PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha banshee

mac450
09-28-2006, 04:46 PM
ok well I was reading the paper today, came across a yamaha banshee. Its a 1993 with a few mods done to it I went and looked at it and rode it. It runs good. The people are asking around 2500 or obo. So I was thinkin about offering them 2200 or so for it since its a 93. But imo its well worth it but im not a yamaha guy so maybe some of you who have had experiences with banshee can help me out, and tell me if you think thats a decent price. Thanks

Ruby Soho
09-28-2006, 04:49 PM
what mods does it have on it?

2200 seems right to me

mac450
09-28-2006, 04:54 PM
fmf fatty pipes/fmf silencers. nerf bars, ac bumper, brand new tires on back. Tag bars, K and N filter, boost bottle. The guy didnt ride it much he was a older guy said his grandson rode it a few times but was scared of it, So hes selling it to buy him a car. He was kinda sayin it had motor work done to it but didnt say what was done to the motor.

underpowered
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
not sure where you are at, but 2500 is high for that year. in my area, you can ick up a 1999-2000 for about that with similar mods. i would pay $2000 max for it.

Scott-300ex
09-28-2006, 05:26 PM
Yeh, thats the highest I'd pay is 2500

I'm not a big fan of banshee's, except for they are a 2-stroke, thats about all I like about them.

Mainly cuz everyone I know that has them, they think they're the fastest thing in town. I ain't sayin they're slow but people around here that ride them got big heads.

But if you like it a lot, get it. I would have payed 2500 more than wut I bought my 250r for because I love it so much.

mac450
09-28-2006, 05:35 PM
well nada sayin they only worth about 1300 and other people is saying about 1500. imo its in pretty decent shape, except for the choke doesnt stay out u gotta hold it out but the fenders are in good shape on the back and the fronts are cut. IDK its hard decesion if they would take like 1700 or so id probably buy it. IDK, guess ill wait on some more replys.

09-28-2006, 06:29 PM
it really depends on how good of shape it is in...some 87 absnhees are worth more thne 03's IMO i would want a straight frame, low hours banshee that has an unmolested motor and frame before some punk teenager that never cleans the air filter, or does any basic maintence...if you take care of a quad, itll take cae of you...all the quads ono the market will go a long time if people just did basic check ups on them...look for cracks in the frame, see if the cases have been welded anywhere...how do the tires look?? grips is another good way to tell if something has been ridden alot or not....

mac450
09-28-2006, 06:37 PM
It has brand new back tires, The grips are pretty much brand new on it also. Guy said hes had it for his grandson for about 3 years, but it really doesnt look like its been rode much and he also said it hasnt been rode much.

700bRad
09-28-2006, 06:58 PM
I can buy a banshee in a town I live by for $1,800 it is a 1998 and has a fresh top end, also comes with 2 sets of platic and 2 sets of tires. I might buy it, and make it a project.

mac450
09-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah im thinkin about maybe offerin him a lil less then 2200 and go from there. All it basically needs it a good cleanin and tlc, and another thing are they suppose to be very hard to kick over/start. sorry not that familiar with banshees.

LTZ400rider
09-28-2006, 09:58 PM
easiest 2 stroke to start. post some pics if u can

Iliketogofast
09-29-2006, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by underpowered
not sure where you are at, but 2500 is high for that year. in my area, you can ick up a 1999-2000 for about that with similar mods. i would pay $2000 max for it.

I don't think you should really go by year on a quad like a Banshee - more by cosmetic condition, time of rebuild, bore, ect..

Just so long as you don't get one of the pre-90's models with the J-Arms, year doesn't matter because they are all the same. After they ditched the J-Arms, all of the upgrades were cosmetic, except for maybe a brake change in 2004-05 (I can't remember).

Also keep in mind that a top end rebuild on a 2 stroke is cheap and easy, coming in at around 150 bucks or so for rings, oversized piston, and bore.

Scott-300ex
09-29-2006, 02:02 PM
Talk to mxjunkie

Dinner
09-29-2006, 02:20 PM
That isnt a too bad of price. Pipes, Nerfs, etc add up a few pennies, and those are good enough pipes to have for now over stock. Banshee's are very easy to kickstart, and as long as you have them jetted right, you are looking at 1-3 kicks cold, 1 kick warm. Mine will start 2 kicks cold and 1 kick warm. As long as you know how to take care of them they will last a good while. Even if its an 89 or lower, the j-arms arnt that big of a deal if you arn't going to add width in the close future, and you could always get the A-arm conversion. I have an 87, and have nothing wrong with it.

mac450
09-30-2006, 12:16 AM
Yeah im going tomorrow with my brother to have him look at it. If he says its decent price/condition im probably going to buy it and make it a project quad.

250r4life
09-30-2006, 12:37 AM

man- im not sure where ya'll are living, but i know the market pretty well here in AZ, and man quads bring so much more dough here than there.. if it was in good condition here in my part of town, for 2500 it'd be gone pretty dang quick.. and for 2k i'd go buy it in a second...

i cant beleive the deals i hear you guys getting in other parts of the country- they give quads away!!!

250r4life
09-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by mac450
well nada sayin they only worth about 1300 and other people is saying about 1500. imo its in pretty decent shape, except for the choke doesnt stay out u gotta hold it out but the fenders are in good shape on the back and the fronts are cut. IDK its hard decesion if they would take like 1700 or so id probably buy it. IDK, guess ill wait on some more replys.

1300, 1500...? if this thing is a nice bike and not beat to crap it is worth more than that all day long...

250r4life
09-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Honda86
it really depends on how good of shape it is in...some 87 absnhees are worth more thne 03's IMO i would want a straight frame, low hours banshee that has an unmolested motor and frame before some punk teenager that never cleans the air filter, or does any basic maintence...if you take care of a quad, itll take cae of you...all the quads ono the market will go a long time if people just did basic check ups on them...look for cracks in the frame, see if the cases have been welded anywhere...how do the tires look?? grips is another good way to tell if something has been ridden alot or not....

exactly... i had a pretty nice '91 a couple years back, and it was a screamin' deamon!!! i had it for over a year, i rode it between 2 and 3 times a week on average, and the only thing i ever had to replace was the chain... i took real good care of it, as did the previous owner... it was a great bike!!!

250r4life
09-30-2006, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Honda86
grips is another good way to tell if something has been ridden alot or not....

it doesnt take too long to go through a set of grips... its easy to put new ones on... and if i were to go buy a brand new bike, one of the 1st things i would do it junk the stockers and throw some oury's on there... kinda hard to judge by grips, unless for some reason you know when the current grips were put on... for instance, asking him if he was the one that put the grips on or...?

250r4life
09-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by LTZ400rider
easiest 2 stroke to start. post some pics if u can

easiest to kick over... not neccessarily easiest to start... banshees, especially modded, can be very tempermental... luckily when i had my 91 i could get it started every time within a kick or so, and it was great when i had it hot, cuz i could kick it over and start it without standing up...

i still remember being at the drags though one day, and dude had this tricked out banshee that was all black and all chromed out, and had some serious cash into it... dude was sitting there watching for a bit, then mounted up and i was like cool- he is gunna drag, lets see what he has... ha ha- dude was sitting there kicking it over for literally over 15 minutes and couldnt ever get it started... we left before he got it running...

so it just depends... go over and tell them not to start it before you get there, and if it starts easy cold, if you maintain it it should continue to be easy to start...

ps- they dont like to start when low on gas- make sure the tank has a lot...

mac450
09-30-2006, 01:38 AM
Yea when I went over there the first time it was in a barn covered with a tarp and a couple tires were a little low like it has sat for a while. It had about 1/4 thank of gas it prolly took about id say after thinking about it maybe 15 kicks to start it. It was also cold that day and defintaly hasnt been rode for a few months if not longer. Well when I go look at it tomorrow again to make final deceision, find out how easy it will be to start since I started it two days ago.

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 09:58 AM

my friend bro sold an '89 a yr ago for $1900 and it had similer mods. the banshees are legends and that is why they hold their value. the price sounds right to me

09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
its a 2 stroke guys, if it has spark, gas, and compression it will run....all 2 strokes are simple to start (untill you get into the big triples and such)

every single 2 strokes ive ever owned starts up so easy, i dont know how the 4 stroke guys start their quads and bikes....the compression is so high! i can stand ont he kick starter and it wont budge! I guess there is some kind of trick but i havnt figured it out...

all my 250rs, blasters, LTs, banshees, Crs, Rms, Kxs, EXT's...all the 2 strokes r simple to start

Mxjunkie
09-30-2006, 03:28 PM
if you can get me some detailed pictures if possible I can help you determine how much it's worth.. It sound's like they are asking a fair price.. 2,000-2,300 sounds fair if it's in good condintion..

Things to look for- Check the intake boot's since it has a boost bottle, over time in some case's the boost bottle will vibrate enough to rip the intake boots, happened to mine 3 times :mad:

Banshee's are VERY easy to start once tuned but if they sit, it can take a few kick's to get it started so dont worry to much about it taking 15 kicks..

Banshee's are hard to put a price on because most are dune quad's so even if it may be a 1993 it may be in better condintion then a 99 so in many people's eyes the 93 is worth more then the 99... and since Yamaha didn't make any drastic changes to the Banshee it make's it a little harder because your basically buying the same thing no matter what year the banshee may be.

Another downfall to the average Joe, everyone basically know's what a banshee is, even if they haven't touched foot on a quad they know the banshee.. So a lot of people try and reep the benefits of that and jack the prices up on a beat to hell Banshee and leaving some average Joe thinking " it's a banshee! " so they pay what ever people want for it..

MotoX3
09-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Hey, where do you ride at and what do you ride?I'm in Fairfield...wheres this Banshee at?(dont worry I dont want to buy it, just curious)

mac450
09-30-2006, 08:32 PM
hey, I ride all over the place. Alot of places to ride out in the country, got my own track outback my house, but check your PM's.

4punksdad
09-30-2006, 09:15 PM
I just got this 2004 LE Banshee for 3k. Came with the stock tires which still have sidewall tits. Low hrs.