PDA

View Full Version : Kymco in Dirt Wheels

mecheech
09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
My son Jakie Boy made the letters section of Dirt Wheels(pg.34) He and I are reall happy with his Mongoose 50, with one exception.
When we head down to Oregon dunes he needs more power. I am throwing around either getting a new Mongoose 90 or a Honda 90 just for Dunes, then when he gets older he would ride it more. Anyone able to make a comparison of those two?

Traindog71
09-27-2006, 05:54 AM
Just can make a comparison from the basic info

Honda:
4 Speed Semi Auto
All Drum Brakes
Many Accessories on the market
Can be upgraded to 107cc with bolt on BBK for more power in the dunes
Wealth of info on the net about the Honda
New Models have electric start and 450R styling
As I said, many many choices to accessorize and improve power/suspension/handling
Electric or Pull Start Depending on Year Model
You can slap in a 125cc pit bike engine rather cheap for full clutch and much more power

Kymco:
1 Year Warranty
If you want same bike with different look, you can buy the KFX90 or the DVX90, just more expensive (Kawi $2149 AC $2299) and only 6 month warranty, Kymco $1999 MSRP
Electric Start with Kick Backup
Only 1 Exhaust on the Market (Desert Toyz ATV)
Limited Accessories (Rath Racing for Nerfs and Bumper)
Does use common 4/110 wheel pattern
Rear Disk Hydraulic Brake
Only Power Upgrade is Powroll 120cc kit (nice that it doesnt require stroked crank, just resleeve and bore, pretty sure Powroll is using a XR80 piston and sleeve, but don't quote me, you can probably do it on your own cheaper) and Powroll CAM
Kymco does offer extended A-Arms (+2 if you ever want to race it)

I am going to buy a 2007 KFX90 today for my son, dealer quoted me $2125 OTD, I know I get less warranty, but he loves the look of the Kawi and by name, it will have a higher resell value when he outgrows it