 400ex...it looked as if it lowered the front a little. He swears up and down it handles much better and lands much softer for mx racing. I know it's not ideal to make them fit and put them on but....if I had a cheap set, would it be worth it. I just don't want to stress the ball joints and stuff and make the quad unsafe to ride/mx!!! Right now I have 400ex front shocks to get me by this year but I just wanted to make a cheap upgrade and honda's 450r shocks from what I read make it sit too tall and sucks the arms in too much. Any help would be appreciated. Please don't bust me up too bad ...I was just asking for an oppinion on the subject. I am not to cheap to buy a set of Elka's, which I plan to do, but I was going to wait until this spring to get them. Just wanted to upgrade for the time being. Thanks.

blubyyou
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
surely someone has some opinion on this? I'll just be patient and wait.......thanks

elbine69
09-29-2006, 07:32 AM
yfz shocks are too short. there like 14 inches or something close to that. If you want a cheap upgrade go with the 450r shocks. They do make the front end sit higher if the shocks are brand new but once there broken in they sit no higher than other shocks. I have them with my +3's and they work great.

Gregjy
10-08-2006, 11:38 AM
I have 06 yami shocks on my r and they are great. They did lower the front about an inch but that is not a bad thing. They work great for me. I trail and dune ride and love to catch air!!!! Major upgrade for me....:D

Antony250R
10-08-2006, 11:46 AM
Did you have to grind the top mount? The yamaha shocks are wider on the top.

crazedape
10-08-2006, 06:34 PM
Buy something besides Elka's. I was talking to my quad builder and he showed me the internals of the Elka's and they are crap. The O-Rings like to roll out of the niche they are put in and you lose compression. For the money those cost I figured you would get something better but you don't.