View Full Version : my hopes for the '08 450r

450raider
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
now it seems to me that if i got like a million people to agree with this then honda would have to give in:

old motor- i read posts on here every other day where people are having trouble with the new motors so honda should go back to the old unit and make minor improvments.

old front end- same as motor i read on here about people saying how honda got it right the first time.

new rear end- i read somewhere in dirtwheels where some racing people changed everything but the stock rear swingarm so that is a good thing.

offer e-start and kicker at the same time on the 08: and make a hrc e-start kit for the 04-05R's.

make a deal with the renthal people: hey they're bikes already have them.

no new plastic for a long time: they should just keep the r looking like it does now.

efi: a big possibility but i do hope honda thinks of the rest of their loyal customers and makes a kit for efi to go on 04-07 r's

and these are just my thoughts and if anybody thinks im missing anything or has other thoughts then post and we'll see if we can pursuade honda to build one of the best quads of all time( just think how cool that would be) :D

Phills450r
09-27-2006, 11:53 AM
I think they should just be done with it and go out like the LTR but make a MX bike and a XC bike.. im not saying throw everything on it.. just help it out the box

TMSmx47
09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
I agree somewhat. They def should make a MX version and a XC version. Sales would def boost. Help the buyer out a bit like the LTR, but I dont think we really need EFI.. Theres not a big enough advantage over a finely tuned carb. Honda likes to be lighter, EFI add's to much weight at the moment. Look for it in 09 i think.

lumi
09-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
I agree somewhat. They def should make a MX version and a XC version. Sales would def boost. Help the buyer out a bit like the LTR, but I dont think we really need EFI.. Theres not a big enough advantage over a finely tuned carb. Honda likes to be lighter, EFI add's to much weight at the moment. Look for it in 09 i think.

i agree, also if the crf450r dirtbikes dont have it yet on the 07 i doubt the 450r will have it for 08 either. crf450r dirtbike always comes out with the changes first than they get throw to the quad the next year. but i can def. bet that for next year the 08 version of the crf450r and x will have efi, most likely. we will have to see.

-lumi

DEAL
09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
they will test the efi on the quads first .. which is why the rincon has it next year.

TMSmx47
09-27-2006, 04:16 PM
Actually I think the Rincon already has it now... Thats the test dummy to work out the bugs. Def dont think the TRX will get it first.. But I could be wrong..

DEAL
09-27-2006, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by TMSmx47
Actually I think the Rincon already has it now... Thats the test dummy to work out the bugs. Def dont think the TRX will get it first.. But I could be wrong..

Next year .. as in 07.

pudamac12
09-27-2006, 05:36 PM
i saw pics in a dirt bike magazine that honda of japan was testing a 08 crf450 with fuel injection

lumi
09-27-2006, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by pudamac12
i saw pics in a dirt bike magazine that honda of japan was testing a 08 crf450 with fuel injection

yup your right, i saw the same thing, honda most likely wont take the efi from the rincon if there testing it on the 450r and 450x dirtbikes, as they are almost exactly the same engine with diff porting comapred the 450r atv.

-lumi

Flodies400ex
09-27-2006, 07:30 PM
yea I think all the bikes are ready for race but not like the honda and yamaha and the honda are still alittle tall for racing and they should make it look like all the other bikes and the the electric start should have the kick e-start combind and they should have kick only for racing.

CHEVYZ
09-28-2006, 05:51 AM
I hope they don't go with fuel injection. Big waste of money IMO. I'd rather drop a jet in and be off compared to having to keep buying and reprogramming electronics hoping that nothing associated with it breaks.

As for the older model engine, that sounds kind of lame. The older engines had just as many.... IMO more problems than the newer ones, and they aren't NEAR as potent without putting big bucks in them. As for the older model based front end, I somewhat agree on that. I find my 05 is much easier to handle than my 06.

nater344
09-28-2006, 06:54 AM
Reverse would be nice for the trail riders

450ERRRRRR!
09-28-2006, 07:16 AM
I've got the 06 and have had not ONE problem yet!
It start within 1-2 seconds. I have rejetted and turned up the idle.
The only problem I can think of is it eats tires and the front end likes to look at the clouds!! I change the oil often and manily use it for XC. I dont really run the piss out of it too, Im an old guy,46.
I think it's one fine running machine, I love it,If it could fit in my bed I'd sleep with it!!

Flodies400ex
09-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by nater344
Reverse would be nice for the trail riders

you no what I thought i read about the kfx450R for 2008 has reverse and fuel injected so thats kinda cool if they do get reverse because i ride trial and such so its a good idea

exrider44
09-28-2006, 07:43 AM
I have no problems with my 04? I read somewhere on here Dasa is getting more power out of the 04 and 05 motor then the 06. Is that true?

TMSmx47
09-28-2006, 09:38 AM
I heard the same thing about DASA..

450raider
09-28-2006, 10:51 AM
well does anyone agree that whatever honda does for the 08 or 09 they should make an hrc kit or something of what it is to put on 04-07 and not leave their other customers in the dark? (like i sometimes feel with my 04 and the only reason i havent went to yellow or green is because iv always been about honda and im trying to stay honda).

DEAL
09-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by CHEVYZ
I hope they don't go with fuel injection. Big waste of money IMO. I'd rather drop a jet in and be off compared to having to keep buying and reprogramming electronics hoping that nothing associated with it breaks.

As for the older model engine, that sounds kind of lame. The older engines had just as many.... IMO more problems than the newer ones, and they aren't NEAR as potent without putting big bucks in them. As for the older model based front end, I somewhat agree on that. I find my 05 is much easier to handle than my 06.

Or you don't throw a jet in at all and the efi compensates for the added flow...
Or you simply plug in a wire .. hit a button and it does it for you.. much easier than playing with jets.

CHEVYZ
09-28-2006, 01:57 PM
You can have your opinions as I have mine. Changing the jets takes a couple of minutes and is cheap and easy. Programmers are fairly expensive, harder to tune, and have to be changed... or at least retuned according to mods just like jets. Now, you can get your tuning spot on with EFI compared to carbs, but for me it just is not necessary to necessarily be THAT close. It may be nice as an option for those who want it... I will stick with carbs.

atvwdsrcer
09-28-2006, 02:00 PM
I agree with going back with the 04'-05' front end(spindles). I'd also like to see them fix the electric start to fire as fast as the 400ex. I have added a kick start on mine and it does start alot faster, 1 kick or sit there and wait for the electric:mad: . How about adjustable upper a-arms stock? That would be sweet. Modify the rear linkage to smooth out all the bucking. Stronger ,longer lasting a-arm bushings that are easier to replace. Anyone try to get the clip out so that you can replace the bearings? Renthal bars stock is a very good idea (bulge bars).

atvwdsrcer
09-28-2006, 02:34 PM
I just remembered one more thing for honda to fix. Treated (not coated) intake valves. My stockers only lasted 6 months and that was with making any shim adjustments as they were needed. I check everything on my 06' very often , before and after every race.

mikesutphin
09-28-2006, 08:07 PM
they need to lower the seat height and change that ugly front end an tank. it doesnt have that aero dynamic look like a 250r. i love honda, but now there making all there quads look like that.

fox17
09-29-2006, 08:41 AM
i think they should put the CRF450R engine in it. i have never heard of any problems with it and it rips. they need to al be kick imo. at least make more kick ones. i hate electric start. too much weight and all that crap on the handlebars. get rid of the battery and all the crap. i like the idea of a xc version. and i agree that they need to look the same for ever. the baddest lookin quad out there. they need to come with woody graphics kits though. thats just my $.02.

Jersey450R
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
04-05 motor with a different frame design (aluminum), better rear end, and different gearing and we will be on top again.

as the way i see it, Kawi just stole the show. n e 1 have any idea how fast that quads gonna be?!

fox17
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
why a old engine? the crf engine is perfect. more power, they are durable, probably more parts for them too.an aluminum frame would be sick.

fox17
09-29-2006, 09:24 AM
the crf is a race bike so the trx should be a crf with 4 wheels. they could make an x and r version too. lights and electric start vs. no lights and kick. the x is quieter. has a battery and all that crap. the r is a pure race bike. if honda was smart they would make them just likr the crf 450r and crf 450x. then you could choose which one you wanted. trail/joy riders could have their electric crap and we could have our race bikes.

Flodies400ex
09-29-2006, 10:48 AM
well thats what I heard thats what they are going to do because its faster and there are 2 types of bikes like you said and for the trail riders they should *** the reverse optional