View Full Version : Herrmann A-arms?

stocktires
09-02-2002, 07:47 PM
Who has the Herrmann a-arms? I know Leo does. Do you like them? Are they heavy? Are they a good quality A-Arm? Do they make long-travel arms?
I dont like my sundahls, they make my R sit high (shock mounts are high up).

Mity Mo
09-02-2002, 07:53 PM
I went from Laegers to Herrmann and would do it again if I had to. herrmanns a-arms are an excellent quality made product. I would recommend them to anyone looking for chassis components. Mo;)

Glamis400ex
09-02-2002, 07:57 PM
I've got the Herrmann +2's. I love them. Excellent build quality, nice clean welds, super strong, huge ball joints, stainless steel tie rods.

I cant answer the other questions like long travel and all that...

But, they are worth every penny. When I was looking for a arms, I had a little money, but not enough to pay full retail. I found my Herrmann +2 on Ebay, and the guy had mounted them, and then taken them off right after, never even used....got them to my door for $340. I was extremely happy with what I bought for the money....so, I'd even buy them if I had to pay full price.

Glamis

Mity Mo
09-02-2002, 08:55 PM
My a-arms are the long travels. The real ones. Not the 16" type that some people believe are long travels. But the 19" shocks that are true long travel. I have the king pin setup which gives me the same amount of travel as a T-Pin setup.

Big - D Racing
09-02-2002, 09:30 PM
I have the +2" I am extremely happy with them. I think they are a lot stronger than lonestar racing arms. Plus Herrmann's are like $200 cheaper.

stocktires
09-02-2002, 09:41 PM
Are they heavy though? With all the extra chromoly rods and unique bends the a-arms look very heavy!
Mity mo, If ya dont mind me asking, how much did you give for the Long travels?
So I take it herrmann's custom service is pretty good?

thanx for the help

mrusk
09-02-2002, 10:16 PM
Herrmann aarms are A1 quality. I would say they are stronger than Laeger, LSR, House etc.

Buy some herrmanns. I bet he could hook u up with 19in aarms and 19in elkas for around 1500.

matt

WB400ex
09-15-2002, 01:06 PM
bump

Sick0
09-15-2002, 04:35 PM
I just bought the herrmann a-arms. The are very strong looking. Another plus that no one other offers is the will powdercoat the a-arms for any color you want. I got my in candy apply red and it looks sweet.

I tryed to see if he would give a deal on shocks but he sells them for retail.

Mxbubs
09-15-2002, 06:01 PM
Here is my Herrmann's +3 Long travel A-arms. They are BETTER than the Housers, and Roll Designs for the fact they DO NOT use a ball joint with a male stud that can and will bend or break on the top A-arm. They are equal to the walsh's in my book, but only at a fraction of the price. The DO EVERYTHING the outdated overpriced PROTRAX +3 T-Pin setup will do. If you take your shocks off, your A-arms will hang almost straight down......bind free. The protrax setup came out years ago, it took new spindles to make a bind free setup, and now compared to the cost to build that setup it is not near as efficient at a sperical bearing drop in bolt (Walsh, Herrmann) A-arm set up when you look at cost to build, and cost to customer, and they both do the same thing.

Live2Ride300
09-15-2002, 06:36 PM
beeeeeeeeeeeeauuuuuuuuuuttiffffullllllllllllllllll l:blah drool

xtrememxrider
09-16-2002, 11:08 AM
Where could i get me some of these? Whese the place you go to get the for 1500? DSo the come in complete chrome?

beerock
09-16-2002, 11:43 AM
http://www.herrmannracing.com/

xtrememxrider
09-16-2002, 01:33 PM
i really like their a-arms but how do you hook them to your spindles? All the others are shown with ball joints, the long travel one have a hole at the end hows that work?

Mity Mo
09-16-2002, 03:44 PM
A bearing goes in the hole and a post goes through it and through your spindle. Which gives it more free travel and less binding than a ball joint would.

Sick0
09-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Plus its stronger, and I bet lighter.

Mxbubs
09-16-2002, 06:20 PM
Dont tell Brad I told you all this, but he sold me all three elka shocks and my a-arms for 2100$

Oh yeah, did I mention mine was the first set he sold.:D

redrizza
09-17-2002, 07:03 AM
I have +2's on my 400. I'm very pleased and can guarantee you that they are stronger than leagers, lonestar and others. I am very dissapointed with the powdercoat. I don't pride my bike to be a pretty bike, that is for sure. I use it, don't neccessarilly abuse it, and race it, so it gets used heavily. But, the powdercoat is flat and half of it has chipped off. :(

ESR250R
09-17-2002, 05:39 PM
will herman chrome the top a arm? and are there a arms adjustable caster or camber (i forgot which it is) it makes the quad sit like / \. in the pics u guys have the wheels striaght.

Glamis400ex
09-17-2002, 05:52 PM
The Herrmann arms are camber and caster adjustable. Mine are about 5/8th inch in at the top.

Glamis

Pro400EXC
09-17-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by xtrememxrider
Where could i get me some of these? Whese the place you go to get the for 1500? DSo the come in complete chrome?

Complete Chrome a-arms would suck,cause chroming naything makes them weaker....

just my .05$

redrizza
09-18-2002, 06:16 AM
Camber is adjustable. Not easy to adjust, but it is. There is NOT adjustable castor on Herrman +2's. Not sure about the long travels and t-pin setups. I am also around -3deg. or about 5/8ths of an inch camber. The point of camber is to set the tire as flat as possible on the ground while crankin through a corner. That's why we have ours setup like they are. If you get the camber too extreem it reduces the stability and tracksion of the front end. Exteem camber might work well at a sand track where your riding ruts all day. Than the tire will hook up to the outside of the rut. Just my 2cents.

Check out this great article. (http://www.extremegarage.com/techtips/stechtip.htm) Scroll down almost half way to the section titled "Camber".

Mity Mo
09-18-2002, 02:52 PM
But with the gull wing effect on your a-arms you are not supposed to run any camber. They are designed so your tire is the exact degree on or off the ground. You dont want any in these cases. Mo

RoostinOna400ex
09-18-2002, 03:24 PM
Yea I have the herrmann +2 a-arms and I LOVE them!! I highly recommend them. The quality is the best. I have put mine through total sh*t and there is nothing wrong with them. If your lookin for any frame components check out brad at herrmannracing.com because the service is awesome and so is the price!!:cool:

RoostinOna400ex
09-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Yea I have the herrmann +2 a-arms and I LOVE them!! I highly recommend them. The quality is the best. I have put mine through total sh*t and there is nothing wrong with them. If your lookin for any frame components check out brad at herrmannracing.com because the service is awesome and so is the price!!:cool:

beerock
09-18-2002, 04:55 PM
brad wont chrome anything.....

he can pcoat them "almost chrome" i think....

stocktires
09-18-2002, 04:58 PM
almost chrome = nothing like chrome

But I'm wondering...Are the a-arms heavy? They look very heavy! Im in love with the a-arms, but a heavy a-arms = bad

xtrememxrider
09-18-2002, 06:11 PM
Does brad recomend anyone to do chrome? I have to at least have the tops chromed. Im in the process of polishing my engine, calipers and swing arm and im getting a chrome lsr stem aftermarket oil cooler and alum air box. I want it to shine. im getting white plastic, and powdercoating the frame white. I guess instead of all chrome a-arms i could get them white w/chrome tops. Im also gona get one of his swing arms so il like to get it chromed. Maby ill just switch all my plans and get black a-arms and a black swing arm. im still thinking on what to do

Mity Mo
09-18-2002, 07:26 PM
They arent any heavier than any other brand.Mo;)

Sick0
09-18-2002, 07:32 PM
thefirst thing i notice is there where a little hefty. but i think its nothing to worry about.

stocktires
09-18-2002, 08:25 PM
hefty, eeeee.
Not good. Heavier a-arms make make a slower reacting suspension.
But it'll be a difficult choice when I am ready to buy an LT front end

RoostinOna400ex
09-18-2002, 09:22 PM
I highly recommend the a-arms to anyone looking for a pair. The price, quality and especially there service is the best. I have a pair and have beat the sh*t out of them and hav had no problem with them at all!!

Mity Mo
09-18-2002, 09:22 PM
Where did you hear that? Have you ever tried to weigh a T-Pin Laeger front end versus any other frontend. The t-Pin is extremely heavy. But yet its the best front end available on the market. Of course they arent being made any more by Laeger. But heavy suspension doesnt mean anything but its just heavier. Thats what fine tuning of your shocks is for. Thats why they want your riding style weight and class you race in when you order shocks. The weight of the a-arm has no effect on the performance of suspension. Mo

RoostinOna400ex
09-18-2002, 09:23 PM
I highly recommend the a-arms to anyone looking for a pair. The price, quality and especially there service is the best. I have a pair and have beat the sh*t out of them and hav had no problem with them at all!! :cool: If your looing go to www.herrmannracing.com

stocktires
09-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Not trying to argue Mo, but its a fact, nothing I "heard"

09-19-2002, 05:45 PM
so above all... which a-arms does everyone recommend for mx racing?

RoostinOna400ex
09-19-2002, 09:10 PM
If you have the money I would get herrmann long travels if not just get herrmann standard +2 aarms

Bean
09-19-2002, 09:30 PM
i would recommend laeger or merrell extreme