PDA

View Full Version : I am so lucky....

700bRad
09-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Well just got back from a ride. It had rained for 30 minutes before we went out, but the canopy of my woods kept the ground pretty dry. I went out with a couple buddies. We were finding some new ravines to shoot, and of course being the (stupid) thrill seeker I am, I picked a big ravine that was pretty steep. I couldnt get a good run at it at all so I had to shoot in 1st. I tryed quick shifting into second on a practice run and decided it wasnt going to work. I lined back up after I settled for 1st and gave it hell. Defenitely didnt have enough tire spin and lost momentum 3/4th of the way up. I leaned over the bars and killed, the front tires came up so I threw the parking brake and jumped off while holding the front brake. By this time my buddies were already to the top of the hilll. She was hanging by a thread, if it would of rolled down I definetely would have totalled it. When my buddies got to the top chad threw a ciggerette in my mouth and lit it, for me. Then we slowy nursed it back down, took us about a 1/2 an hour. But hey it was fun! And I love a good adrenaline rush. :macho: Next time I line up with something that wicked ill at least make sure I have enough run to get her into 2nd or 3rd. It defenitely snapped me back to reality when I saw my baby sitting there. Anyone else trash there bike, from trying something stupid like this?

FourFiftyFour
09-27-2006, 05:59 PM
okay

700bRad
09-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
okay

Hillclimbs probably arnt your cup of tea if all you got to say is "okay" So bash if you wish, just thought I would tell you guys about my brush with death. :D

09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
okay

I don't get it. :confused:

But yeah, I trashed my handlebars when I was climbing a cliff. Made it about half way up, stopped completely and gave just a tiny bit more gas and the front end came up. Rolled backwards ontop of me. :(

700bRad
09-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Thats when you gotta close your eyes and wait to open them untill the bike settles at the bottom. Its always the worse when you watch it roll down haha. Were you injured?

Ghost-Rider
09-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Hillclimbs are fun i got some lil ones around my house ( nothing even meduim size really jsut real steep ) id post pics but their to big... ill have to get new ones.

JOEX
09-27-2006, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by 700bRad
Well just got back from a ride. It had rained for 30 minutes before we went out, but the canopy of my woods kept the ground pretty dry. I went out with a couple buddies. We were finding some new ravines to shoot, and of course being the (stupid) thrill seeker I am, I picked a big ravine that was pretty steep. I couldnt get a good run at it at all so I had to shoot in 1st. I tryed quick shifting into second on a practice run and decided it wasnt going to work. I lined back up after I settled for 1st and gave it hell. Defenitely didnt have enough tire spin and lost momentum 3/4th of the way up. I leaned over the bars and killed, the front tires came up so I threw the emergency brake and jumped off while holding the front brake. By this time my buddies were already to the top of the hilll. She was hanging by a thread, if it would of rolled down I definetely would have totalled it. When my buddies got to the top chad threw a ciggerette in my mouth and lit it, for me. Then we slowy nursed it back down, took us about a 1/2 an hour. But hey it was fun! And I love a good adrenaline rush. :macho: Next time I line up with something that wicked ill at least make sure I have enough run to get her into 2nd or 3rd. It defenitely snapped me back to reality when I saw my baby sitting there. Anyone else trash there bike, from trying something stupid like this?
Your quad has an emergency brake?

300ex_#387
09-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Your quad has an emergency brake?

He prolly meant parking brake. I've never seen one work once its left the dealer though.

CRich[814]
09-27-2006, 06:43 PM
did you try starting off in second then giving it hell?

700bRad
09-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Yes parking brake. But at the time I was using it for an emergency ;)

700bRad
09-27-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
did you try starting off in second then giving it hell?

Yea I tried, but only had a 6 to 7 yard run before I reached the base of it, my rpm's would be way to low for the steepness of the hill. Sure the 700 would have probably pulled on through but I didnt want to risk it, the first 20 feet of the hill would of been interesting. I underestimated my bikes capabilities i guess.

FourFiftyFour
09-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by 700bRad
Hillclimbs probably arnt your cup of tea if all you got to say is "okay" So bash if you wish, just thought I would tell you guys about my brush with death. :D

i said okay because your story was kind of pointless

1fst400
09-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a good time!

But from what I have found, if you have enough time to put your parking brake on. It isnt an emergency.

now this is what I call a hill climb
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qGUTy2QF3qM

suck my pipe
09-27-2006, 08:35 PM
lol dude 99.9 % of the time you can just turn it around with two people and ride it back down, it has to be almost straight up and down for it not to work. "I've done it more times then i could ever remeber.

300ex_#387
09-28-2006, 06:04 AM
i said okay because your story was kind of pointless

Don't post if you don't care.....Anyway how long was the hill? I think just about everyone that rides has had a close call like this.

hartnett18
09-28-2006, 06:47 AM
u must of needed a cig really bad in that kind of situation lol.

700bRad
09-28-2006, 08:54 AM
Ill ride back and get some pictures of it today. And it was to steep to turn it around. We had 3 people on it nursing it down backwards, and we almost lost it a couple times.