PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a LONESTAR CARRIER

kaneman23
09-02-2002, 07:21 PM
I bought one last week and noticed on the instructions that it was shipped dry and I had to grease the carrier before installing. All I had was some regular valvoline grease, so I put what I could in it but nothing ever came out the sides. I also put some waterproof grease(blue) around the edges and on the inside. Did I use the wrong grease? Did I use enough grease? It's hard to tell how much grease I got into the carrier because it never pushed out the sides or anything.... The instruction also state that carrier must be greased every 50hrs. Is there an easier way of greasing it without removing the whole carrier from the swingarm?

Thanks,
Justin

HotRod2Fitty
09-02-2002, 07:49 PM
Hey i wondered the same thing when i got mine. I didnt know what kind of grease to use, so i used waterproof grease on it just to be on the safe side. But to regrease every 50 hrs, heck i dont even keep track of my hrs, anyways i just usually take the axle out and regrease after every summer. By the way when they say regrease every 50 hrs i think they say thats if u ride real hard all the time. Hope i helped ya out.

Matt

QuadRacer041
09-03-2002, 04:05 AM
i just used standard automotive grease too, i dont think it matters as long as it greased.

exriderdude
09-03-2002, 10:55 AM
nothing ever came out the sides of mine either:confused: i just pumped a whole bunch in there

kaneman23
09-03-2002, 03:20 PM
I don't feel so bad now.;) I was hesitant on using the regular grease at first but I guess it's fine. As long as there is grease its good.. Thanks.

oynot400
09-03-2002, 08:07 PM
There is a pretty good sized area in there for grease to fill up. It has to go around the center tube, and four bearings. So it should use quite a bit of grease. I take mine apart a couple times a year and grease it. I will probably replace the bearings sometime this fall. They have been in there for well over a year. :D I just wish it was greaseable with out taking the axle out. :(

honda400exrider
09-04-2002, 04:16 PM
does re-greasing it help performance wise? cause my bike is over 1.5 years old and i havent greased it:rolleyes: .

holeshot19
09-04-2002, 07:29 PM
do anybody have a bearing nunber for twin row bearings for those carriers. i hate to order the lone star bearing just wanted to know

tprender
09-04-2002, 08:32 PM
Go to the local auto parts store and say that you need the bearing that goes in the GM AC unit. There are 3 different brands thhe last time i bought some ($15-30). each. Make sure that you take off the cover on the inside of each bearing so that the grease will getto the bearing.

holeshot19
09-04-2002, 08:40 PM
do you mean the bearing that goes in the hub of the compressor and if so what compressor

tprender
09-05-2002, 06:29 AM
I took one of the old bearing in and that is what I told him and he gave me the correct ones. I don't have the number any more. Any good auto parts man will know what you are taking about. Somebody here mine give us the number. I moved last fall all all of the old used stuff got pitched.

09-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Has anyone drilled a hole in the housing to get at the grease fitting without removing it? I am seriously considering this, and then just putting a rubber plug in it. Any thoughts?

darth