PDA

View Full Version : elka rec shocks/no ressies

parts eeter
09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
I am debating on whether I should send my front 450r shox on my ex to Gt Thunder for rebuild revalve or just buy some elka recs.Which would perform better.Cost isnt a factor as the elkas will actually be cheaper once I sell my 450r fronts.Thanks.feedback is appreciated.I hope the elkas are the way to go cuz then I dont have any down time.I appreciate all who have helped me and especially zr pilot.Can somebody also tell me how to update my profile as I now have a GSXR 1000 OH YEEEAAAAHHHH.Sold the Prairie.

09-28-2006, 08:59 AM
The elkas will perform the same as any othe elka except it will not have all the adjustability.

rooster300ex
09-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Check these out.

http://www.worksperformance.com/html/atv.html

04TRX400EX
09-28-2006, 03:48 PM
I say go with the Elka's. I have them on my 400EX and they work really well. They are the same quality as all other Elka's but lack the adjustability. Adjustability is nice sometimes but is not necessary if you don't vary your terrain too much. I have mine set up for agressive trail riding, but started riding MX over the summer and I am considering doing a XC/desert race in November. Just make sure to get them built to your real specifications and be honest with what you are going to use them for. As for reservoirs, they are not totally necessary either. All they do is allow for more shock oil to be used, therefore reducing operating temperatures and reducing the chance of shock fade (loss of dampening ability). I never really experienced that on the stock shocks and have been fine so far with my Elka's.

krt400ex
09-28-2006, 04:55 PM
how much of an improvement did u see over stock?? 'cause i am thinkin abiout doing that too

400exstud
09-28-2006, 06:36 PM
I've got them an they work great. They are a touch stiff for me as I have them valved for a 150-175 pound person and I am 125 but they are 100% better than stock. I was amazed at how hot they really get (burning hot)!

SnowFlake
09-28-2006, 08:18 PM
I have the rec series elkas and i love em. I went through C&D to get mine and they were very helpfull

rooster300ex
09-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Elka's are a very high quality shock.

woodsman250r
09-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Don't waste your money on Elka's. GT Thunder will do a MUCH better job on your stock ones than Elka would. His rebuilds are about the same if not better than some aftermarket companies shocks. If you don't believe me than check out what his boy ran in GNCC's in 4 Stk. A, stock rebuilds. He also won the title this year if that says anything about their performance.

zrpilot
09-29-2006, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by woodsman250r
Don't waste your money on Elka's. GT Thunder will do a MUCH better job on your stock ones than Elka would. His rebuilds are about the same if not better than some aftermarket companies shocks. If you don't believe me than check out what his boy ran in GNCC's in 4 Stk. A, stock rebuilds. He also won the title this year if that says anything about their performance.

I was going to say the same thing. Woodsman250R and I share the same thoughts on this one!!! :D

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 07:15 AM
first things first:

u can not rebuild the stock front shock!!!

and i was panning on have gt thunder or hydrodynamics rebuild my rear with the gt thunder linkage

400eXr1d3rZ
09-30-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
first things first:

u can not rebuild the stock front shock!!!

and i was panning on have gt thunder or hydrodynamics rebuild my rear with the gt thunder linkage

He has 450r front shocks, you can rebuild them.

krt400ex
09-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 400eXr1d3rZ
He has 450r front shocks, you can rebuild them.

u r right, i forgot that part. my bad

04TRX400EX
10-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by krt400ex
how much of an improvement did u see over stock?? 'cause i am thinkin abiout doing that too

I noticed a big improvement over stock. I realize it more and more whenever I ride my dad's 400EX with stock suspension. The Elka's make the ride so much smoother, not to mention the fact the quad handles 10x better because it sits lower and the suspension reacts like it should. The most important thing is that you get them setup correctly. Be sure to be very honest with how you ride and how much weigh, etc. There are a lot of people that bag on Elka because the valving can sometimes be off. Colby at C&D Racing got mine for me and I have been very pleased. He also rebuilt my stock rear shock and it works great.

The only concern I ever had was when I rode my buddy's 416EX with fully adjustable Elka's. His were valved for a 220lb. rider (where mine are for 150lbs.) and his felt so much better than mine. In talking to Colby though I realized that the reason was how they were valved. My shocks are setup for trail/MX so they are stiffer to resist bottoming out on jumps. My buddy's shocks are valved for XC which are very very soft in comparison. I liked them on the MX track because the landings were smoother but they really aren't meant for that kind of riding.

BTW, in response to what 400exstud said about the shocks getting burning hot, I live in Arizona where it's 115 degrees and have never felt the shocks get that warm, even the night I was at the MX track when it was still 110 and I was riding pretty hard.

zrpilot
10-01-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX

BTW, in response to what 400exstud said about the shocks getting burning hot, I live in Arizona where it's 115 degrees and have never felt the shocks get that warm, even the night I was at the MX track when it was still 110 and I was riding pretty hard.

This seems to contradict ALL of my experiences. I have ridden in all but the winter temps, whenever I check front shock heat, they are very warm to the touch and near where the ressie enters the main body my shocks get HOT!

According to Laz at GT Thunder, he has seen front shock temps as high as 380 degrees.

1fst400
10-02-2006, 08:19 PM
I have had a set of elka rec series shocks on my quad before. Plain an simple, only buy them for REC riding, thats what their made for. IMO a stock shock rebuilt will perfor much better.

IMO elka recs on my 400ex rode about the same as a stock suspention 450R suspention wise. which btw is like 4 million times better than stock.

but If I was looking to buy cheep shocks again that worked well. I would buy what I have. I have seen them go a cupple times on ebay for 400-600$ (about 1000$ new) they are PEP 21 click shocks. They where way way way better than the elka rec shocks.

04TRX400EX
10-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by zrpilot
This seems to contradict ALL of my experiences. I have ridden in all but the winter temps, whenever I check front shock heat, they are very warm to the touch and near where the ressie enters the main body my shocks get HOT!

According to Laz at GT Thunder, he has seen front shock temps as high as 380 degrees.

Maybe I'm just lucky then, or perhaps I've never realized it. I know that reservoirs will help overheating though.