PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft mods?

eganracing
09-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Well i have decided to upgrade my stock 06 450r's engine into a true race engine. the bike is used for mx and occasionally trail riding. anyways i was planning on having it ported and polished, high comp piston, and probaly some kind of valve modifications. so my main question is should i have the crank redone by falicon? i know its very expensive and i was wondering if it is neccesary and if it would really make that big of a difference. any inout is appreciated.

2muchquad
09-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Falicon cranksare of the highest quality and workmanship.For your application they would be somewhat of an overkill but you'll have reliability and more time to focus on keeping valves in that thing instead of cranks.;) If you were building a no expense spared 540cc plus big bore stroker motor with nitrous for the sand drags then i could see it but not for your application.:)

Toadz400
09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
Better safe than sorry, these 450's are known for crank failures.

ALLUWANT
09-28-2006, 05:32 AM
hey 2muchquad. what do you mean by keeping valves in it.

2muchquad
09-28-2006, 06:03 AM
The crf 450s have been going through valves frequently at least on the bikes.I guess the quads have steel valves but thats only a temporary fix.Shim them twice then replace the valves.The valve seats wear pretty fast once the valves start cupping.:( The 450s are high performance indeed but at a price.For a racer that gets his parts for free or is rich its no biggie but they can be downright costly for just recreational riding especially if you replace parts at the recomended intervals but who does that.:D A built 400ex makes more sense for play riding imo.

ALLUWANT
09-28-2006, 06:08 AM
I didnt know you had to worry bout the valves. do you half to replace them or just a valve job? my fourwheeler is having some problems and i thought the springs were getting weak.