PDA

View Full Version : freakin' brake pad shim

knighttime
10-14-2001, 08:04 PM
What is the purpose of the brake pad shim?:huh

My guess is that it keeps the piston from stickin' to the back of the pad.

Reason 4 question:

I'm in the process of putting Fastline stainless steel lines and Vesrah kevlar front and sintered metal rear pads on my 400ex. I did c something about a shim in the manual while replacing the rear brake, but I ignored it. :( While replacing the front pads I discovered the pad shims. After searching through the garbage can I have recovered the rear pad shim.:cool: I'm gonna put the shim in the rear brake now.

Terry (Marcum's ATV) said this setup when completed, will make a 400ex stop like a 250R. I never rode a 250R, but I know that means I will have kick-*** brakes.
What is the purpose of the brake pad shim?:huh

MOFO
10-15-2001, 09:26 AM
Mike,

That shim that you are talking about is actually a brake feeler (noise maker thing)....I think. I've been running my brakes without that little thin thing. Never had any problems. Thats all it looks like....it squeals when your pads are almost done. Just keep an eye on your pads and you wont need it.

Eric

barbwire44
10-15-2001, 10:00 AM
the dealer told me its suppose to help hold the pad against the piston and eliminate vibration and save the slider pins.

JabberJaw
10-15-2001, 10:26 AM
After I finish working on my bike, I allways have a lot of extra parts left over... I am just going to keep them and build another bike!

MOFO
10-15-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by barbwire44
the dealer told me its suppose to help hold the pad against the piston and eliminate vibration and save the slider pins.

sounds like an interesting reason. I'm still running mine without it....maybe I'll put it back on when I change my pads again....

Eric

10-15-2001, 12:09 PM
knighttime don't forget the,,,trick on the brake fluid.:D :D

barbwire44
10-15-2001, 12:33 PM
hey rico that comment doesnt sound so good coming from a man.

10-15-2001, 01:05 PM
Well there's a trick to getting the brake fluid to the calipers on the 400,,,I reworded it though,,,and yes I am manly,,,woo hoo..:D

"BLAHH"300!!
10-17-2001, 10:50 PM
man thats not even funny and i'm craking up'
haha

are you guys talking about tha little peice of metal that kinda shows when your brakes are almost out-

if so what would it matter if it's on or not

flat piece of metal with a bend on the end
like the letter - r

knighttime
10-18-2001, 07:35 AM
No, we are talking about a thin metal stamping that should be attached to the back of the brake pad on the piston side of the caliper. I dont think it does much, but i did put it back on my rear brakes.