PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust flange question

wykyd z400
09-27-2006, 01:53 PM
I noticed my exhaust was leaking between the flange, and cylinder. I pulled the 3 bolts out, and I seen the gasket is bad. The metal middle layer of the gasket is all thats left. I was wondering if I could put some red RTV silicone on both sides of the metal piece, and put it back together. I believe the original had asbestos layers, but the dealers are jerkin me around so bad, and I will use the RTV if it will work. Thanks.

Tom TRX250R
09-27-2006, 01:56 PM
First, if you do not have an aftermarket exhaust flange, I would advise picking one up, ESR sells a good quality unit. Then buy a new stock gasket and use the high temp RTV sealer around the gasket side and where the high temp o-rings are. After doing this you should not have a leak.

wykyd z400
09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Stock flange for now....Maybe soon I can get an ESR one tho. I just wanna put the RTV on the old gasket for now,but ONLY if its ok to do so.

C-LEIGH RACING
09-27-2006, 03:16 PM
You need to be sure that area of the exhaust is sealed good, around the flange & the pipe.
The function of the pipe has a returning wave back into the cylinder & can draw raw air in & can sometimes seize the piston.
Neil

86 Quad R
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
yea it'll be fine for now. ya can also clean up the flange where the expansion ring is and apply rtv hi temp there aswell.

wykyd z400
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
I bought the expansion ring for the flange, and a thin circular crush ring. Just put some RTV over the expansion ring also??

robyone
09-28-2006, 04:03 AM
^^^ Yep, I like to put a good bead around the inside of the pipe, and then slide the pipe on. Keep an eye on it, if it leaks again... repeat the process.
Make sure all your pipe mounts are on good, so the seal isn't broken from the pipe moving around.