PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Help

seitz729
09-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Parking Brake doesn't seem to be working. I just replaced the rear pads and would like to remove the parking brake entirely. I see that there is a parking brake plate available. When I removed the parking brake from the caliper there seems to be a brass pin sticking out from the middle of where I believe this backing plate covers. I am assuming that this pin is what puts pressure on the pad to engage the parking brake. Does this pin come out to mount the cover flush? Thanks for any guidance.

Dave
'04 400EX

JOEX
09-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by seitz729
Parking Brake doesn't seem to be working. I just replaced the rear pads and would like to remove the parking brake entirely. I see that there is a parking brake plate available. When I removed the parking brake from the caliper there seems to be a brass pin sticking out from the middle of where I believe this backing plate covers. I am assuming that this pin is what puts pressure on the pad to engage the parking brake. Does this pin come out to mount the cover flush? Thanks for any guidance.

Dave
'04 400EX
The pin is part of the caliper piston and stays there. It may or may not be necessary to remove some material from either the pin or the block off plate for things to fit together.

seitz729
09-27-2006, 08:33 PM
The blocking plates appear to be a flat flush mounted plate. Is there a hole in the blocking plate that this pin fits through?:confused:

svahle
09-27-2006, 08:38 PM
The block off plates will generally clear the "pin" you are referring to because they are designed with a hollow area for the pin. Some do not allow the pin to clear with fresh pads. In that case, just use a grinder and grind off the end of the pin.

seitz729
09-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Honda#4
09-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I have a Moose block-off plate and i had to file a little bit off. You should have no worries it's easy and you cant break anything.

Eviltanker
09-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Buy a MODQUAD, I did and it fit perfect without having to remove or grind the pin. They are only like 10-15 dollars

murphdogg
09-30-2006, 11:58 AM
take the entire parking brake and lever off completely and buy a new leaver then put a block-off plate on the calibre that goes on the rear disc brake. thats what i had to do, i had a lot of bad luck with my ex but check it out in 400 ex information/ex riders in canada!