PDA

View Full Version : Graphics on aftermarket or exposed tanks...grrrrr

infantry317
09-27-2006, 10:03 AM
I haven't had any success getting graphics to stay on an IMS(trx450R) or Clark(YFZ) tank for more than 6 months. I've heard from an insider that the gas leaches through, therefore you'll be reapplying graphics quite often, or running without which I do.

Once they peel off you'll notice that there is little or no adhesive left stuck to the tank sides. I think the gas eats up the adhesive.

Anyone got good solutions? I remember seeing my buddies' TRX450R Rox machine, his graphics were bubbling off his stock tank.

CannondaleRider
09-27-2006, 10:36 AM
A buddy of mine put some Acerbis stickers on his stock tank on his 450R, and they would not stop bubbling. Pretty sure it was from gas fumes venting through the plastic.

When he put an IMS tank on it, with stickers and such, never had a problem with it.

09-27-2006, 11:02 AM
the best way to do it is drain all fuel from the tank and let it sit, with the cap off, and dry out for a day or 2, then apply the graphics before you put in any fuel...

infantry317
09-27-2006, 01:17 PM
...Both my tanks' graphics/decals were put on brand new empty tanks, and wiped down with iso alcohol before application. They still started to peel after two months.

Crazy Diamond
09-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Did you ever leave your red gas cans out in the sun??? It swells. Then when it cools it retracts. Same thing happens to your gas tank. Try putting them on in the winter. The can tank doesn't swell. I has some decals on all winter but as soon as summer came they bubbled! Just happens from the decal stretching and then shrinking. It will happen every day when it is hot.

infantry317
09-30-2006, 04:35 PM
ATV tanks do not swell and contract (except for the plastic wall itself), they have a breather hose, so the pressure inside the tank is always at the same as outside. The tanks leach gas.

09-30-2006, 05:23 PM
Maybe try putting a bunch of little holes in them like on some of the graphics for the 450r. Lets it breath, and shouldnt bubble and stuff.

Crazy Diamond
10-01-2006, 05:47 PM
From what I understand the breather hose is a one way valve that lets air in and not gas out! Otherwise your fuel wouldn't flow into your carb. It doesn't let gas out so why would it let fumes out! Also if it did let fumes out my shed would be highly explosive when I walked in there in the summer with 3 quads stored in there and yet I smell no gas!

firefighterjosh
10-05-2006, 02:08 AM
The cap has a one way vavle in it. if you pinch the line the quad will not run since it is causing pressure. (might take a bit to die though)

TRX400JIM
10-07-2006, 07:35 AM
You should try out TechSpecs tank grips. I've had them for over a year and they havn't bubbled up on me, I can grip the tank and I love functional part of the grip. Cool stuff :D

CannondaleRider
10-07-2006, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Crazy Diamond
From what I understand the breather hose is a one way valve that lets air in and not gas out! Otherwise your fuel wouldn't flow into your carb. It doesn't let gas out so why would it let fumes out! Also if it did let fumes out my shed would be highly explosive when I walked in there in the summer with 3 quads stored in there and yet I smell no gas!

Most "one way valves" are a check-ball setup. gravity pulls the ball downward, so air can get in if needed, and fumes can come out(just because you don't smell them, doesn't mean it doesn't happen) When the quad is tipped upside down, the check ball falls to the top of the breather, sealing(hopefully) the fuel from leaking.

Originally posted by firefighterjosh
The cap has a one way vavle in it. if you pinch the line the quad will not run since it is causing pressure. (might take a bit to die though)

That wouldn't be pressure, it would actually create a vacuum.

firefighterjosh
10-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider

That wouldn't be pressure, it would actually create a vacuum.

Thats what I meant:o lol

QuadJunkies
10-08-2006, 09:01 PM
We just gave up and took ours of the tank... :ermm:

infantry317
10-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
We just gave up and took ours of the tank... :ermm:

I heard ya, the ones with the holes in them are better, but
I've seen them ripple also.

QuadJunkies
10-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
I heard ya, the ones with the holes in them are better, but
I've seen them ripple also.
These had the holes, as a matter of fact.. EVERY SINGLE450r Ive seen at the track has the same bubbles in theres. :ermm:

400exrider707
10-11-2006, 09:18 AM
Its not going to work no matter what you do. Like you said the gas leaches through. Either dont put them on, or expect to replace them often. Putting them on at certain times of the year will have no effect. The graphics with the holes I guess are a little better, but its still going to bubble up.

chris75
10-13-2006, 08:10 PM
anyone ever try the duncan racin graphics on a 400ex? how did that make out?

infantry317
10-13-2006, 10:04 PM
You'll be fine on a 400ex, they don't have an exposed tank;)

chris75
10-14-2006, 06:10 PM
nice thanks man

450rJam
10-15-2006, 10:53 AM
anyone try using spray glue or anything to "re-stick"
the old ones ?
mine has bubbled so much that the middle (where the tank curves) dont stick anymore.
I was thinking of maybe the spray adhesive used to install headliners in cars ?

I dont want to spray the tank but maybe if I pull the graphic off
I can spray it then re-aply

maybe if I get ahold of oneindustries I can buy just the tank stickers, instead of buying the whole kit.

bradley300
10-16-2006, 08:38 AM
ive got graphics on my clarke tank on the blaster and they stay just fine?? mxprographx did mine. maybe you guys just dont have enuff holes or slits in the graphics

infantry317
10-16-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
anyone try using spray glue or anything to "re-stick"
the old ones ?
mine has bubbled so much that the middle (where the tank curves) dont stick anymore.
I was thinking of maybe the spray adhesive used to install headliners in cars ?

I dont want to spray the tank but maybe if I pull the graphic off
I can spray it then re-aply

maybe if I get ahold of oneindustries I can buy just the tank stickers, instead of buying the whole kit.

I've used 3M Super77 spray, holds for a little while, but bubbles within days.

PismoLocal
10-16-2006, 04:58 PM
has any one tried epoxy or super glue???

450rJam
10-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Im afraid to use superglue..........................

lol, you try it first.

infantry317
10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by 450rJam
Im afraid to use superglue..........................

lol, you try it first.

:eek2: I can see this won't go well :D

You know superglue "melts" plastic together right?...

I have a feeling super glue/gas/tank plastic will not play well together. You won't need to buy meth after that combination of fumes. :devil:

firefighterjosh
10-16-2006, 08:16 PM
Use a Hot Glue Gun:p