PDA

View Full Version : Pappy is not a stoner

Pappy
09-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Besides being torn between 3 different jobs, the old lady insists that I get her some stone to go around the foundation of the house. I am no carpenter, I aint no handy man, and I sure as hell aint no stone measurement expert guy.

I think she has like 3 large areas that she wants to add stone to but I have no friggon idea how to figure this all out. They sell it by the yard, but I do not know if a yard of stone is the same as a yard of mulch or concrete?

One of you knuckleheads that does this crap for a living please chime in and help me out before I call a concrete truck and have them pave the yard:chinese:

many thanks:D

Warnerade
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
just pave the yard and make your son a cement starting gate:o

FreekShow
09-28-2006, 04:52 PM
Ill cement your lawn if you let me move in and you buy me a nice YFZ. I swear I'll help out with the PC business. :devil:

Ghost-Rider
09-28-2006, 04:56 PM
My dad would know since we allways have to get fresh crushed limestone delivered for our easment. i would think it comes in cubic yards or whatever and would be yard long and a yard wide right?

JOEX
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm no expert but a yard is 27 cubic feet no matter what's being measured.

List the total demensions, length, width and depth of all areas then we can figure it out...

Pappy
09-28-2006, 04:58 PM
Well, it took 4 yards of mulch to do the same area, so I figured atleast 4 yards for the stone. The lady on the phone couldnt help my wife out with verifying it. I dont mind having some extra, but I would hate to come up short

Pappy
09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
approximate sizes...

1 is 4 feet by 25 feet

1 is 4 feet by 15 feet

and the last area is sort of odd shaped but 8 feet by 15 feet

killed300ex
09-28-2006, 05:00 PM
One yard of stone is 27 cubic feet same as a yard of everything else. Got any dimensions of the places you are doing? You can easily calculate the amount needed. Just break it down into rectangles then just length x width x depth. Hope that helps
Evan

JOEX
09-28-2006, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
approximate sizes...

1 is 4 feet by 25 feet

1 is 4 feet by 15 feet

and the last area is sort of odd shaped but 8 feet by 15 feet
How deep?

killed300ex
09-28-2006, 05:02 PM
10.37 yards at 1 foot deep Probably only need 6 inchs so just cut that in half.
Evan

Pappy
09-28-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
How deep?

Honestly I dont know. It is bordered by stones from our creek so a guess would 3 inches?

EX lvr
09-28-2006, 05:04 PM
yep a yard of stone is the same as mulch or concrete. yard of stone = 3 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot "box" full of stone. measure up the area of where u want to put the stone figure out how deep you want it , then use them math skills ya learned in school and u will know how much stone u need. its always good to get a little extra (if u need 6.5 yards get 7) since its easier to get more and make it a little thicker than to run out. if you dont want weed(s) to grow through, some landscape fabric would be a good idea. also landscape timbers or that plastic landscape border(sp?) stuff helps if you dont want your stone getting in your yard. speaking of which you will also need to dig up any sod that would be under the stone. and if you lived close i would do it for you:D

JOEX
09-28-2006, 05:04 PM
2.6 yards @ 3" deep
3.45 yards @ 4" deep

If my math is correct:p

AtvMxRider
09-28-2006, 05:06 PM
but I would hate to come up short

Been caught before huh;)

Pappy
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Been caught before huh;)

story of my life:p

AtvMxRider
09-28-2006, 05:08 PM
story of my life:p

Same here:ermm:

JOEX
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Been caught before huh;)
:eek:

I'd get the next yard up like EX lvr. Depending on the type of rock it may settle some.

400exrider707
09-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by EX lvr
yep a yard of stone is the same as mulch or concrete. yard of stone = 3 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot "box" full of stone. measure up the area of where u want to put the stone figure out how deep you want it , then use them math skills ya learned in school and u will know how much stone u need. its always good to get a little extra (if u need 6.5 yards get 7) since its easier to get more and make it a little thicker than to run out. if you dont want weed(s) to grow through, some landscape fabric would be a good idea. also landscape timbers or that plastic landscape border(sp?) stuff helps if you dont want your stone getting in your yard. speaking of which you will also need to dig up any sod that would be under the stone. and if you lived close i would do it for you:D

I worked for a small but very good landscaping company over the summer who also did garden maintenance. We NEVER use landscape fabric, and when we found it we ripped it out. It doesn't work, the weeds grow on top of it and actually root right to it.

Weed the area fully before putting anything down, (or even just round up), then get some Preen from Home Depot or where ever, and lay it down like a carpet(not what the instructions say), then put your stone down. You will have little to NO weeds for years.

Scott-300ex
09-28-2006, 05:23 PM
I work at a garden nursery and run the skidsteer.

1 bucket of mulch/dirt/rock of the skidsteer covers 50 square feet 3" deep.

I can't believe it covers that much but thats wut the boss and them say. But now that I think about it, 50 sq. ft. isn't that much so I would say it does.

I just load em up with the bobcat. Send them in for the paper work so I'm not a measurer dude.

Now you get to have her spend hours on wut type of rock, the color and texture... And then when you get it you take it home and she says "Oh thats not how it looked in the picture, go take it back and get something else!"

:D Haha.

Quad18star
09-28-2006, 06:25 PM
One truck load of crushed stone will do you just perfectly ... and if you have any left over , just think , you'll have a huge pile of stone to throw at that neighbour you don't like . :D

gun32boarder
09-28-2006, 06:59 PM
hes going to have a lot left if he gets a "truckload", which would be a tandem, and all he needs is 5yrds

coolguy8769
09-28-2006, 07:52 PM
we have a 1/4 mile long driveway (crushed WHITE pepples) and then my mom has a side busniess of boarding horses, so we have a two riding "arenas" and damn we just call up the local quary (luck stone) and have em bring it by the truck loads, they know us by name:p

you should see the trucks line up on the dirt road we live on, its a friggin convo. at its hard enough to drive a car on let alone a dumptruck or when we get the arenas are done the 18 wheelers:eek2:

and if your wondering, we spend an avarge of 10g a year on the sh*t, but when you have old ladies who pay $900 a month to have their horses on our property it pays for itself

yamablaster24
09-28-2006, 08:05 PM
A yard is a yard is a yard. Our 2003 Chevy 3500 dump with boards on each side flush with front of dump bed holds a good 6-7 yards. I would get around 4 for you and lay preen or plastic down. 3" deep would be plenty. I too work at a landscaping company and i have been for 3 years.

Pappy
09-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I do thank ya'll. My dad taught me to weld, to shoot and to help people, he did not teach me how to landscape:p

gun32boarder
09-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by yamablaster24
A yard is a yard is a yard. Our 2003 Chevy 3500 dump with boards on each side flush with front of dump bed holds a good 6-7 yards. I would get around 4 for you and lay preen or plastic down. 3" deep would be plenty. I too work at a landscaping company and i have been for 3 years.

You better watch out with that much stone you'll get an overweight ticket.

Giz400ex
09-29-2006, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by gun32boarder
hes going to have a lot left if he gets a "truckload", which would be a tandem, and all he needs is 5yrds Oh Yeah, I would try a truck load which consist of 2-3 yards and then go from there. Stone can go a long way versus sand or topsoil. I would do a 2-3 yarder first. You really only need a couple of inches but make sure you put that weed blocker down first or rolls of plastic to block the weeds. Also, if you fertilize your lawn in the spring, make sure you don't any in the beds, you will start growing stuff there. Let us know how you make out?

TOPDAWG
09-29-2006, 07:05 AM
I can help you.

1. What is the square footage of the area you want to cover?

2. How deep do you want the stone?

Some people go 3 inches deep, some go 4ish.

Pappy
09-29-2006, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by TOPDAWG
I can help you.

1. What is the square footage of the area you want to cover?

2. How deep do you want the stone?

Some people go 3 inches deep, some go 4ish.

This information has already been posted.

TOPDAWG
09-29-2006, 07:21 AM
This information has already been posted.

Not all of it.

You have to cover 280 square feet.

Again...how deep do you want to go?

3.5 Yards will take you 4 " deep

4 Yards will be nice.

Yes I do use a forumla I got from one of my clients who is a landscaper.

Square footage x depth (in inches) devided by 12 devided by 27 :D

Hence:

280 x 4 = 1120
1120 / 12 = 93.3
93.3 / 27 = 3.46

So 3.46 yards on a truck would give you 4" deep stone in the area that you want to cover. Numbers above rounded of course.

That my friend, is right on the money.

:macho

Scott-300ex
09-29-2006, 02:09 PM
The chances that you will get an overwieght ticket are very unlikely. I've pulled way over the limit with an F-350 before, where the 460 has a hard time pullin it!

And a the quarry's where I go to around here, the people at the wieght scale let them semi's roll out with 110,000 lbs, and there isn't even a 3rd axle on the trailer. Now thats over wieght. I don't think cops care to much about that. Just don't go over a bridge with 35 tons when it says 20 ton limit!:eek:

vet_ltz
09-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Been caught before huh;)

Beat me to the punch.
Pappy you made that one to easy. LOL

As for the lime stone chips I get it by the ton.
I have heard if you have a certain types of plants or shrubs around you house that like acidic soil , they wont do well with the lime stone chips.

krt400ex
09-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Well, it took 4 yards of mulch to do the same area, so I figured atleast 4 yards for the stone. The lady on the phone couldnt help my wife out with verifying it. I dont mind having some extra, but I would hate to come up short

a yard is the same for all types of material. a ton is not because it is not measured by volume but by weight. if u know what a yd looks like then u will be able to expect about the same from any type of material bacause they measure that by volume. my dad does this stuff for a living so i should know

krt400ex
09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
Oh Yeah, I would try a truck load which consist of 2-3 yards and then go from there. Stone can go a long way versus sand or topsoil. I would do a 2-3 yarder first. You really only need a couple of inches but make sure you put that weed blocker down first or rolls of plastic to block the weeds. Also, if you fertilize your lawn in the spring, make sure you don't any in the beds, you will start growing stuff there. Let us know how you make out?

2-3 yds for a truckload:huh , sry, but that is way off. a mason dump will hold like 5 yd, a single axle will hold a good 8-9 yd, and a tandem will hold like 16 yd. just a ballpark, but that is about it.

MXracer16
09-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
2-3 yds for a truckload:huh , sry, but that is way off. a mason dump will hold like 5 yd, a single axle will hold a good 8-9 yd, and a tandem will hold like 16 yd. just a ballpark, but that is about it.

Good luck getting that much on a trailer with out the thing snapping in half. 1 yd. of stone probably weights about 2500 lbs.

Giz400ex
09-30-2006, 02:48 AM
2-3 yds for a truckload:huh , sry, but that is way off. a mason dump will hold like 5 yd, a single axle will hold a good 8-9 yd, and a tandem will hold like 16 yd. just a ballpark, but that is about it. Sorry but I'm pretty close!! No way in hell will a mason dump ( like a f350 or f450 ect...) will ever hold 5 yds of anything:huh :huh. Five yards would stack it over the roof. Also, 8-9 yards in a single axle heavy duty dump, your looking at 6 yards, MAX!!! Your doubles ect... yes there designed to hold 16 yds but your estimates on the others, you are asking for a ticket and problems.

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 07:03 AM
Sorry but I'm pretty close!! No way in hell will a mason dump ( like a f350 or f450 ect...) will ever hold 5 yds of anything:huh :huh. Five yards would stack it over the roof. Also, 8-9 yards in a single axle heavy duty dump, your looking at 6 yards, MAX!!! Your doubles ect... yes there designed to hold 16 yds but your estimates on the others, you are asking for a ticket and problems.

a ticket??? maybe, but ppl do that all the time. u just get higher boards to hold the xtra from going over the top. i was not talking about weight. i was talking about volume. a mason dump will not easily carry 5-6 yd of stone, but it can carry that much mulch. yds is all about volume, not weight. as for the single axle, unless u have a very shellow body, u can get 8-9 yds on there. my dad has put 10yds on his companies truch before. they have put 12 tons of topsoil on it too. they may not be rated that much, but thery can handle it.

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by MXracer16
Good luck getting that much on a trailer with out the thing snapping in half. 1 yd. of stone probably weights about 2500 lbs.

a trailer?!?!?! wtf r u talking about. a mason dump is not a trailer...:huh

redracing88
09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
now i maybe wrong but a yard of stone mulch ect.. is a full bucket on a full size tractor. cause when i pull up to the nursery i say 3 yards i get 3 scoops

Pappy
09-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by redracing88
now i maybe wrong but a yard of stone mulch ect.. is a full bucket on a full size tractor. cause when i pull up to the nursery i say 3 yards i get 3 scoops

That depends on the size of the bucket. On equipment used in construction you can order different size buckets for carrying 1, 2 3 or more yards of material.

I will order 6 yards. This will give me enough to do what i want with some to spare for other areas.

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 10:13 AM
That depends on the size of the bucket. On equipment used in construction you can order different size buckets for carrying 1, 2 3 or more yards of material.

I will order 6 yards. This will give me enough to do what i want with some to spare for other areas.

good choice, and ya the bucket thing is true. my dad used to pull up to a quarry to get a load of whatever in a sigle axle and he would order 8yds of material, and they would pull out this bigass loader that the called the T- Rex. it had like a ten yd bucket on the thing. 1 bucket and the truck would be filled.

MXracer16
09-30-2006, 10:59 AM
a trailer?!?!?! wtf r u talking about. a mason dump is not a trailer...:huh

Oh, nevermind, I misread that. I thought you were just talking about trailers. My bad.

Giz400ex
09-30-2006, 03:48 PM
a ticket??? maybe, but ppl do that all the time. u just get higher boards to hold the xtra from going over the top. i was not talking about weight. i was talking about volume. a mason dump will not easily carry 5-6 yd of stone, but it can carry that much mulch. yds is all about volume, not weight. as for the single axle, unless u have a very shellow body, u can get 8-9 yds on there. my dad has put 10yds on his companies truch before. they have put 12 tons of topsoil on it too. they may not be rated that much, but thery can handle it. What size boards does use and how many??? Damn, 8-9 yards is too much for single axle!! But thats why I'm asking about the boards.

krt400ex
10-01-2006, 06:28 AM
What size boards does use and how many??? Damn, 8-9 yards is too much for single axle!! But thats why I'm asking about the boards.

2 by 12's. they use one of those and a 2 by 6. so it is 18in. worth of boards. they don't always do that, but sometimes with mulch and stuff.

krt400ex
10-01-2006, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by MXracer16
Oh, nevermind, I misread that. I thought you were just talking about trailers. My bad.

no biggie

Scott-300ex
10-02-2006, 12:56 PM
good choice, and ya the bucket thing is true. my dad used to pull up to a quarry to get a load of whatever in a sigle axle and he would order 8yds of material, and they would pull out this bigass loader that the called the T- Rex. it had like a ten yd bucket on the thing. 1 bucket and the truck would be filled.

Hell man, at my quarry, 1 bucket of the highlift fills a tandam, full size 2 or 3 axle dump truck!:eek: