PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket Radiators...What do you think?

xsr_racing28c
09-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Alright, well next week, i'm sending my motor out to be built by DRG (chad502ex) and i'm thinking that while i'm putting some extra attention on building power, i should maybe focus a bit on keeping it cool, so i'm looking into upgrading to a larger radiator.

I guess i'm not quite sure what brand to go with, so any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys, Jay

Scro
09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I own a PWR oversized. I've never had any problems out of it and it mounted and fit just as well as stock. They get my vote.

lumi
09-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Scro
I own a PWR oversized. I've never had any problems out of it and it mounted and fit just as well as stock. They get my vote.

yea ims uses pwr for there yfz radiators, heard good stuff from them aswell.

-lumi

DirtDevilBT
09-28-2006, 10:42 PM
my cousin's pwr on his raptor is really nice, looking to get one for mine, but don't know if it's needed. The engine ice works well.

fandl450r
09-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
Alright, well next week, i'm sending my motor out to be built by DRG (chad502ex) and i'm thinking that while i'm putting some extra attention on building power, i should maybe focus a bit on keeping it cool, so i'm looking into upgrading to a larger radiator.

I guess i'm not quite sure what brand to go with, so any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys, Jay

Jay from what I have been told, an oversized radiator is not really necessary, and that the stock ones work just as well. Keep a good coolant in there, I use HP Honda Coolant, and keep the fins clean at all time, and you should have no problems. Kind of a waste of 350+ imo. Money can be better spent in other places.

xsr_racing28c
09-29-2006, 06:40 AM
alright sounds good, i'll take that in consideration.. I just bought some engine ice and honda coolant so i'm gonna try that out and see how it works.. I was just checking if you all thought it was necessary

~Jay

Chino886
09-29-2006, 06:44 AM
I just bought some coolant from my local stealership, they said that it cooled better than the Engine Ice, I think it was called Liquid Performance, it was cheaper then Engine Ice also.

Chino

GT Thunder sells his "special" blend of coolant, he did some testing with Engine Ice, Water Wetter and all the other brand name coolants and he found that his works the best.

DirtDevilBT
09-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Of COURSE it works better lmao.

Just get one:
Water Wetter
Liquid Performance:confused:
GT Thunder "Special Blend"
Engine Ice

Then figure out if you need a radiator. If you do, drain and reuse in new radiator.:D

tltcracing
09-29-2006, 03:36 PM
i see that some of the pros dont use oversised rads. they would run for more time then any of us could and would need the extra cooling but they dont need it so the stock rad seem fine to me.

jeepnrocks
09-30-2006, 10:56 AM
The cooler you keep your motor the better. I don't think you would need it as much in an MX application as you would in an XC application. I have overheated before due to mud clogging the rad. Now any motor will overheat if the rad gets clogged up but maybe with the extra surface area the machine would have been able to stay cool a little longer before overheating or not have overheated at all.
I have a fluidyne that mounted right up and another benefit that may not be readily apparent is how well made it is compared to a stock radiator. The stock rads take a serious beating from XC. Both mine and my buddies were beat to death after a yar of xc racing.

DirtDevilBT
09-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I thought the radiators were only thicker and not any wider, at least from the ones I've seen. I could see someone using a radiator on an MX track before an XC. The xc guys are running fast, more air moving past the rad. The mx guys arent running as fast all the time, plus most of them run without lights and fans.

Just a thought.

jason_david1
10-01-2006, 12:39 PM
what about on big bore applications such as a 480. should you run an oversized radiator with it?

DirtDevilBT
10-01-2006, 01:56 PM
Don't have to, just run some aftermarket coolant. If you feel you still need to then get the radiator.