View Full Version : few suspension questions? lt? tt?

quader400
09-27-2006, 04:43 PM
im going to be getting a lt setup for my new 450r and had a few questions. im going to buy all used stuff and was wondering if someone had a sway bar would that take some of the resistance out of the springs holding it down all the time? also how important is it that the shcok is setup for the a-arm? thanks for any help

SANDFANATIC
09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
It's very important to have the shock setup for the A-arm. If its not, the shock won't work properly.

quader400
09-27-2006, 05:04 PM
how bad would it be to match a longtravel schock with a diffrent lt a-arm? it couldnt be that bad could it?

pudamac12
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
if the geometry of the a arms is similar then it should be able to be adjusted to work fine. If one has a high leverage ratio and the other has a real low leverage ratio then it might not ride the best.

Chino886
09-27-2006, 05:41 PM
If I understand the title correct, getting LT shocks and using a swaybar to hold the shocks compressed is counteractive, you are better off getting ST shocks for TT, that is my opinion and what I have been told!

SANDFANATIC
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by quader400
how bad would it be to match a longtravel schock with a diffrent lt a-arm? it couldnt be that bad could it?

It all matters on how off they are. If you try stuffing a 19" shock on a arm that only allows for a 17.5" shock, you will be putting way to much stress on the ball joints. Most likely it will fail.

quader400
09-27-2006, 08:14 PM
so if i match size of shock with the size of a-arms ill be fine? and no im not using a sway bar, but if i bought lt shocks that someone else had a sway bar would the shocks need to be services since the springs were held like that for so long?

400exrider707
09-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Chino886
If I understand the title correct, getting LT shocks and using a swaybar to hold the shocks compressed is counteractive, you are better off getting ST shocks for TT, that is my opinion and what I have been told!

How so? Either way thats not what a swaybar is used for.

Chino886
09-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
How so? Either way thats not what a swaybar is used for.

From what I understand, a swaybar is used to prevent "body roll" and to stabilize the front end to give a a "flatter" cornering ability, so in a quad, to accomplish this you would need to compress the shock or "limit" the travel of the shock to prevent the "roll".

The sway bar is used for stability, some TT or suspension guru please correct me if I am wrong, this is how I understand it.

Now, with that said, I don't understand what the advantage to having a longer shock in TT would be?

quader400
09-28-2006, 09:41 AM
what im doint is buyiing used shocks and the guy ive been talking to said he races tt and he showed me a pic and he had a sway bar on. so im wondering if i bought those would the springs be messed up from being held down for so long?

Chino886
09-28-2006, 09:46 AM
what im doint is buyiing used shocks and the guy ive been talking to said he races tt and he showed me a pic and he had a sway bar on. so im wondering if i bought those would the springs be messed up from being held down for so long?

They could be, but it is hard to determine with out riding it to tell if the springs are worn out!

Are you buying them off here? What is the members name?

It would probably be fine if you were going to used them for TT, but if they are going to be used for MX, you will want to check the springs.

Good Luck!

quader400
09-28-2006, 09:55 AM
yea they would be used for mx, thanks ill probably just look for some that werent used for tt

Chino886
09-28-2006, 09:56 AM
yea they would be used for mx, thanks ill probably just look for some that werent used for tt

No problem, I know some use them for TT, but I would just use stock shocks for TT if it were me!

I know springs can get expensive for a LT setup!

Good Luck!