PDA

View Full Version : 86 motor, pipe estimated worth?

Pappy
09-27-2006, 05:08 PM
A feller just dropped of a 86 for a rebuild and is having me install a 310 so he wishes to sell off his stock 86 engine. It has not been started in over a year but did run the last time he rode it. (typical, bought quad , rode it then life hit him and its been parked)

I havent been in the buying/selling thing for some time and have no clue as to what they are selling for these days. Looks like the case saver took a wallop and broke the tabs but the case is intact and shows no signs of leakage or cracking(I will know more when i get it on the bench)

He also has a FMF fatty pipe and silencer in typical used condition.

Anyone having a geustimate on how I should fairly price these please reply!

Aughtx
09-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Engines go between $500 - $700. Most sell for around $600 and change. I would think his would too. The pipe and silencer $100-$120 for a chrome one in good condition. A rusty one half that.

Eddiesanders250
09-27-2006, 10:46 PM
the complete fmf fatty maybe $80.... there not worth that much

250Renvy
09-28-2006, 07:14 PM
If the motor has any kind of case damage it drops the price quite a bit. I'd say you're looking at around 450 for the motor and maybe 80 for the pipe.

Rebuilt motors usually go for 600-800 but if it's been sitting for a while, it'll probably need work and probably has no porting either so therefore it'll be less. Although on ebay at any given time if you get the right people bidding against each other it can go above actual value.

DPR250R
09-28-2006, 07:16 PM
$100 shipped to NJ :D

Pappy
09-28-2006, 07:17 PM
I figured its value would be down to it not being run etc. I may just hang on to it and rip into it. its a shame to see a R engine going to waste:D

Aughtx
09-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I figured its value would be down to it not being run etc. I may just hang on to it and rip into it. its a shame to see a R engine going to waste:D

$350 and you dont have to worry about it.

wilkin250r
09-28-2006, 10:14 PM
In reality, a year isn't all that long. I know many quads that sit dead for several months during the winter, you couldn't possibly say that their value is dropping.

However, the case damage is a big drop in value. Can the case saver still be mounted? And the pipe isn't going to fetch nearly as much combined in the package as it would on it's own.

As a package, you might get $400 as it sits, maybe. If you can verify it doesn't leak, that might add a little.

Aughtx
09-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
In reality, a year isn't all that long. I know many quads that sit dead for several months during the winter, you couldn't possibly say that their value is dropping.

However, the case damage is a big drop in value. Can the case saver still be mounted? And the pipe isn't going to fetch nearly as much combined in the package as it would on it's own.

As a package, you might get $400 as it sits, maybe. If you can verify it doesn't leak, that might add a little.

You might get $400 here but you can ebay it for more. Clean the pipe and engine up I bet you get at least $600 selling them seperatly before shipping.

Pappy
09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I have no doubts it would fire up.

The owner said to just sell it off but I couldnt even offer him a value. i like to be honest with folks especially when selling one of thoer parts. if i handed him back $300 he might get angry without the prior knowledge of a few expierenced folks suggestions, and for that i thank you

Aughtx
09-28-2006, 10:33 PM
I have no doubts it would fire up.

The owner said to just sell it off but I couldnt even offer him a value. i like to be honest with folks especially when selling one of thoer parts. if i handed him back $300 he might get angry without the prior knowledge of a few expierenced folks suggestions, and for that i thank you

Fire it up and then you can honestly sell it for $500-$600 on ebay. Heck even post a video of it running. Sight un seen I will pay $350.

Pappy
09-28-2006, 10:36 PM
i learned my lesson a while back. i sold an engine that i heard run and trusted that ended up failing alot sooner then the buyer had expected. from here on out, if i dont know everything about an engine i wont sell it on this site or ebay. id rather have it gone through so i sell a good engine:p

Aughtx
09-28-2006, 10:49 PM
i learned my lesson a while back. i sold an engine that i heard run and trusted that ended up failing alot sooner then the buyer had expected. from here on out, if i dont know everything about an engine i wont sell it on this site or ebay. id rather have it gone through so i sell a good engine:p

I have never dealt with you but your rep precedes you. Maybe a good running motor with your once over commands more $

Pappy
09-28-2006, 10:51 PM
lol, it wont be me giving it the once over, i would leave that to someone qualified:p but i thank you for your kind words.

wilkin250r
09-28-2006, 10:56 PM
He may be looking for reasons or explanations. You can tell him that new YZ426 motors sell for a pretty penny because they are in high demand, people want them. Not the same with 250r engines.

250r motors are scary. If people put a lot of money into them to keep them in good shape, (new clutches, new gears, maybe a side case,) they generally keep them. If somebody is getting rid of one, it's a pretty sure bet that they HAVEN'T put that money into them, and it's old and tired. Not only that, there are LOTS of them.

Regardless of what condition his engine is in, this is how the MARKET views things. This is the norm. Even if his engine is perfect, that doesn't drive the entire market into a feeding frenzy. The market says that old 250r engines just aren't worth all that much.

Pappy
09-28-2006, 11:02 PM
no doubt. i remember when almost any engine fetched a heathy price. i will tell him what i have been reading here and also price out what my mechanic tells me would bring the engine to ready status and let him make his choices. id like to save it and teach cody how to rebuild them at some point, but id have to break out a few book as its been a good 20 years since i did one
:p

wilkin250r
09-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Send Cody out west, and I'll have him teaching YOU within a week.

Oddly enough, old 250r engine don't sell for much, but a rolling chassis will fetch a decent price.